Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to Read a file and assigning each line to a variable? Post 302445901 by shyamaladevi on Tuesday 17th of August 2010 06:39:21 AM
Old 08-17-2010
Thank you friends,I changed and used like this
Code:
v1=`echo $var | awk '{print $1}'`
v2=`echo $var | awk '{print $2}'`

where var is the variable which contains the values.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read and store each line of a file to a variable

Hi all, I'm quite new to unix and hope that someone can help me on this. I'm using csh. Below is what i intend to do. 1. I stored some data in a file. 2. I intend to read the file line by line and store each line of data into a variable, so that i can used it later. Anyone have any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seijihiko
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning the output of a command to a variable, where there may be >1 line returned?

Hello I am using unix CLI commands for the Synergy CM software. The command basically searches for a folder ID and returns the names of the projects the folder sits in. The result is assigned to a variable: FIND_USE=`ccm folder -fu -u -f "%name"-"%version" ${FOLDER_ID}` When the command... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning last line to variable in expect

As part of an expect script, I have to convert a strange user ID to a conventional UNIX ID. To do this, I read the contents of a file and do a little awk magic. Here's that bit of the expect script: send "awk 'NF == 10 && \$NF == strange_user_id {print \$(NF-2)}' file_with_my_info\r" expect... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: read file line by line (lines have '\0') - not full line has read???

I am using the while-loop to read a file. The file has lines with null-terminated strings (words, actually.) What I have by that reading - just a first word up to '\0'! I need to have whole string up to 'new line' - (LF, 10#10, 16#A) What I am doing wrong? #make file 'grb' with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a file line by line and store it in a variable to execute a program ?

Hello, I am quite new in shell scripting and I would like to write a little scritp to run a program on some parameters files. all my parameters files are in the same directory, so pick them up with ls *.para >>dirafter that I have a dir file like that: param1.para param2.para etc... I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadok
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the variable from the line and use it to find the file and read the content of that file

Hi, I am working on one script..I am having files in the below format file 1 (each line is separated with : delimeter) SPLASH:SPLASH:SVN CIB/MCH:MCH:SVN Now I want from file 1 that most left part of the first line will store in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning Variable to Line Numer in nl

hi, i'm creating a little menu for some users. i'm running the command: du -a /apps | sort -n -r | head -n 10 | nl i then get the top 10 files by size in the /apps directory the output is like this: 1 101415752 /apps 2 89188064 /apps/userA 3 74521335 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: horhif
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning file to a variable

Hi, I have a list of files in a directory. Each file has a .txt and a .log extension i.e. file.txt & file.log, file1.txt & file1.log etc. The file with the .log extension may not always exist alongside the file with the .txt extension. I need to copy the .txt file if there is a corresponding... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: brunlea
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do While Loop + Read From File + assign line to a variable

Hello, I am using below code for reading from a file and assigning the values to a variable , but it is loosing the value after the loop , please suggest to retain the value of the variable after the loop , while IFS=: read -r line do set $dsc=$line echo 'printing line variable ' $line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ParthThakkar
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Assigning a variable to be the value of FNR at a certain line

Sorry for the probably strangely worded title but I don't really know how else to put it. Background context: Post processing LAMMPS simulation data. tl;dr: I'm making two spheres collide, every defined timestep the simulation outputs a bunch of data including total energy of the particles,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ThomasP
10 Replies
IS_SCALAR(3)								 1							      IS_SCALAR(3)

is_scalar - Finds whether a variable is a scalar

SYNOPSIS
bool is_scalar (mixed $var) DESCRIPTION
Finds whether the given variable is a scalar. Scalar variables are those containing an integer, float, string or boolean. Types array, object and resource are not scalar. Note is_scalar(3) does not consider resource type values to be scalar as resources are abstract datatypes which are currently based on integers. This implementation detail should not be relied upon, as it may change. Note is_scalar(3) does not consider NULL to be scalar. PARAMETERS
o $var - The variable being evaluated. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE if $var is a scalar, FALSE otherwise. EXAMPLES
Example #1 is_scalar(3) example <?php function show_var($var) { if (is_scalar($var)) { echo $var; } else { var_dump($var); } } $pi = 3.1416; $proteins = array("hemoglobin", "cytochrome c oxidase", "ferredoxin"); show_var($pi); show_var($proteins) ?> The above example will output: 3.1416 array(3) { [0]=> string(10) "hemoglobin" [1]=> string(20) "cytochrome c oxidase" [2]=> string(10) "ferredoxin" } SEE ALSO
is_float(3), is_int(3), is_numeric(3), is_real(3), is_string(3), is_bool(3), is_object(3), is_array(3). PHP Documentation Group IS_SCALAR(3)