Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete blank lines from a file Post 302446414 by Damon_Qu on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 03:00:04 PM
Old 08-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by durden_tyler
You can use sed for that.

Code:
sed '/^$/d' your_file > new_file
mv new_file your_file

tyler_durden
thanks anyway
is there any other good ideas? I dont want to solve the problem like this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete blank lines or lines with spaces only

hi there i'm trying to delete blank lines and or lines with spaces only from a series of files in an directory. to do so, i'm using this: for files in `ls /users/myname/pesop* 2>/dev/null` do grep -v ^$ $files > newfile mv newfile $files done now, this works great for blank lines but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vascobrito
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex to delete multiple blank lines in a file?

can't figure out a way to delete multiple empty lines but keep single empty lines in a file, file is like this #cat file 1 2 3 4 5 6 - What I want is 1 2 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blank lines at the end of file

I am attempting to delete blank lines in my file and I've used this command: sed '/^$/d' $file > $file.fixed all this seems to do is copy the file and not delete the blank lines located at the end of the file. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TL56
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete blank lines from a file

can anyone show me how to delete blank lines from a file. thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why cant i delete blank lines?

I have a sed pipeline: myVar=$(cat $FILE | sed -n '/regex/,/regex/{/regex/d;p}' | sed -n '/regex/!p' | sed -e s/*:// | sed /regex/,+8d \ ) sed '/^$/d' sed '/./!d' And i've tried to add that in a different order rather then just on the end..Why isnt it deleting all the blank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omgsomuchppl
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blank lines, if blank lines are more than one using shell

Hi, Consider a file named "testfile" The contents of file are as below first line added for test second line added for test third line added for test fourth line added for test fifth line added for test (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil8103
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blank lines in a file

Hi All, I have a file and I need to delete the lines that are blank and is starting with some characters below. Something like below: Regular Ascii File: Line1: AGODA1 BUSAN||SK Lord Beach 4/6/2012 4/7/2012 68060 Line2: AGODA2 BUSAN||SK Beach Hotel 4/6/2012 4/7/2012 610200 Line3: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file

Hi Gurus, Somebody can say me how to delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file unix, please. Thank you for advanced. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tried many options but unable to delete blank lines from text file

Hi, I tried the following options but was unable to delete blank lines from file Input file = temp.hash.txt temp.hash.txt content 90 0 89.56 0 0 57575.4544 56.89 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: uuuunnnn
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delete multiple lines between blank lines containing two patterns

Hi all, I'm looking for a way (sed or awk) to delete multiple lines between blank lines containing two patterns ex: user: alpha parameter_1 = 15 parameter_2 = 1 parameter_3 = 0 user: alpha parameter_1 = 15 parameter_2 = 1 parameter_3 = 0 user: alpha parameter_1 = 16... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ce9888
3 Replies
sdiff(1)						      General Commands Manual							  sdiff(1)

NAME
sdiff - side-by-side difference program SYNOPSIS
[options ...] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
uses the output of diff(1) with the option, which ignores trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) and treats other strings of blanks as equal, to produce a side-by-side listing of two files, indicating those lines that are different. Each line of the two files is printed with a blank gutter between them if the lines are identical, a in the gutter if the line only exists in file1, a in the gutter if the line only exists in file2, and a for lines that are different. For example: abc | xyz abc abc bca < cba < dcb dcb > cde Options recognizes the following options: Use the next argument, n, as the width of the output line. The maximum value of n is 2048 (LINE_MAX). The default line length is 130 charac- ters. Only print on the left side when lines are identical. Do not print identical lines. Use the next argument, output, as the name of a third file that is created as a user-controlled merging of file1 and file2. Identical lines of file1 and file2 are copied to output. Sets of differences, as produced by diff(1), are printed; where a set of differ- ences share a common gutter character. After printing each set of differences, prompts the user with a and waits for one of the following user-typed commands: append the left column to the output file append the right column to the output file turn on silent mode; do not print identical lines turn off silent mode call the editor with the left column call the editor with the right column call the editor with the concatenation of left and right call the editor with a zero length file exit from the program On exit from the editor, the resulting file is concatenated on the end of the output file. EXAMPLES
Print a side-by-side diff of two versions of a file on a printer capable of printing 132 columns: Retrieve the most recently checked in version of a file from RCS and compare it with the version currently checked out: SEE ALSO
diff(1), ed(1). sdiff(1)