Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting difference in unix vs. linux sort Post 302446448 by Corona688 on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 05:50:39 PM
Old 08-18-2010
How about, instead of copy/pasting into gedit, you copy the original file, from the original source and try it on that? Not copy-paste, get the file itself. Copy-pasting is likely where the change is likely happening. Character sets might be getting changed slightly(or maybe you have a different character set than me), whitespace mangled. (things like tabs get copy/pasted as spaces, usually.) Especially copy-pasting from a web browser tends to eat multiple spaces.

Gentoo linux.
Code:
 $ sort --version
sort (GNU coreutils) 7.5
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by Mike Haertel and Paul Eggert.

Last edited by Corona688; 08-18-2010 at 06:55 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between unix and linux?

Ok, I'm confused. Can someone answer these (stupid) questions please for me? 1. What is the difference between unix and linux? 2. Is FreeBSD a unix distribution? 3. If not, then what is Unix? I actually gone to Unix.com because I thought this is it's official website where I could download... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RellioN
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between UNIX and Linux

OK, I've used various versions of UNIX(Solaris, HPUX, etc..) over the years. Now the organization I work for is leaning towards more Linux based systems(Redhat, Suse, etc..) I do see differences in in comands and how to accomplish basic adminstration, but nothing mind blowing. So, what is it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is the difference between Unix & linux

:confused: Hi All Can anyone help me in finding the answer of the question mentioned below. What is the difference between Unix & linux ? Thanks in Advance to all CSaha (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaha
1 Replies

4. AIX

difference between AIx and Linux and Unix

Sir , Can any body explain the difference between linux , Unix and AIx on command Reference all the command on AIx and unix is same or not please reply (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arif185
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between unix and linux

Hi I am new to linux I have dout waht is the difference between UNIX and LINUX Is there any soft for insatallation for UNIX OS Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaya
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between UNIX and Linux

hi experts please tell me the real difference between unix and linux at kernel structure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linurag
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX compare, sort lines and append difference

Hi, I have a file that needs to be converted: content is: a, b, 4 a ,b, 5 x, y, 1 a, b, 1 x, y, 3 how can i get: a, b, 1|4|5 x,y 1|3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nike27
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To make it easier, i gave following example. It is not homework or classwork. Instead, i have a huge csv file dump from tsql with 15 columns and around 300 rows. I was able to extract content that needs to be really converted. Here is the extract: ES FP,B1ES FP,70000,I,SL22,SL22 (70000) ES... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To make it easier, i gave following example. It is not homework or classwork. Instead, i have a huge csv file dump from tsql with 15 columns and around 300 rows. I was able to extract content that needs to be really converted. Here is the extract: ES FP,B1ES FP,70000,I,SL22,SL22 (70000) ES... (8 Replies)
8 Replies
LOOK(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   LOOK(1)

NAME
look -- display lines beginning with a given string SYNOPSIS
look [-dfa] [-t termchar] string [file] DESCRIPTION
The look utility displays any lines in file which contain string as a prefix. As look performs a binary search, the lines in file must be sorted (where sort(1) got the same options -d and/or -f that look is invoked with). If file is not specified, the file /usr/share/dict/words is used, only alphanumeric characters are compared and the case of alphabetic char- acters is ignored. Options: -d Dictionary character set and order, i.e. only alphanumeric characters are compared. (On by default if no file specified). -f Ignore the case of alphabetic characters. (On by default if no file specified). -a Use the alternate dictionary /usr/share/dict/web2 -t Specify a string termination character, i.e. only the characters in string up to and including the first occurrence of termchar are compared. The look utility exits 0 if one or more lines were found and displayed, 1 if no lines were found, and >1 if an error occurred. FILES
/usr/share/dict/words the dictionary /usr/share/dict/web2 the alternate dictionary SEE ALSO
grep(1), sort(1) COMPATIBILITY
The original manual page stated that tabs and blank characters participated in comparisons when the -d option was specified. This was incor- rect and the current man page matches the historic implementation. HISTORY
Look appeared in Version 7 AT&T Unix. AVAILABILITY
The look command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. BSD
June 14, 1993 BSD