Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Write-Write on a socket
Top Forums Programming Write-Write on a socket Post 302446415 by Corona688 on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 03:00:24 PM
Old 08-18-2010
Nothing bad happens when you write to both ends at the same time. What precisely happens when depends on a lot of things like buffers, framing, and transit time, but two-way traffic is still just business as usual. If the data has arrived by the time one of them finishes a write(), yes, a read() may be able to get it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

read/write socket error

I have client and server connected. client write and read from csock. server write and read from ssock suppose the server does : .... close(ssock); //send FIN to client othertask(); .... READ ERROR if after the server close() the client does: ... read(csock,...); ...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio
2 Replies

2. Programming

How to Write Linux Friendly Async Socket I/O

I am presently refactoring a windows deamon with an eye towards porting it to linux someday. Presently the application uses a single background thread and asynchronous socket I/O to implement FTP and HTTP clients in a single switch statement (2000 lines and 100 cases just for the switch... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

Can we write a multiple thread to receive from a single socket file descriptor

Hi Friends, I have written a program which will listener for more than 1000 requests per second from a single socket descriptor and then it will process those requestes. Its taking X amount of time. Now i want to reduce that time. Will I can write multiple threads to receive the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa.chidhambaram
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

5. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

6. Programming

write on Non Blocking Socket

How to know whether socket is ready for write. select(maxfds, (fd_set *)NULL, &writefds, NULL, &timeout); By default socket is set for write without checking whether it would block or not? If so how do I know my FD is ready for writing. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read and write to tcp socket

Hello all, I have a requirement to read and write to a tcp socket from an HP-UX shell script. I see a /dev/tcp character device on my servers: crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 72 0x00004f Mar 28 18:37 /dev/tcp So I believe this is what I should use. The problem is that all the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to write write multiple cronjobs in shellscript??

Hi All, I need the answer of below question? 1) How to write multiple cronjobs in shellscript? Is there any way or we cant write in shellscript... Regards, Priyanka (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
2 Replies

9. Programming

Interactive Python 3.5+ sys.stdout.write() AND sys.stderr.write() bug?

(Apologies for any typos.) OSX 10.12.3 AND Windows 10. This is for the serious Python experts on at least 3.5.x and above... In script format sys.stdout.write() AND sys.stderr.write() seems to work correctly. Have I found a serious bug in the interactive sys.stdout.write() AND... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies
SYNCER(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						 SYNCER(4)

NAME
syncer -- file system synchronizer kernel process SYNOPSIS
syncer DESCRIPTION
The syncer kernel process helps protect the integrity of disk volumes by flushing volatile cached file system data to disk. The kernel places all vnode(9)'s in a number of queues. The syncer process works through the queues in a round-robin fashion, usually pro- cessing one queue per second. For each vnode(9) on that queue, the syncer process forces a write out to disk of its dirty buffers. The usual delay between the time buffers are dirtied and the time they are synced is controlled by the following sysctl(8) tunable variables: Variable Default Description kern.filedelay 30 time to delay syncing files kern.dirdelay 29 time to delay syncing directories kern.metadelay 28 time to delay syncing metadata SEE ALSO
sync(2), fsck(8), sync(8), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The syncer process is a descendant of the 'update' command, which appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX, and was usually started by /etc/rc when the system went multi-user. A kernel initiated 'update' process first appeared in FreeBSD 2.0. BUGS
It is possible on some systems that a sync(2) occurring simultaneously with a crash may cause file system damage. See fsck(8). BSD
July 14, 2000 BSD