Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Out of swap but RAM available Post 302446069 by JerryHone on Tuesday 17th of August 2010 03:42:48 PM
Old 08-17-2010
Clearly I am misunderstanding!Smilie I thought that RAM was used in preference, and when there wasn't enough available, the OS started swapping memory pages to disk. If this isn't the case, I'd appreciate a one paragraph tutorial on what really happens!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Minimum RAM

Can anyone tell me the minimum ram requirements for suse 6.1 & mdk9 please? Will they accept edo ram? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: onestepto
3 Replies

2. Solaris

RAM and SWAP confusion

Hi Folks, This is my first post here - so nice to meet u all :-) Recently i was trying to dig a little bit into the memory structure of my machine and due to the lack of concept, cannot figure out a calculation. This is how it goes: 1) My swap slice is at the usual /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: s4g3
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Swap config - Mirror swap or not?

Hello and thanks in advance. I have a Sun box with raid 1 on the O/S disks using solaris svm. I want to unmirror my swap partition, and add the slice on the second disk as an additional swap device. This would give me twice as much swap space. I have been warned not to do this by some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

red hat Linux 5.0 is detecting 3gb ram but physical ram is 16gb

Hi, On server 64bit Hw Arch , Linux 5.0(32bit) is installed it is showing only 3gb of ram though physical is 16gb can u give me idea why? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

swap not defined as swap

free -m : 1023 total swap space created default partition /dev/sdb1 50M using fdisk. i did write the changes. #mkswap /dev/sdb1 #swapon /dev/sdb1 free -m : 1078 total swap space this shows that the swap is on Question : i did not change the type LINUX SWAP (82) in fdisk. so why is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplinux
5 Replies

6. Solaris

How much portion of RAM is allocated to Swap space?

How swap is getting 12GB as its size as per the below output: Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 7.9G 2.1G 5.7G 27% / /devices 0K 0K 0K 0% /devices ctfs 0K 0K 0K 0% /system/contract proc 0K 0K 0K 0% /proc mnttab 0K 0K 0K 0% /etc/mnttab swap 12G 1.2M 12G 1%... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramnagaraj
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

RAM Size

Can anyone let me know whether there is a command to know the RAM capacity in GB? I have tried cat /proc/meminfo and free.But its not in GB. I need to use it in script. Thanks and Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rupaa
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

more swap and ram used in application

Hi All, I have a RAM of around 11 gig and swap of around 18 G in my Linux Server. But at some times , I find that All the RAM and 5 gig of swap is used in server...and i also got some advice from our discussion forums to increase the RAM . But nowadays what happens is the all the RAM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Explain the output of swap -s and swap -l

Hi Solaris Folks :), I need to calculate the swap usage on solaris server, please let me understand the output of below swap -s and swap -l commands. $swap -s total: 1774912k bytes allocated + 240616k reserved = 2015528k used, 14542512k available $swap -l swapfile dev swaplo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seenuvasan1985
6 Replies
vzcalc(8)							    Containers								 vzcalc(8)

NAME
vzcalc - calculate resource usage of a container SYNOPSIS
vzcalc [-v] CTID DESCRIPTION
This utility displays the share of the host system resources a particular container is using. If the container is running, the current usage is displayed. High utilization values (>100%) mean the system is overloaded (or the container has an invalid configuration). Current Shows the amount of the resources consumed by the container at a given time. Promised Shows the resources soft limit values "promised" for a given container. Max Shows the resources hard limit values "promised" for a given container. If the -v option is specified, the following additional information is also displayed: Low Mem The part of memory residing at lower addresses and directly accessed by the kernel (only makes sense for 32-bit architectures). Total RAM Total memory. Mem+Swap Amount of memory available for applications (both RAM and swap space). Alloc Mem Standard memory allocations made for applications in a container. This is a more "virtual" system resource than RAM or RAM and swap. Num. Proc Number of processes. OPTIONS
-v Display additional information. EXIT STATUS
Normally, the exit status is 0. On error, the exit status is 1. LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2000-2009, Parallels, Inc. Licensed under GNU GPL. OpenVZ 10 Dec 2009 vzcalc(8)