Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting FTP stores unwanted chars to output file Post 302445679 by dipeshvshah on Monday 16th of August 2010 07:27:15 PM
Old 08-16-2010
Thanks for the reply.

I need to use FTP because files are setting on remote server.

Let me give you more details about my problem.

I have backup_server and application_server.

backup_server has directory aaa. I need to check from application server
that is there any new files created today in the aaa dirctory. if yes, all files were created today or partial files?.

Based on all or partial, I have perform some actions from application server, before transferring files from backup_server to applicaiton_server.

I am not expert in scripting. Please suggest me the way.

Thanks
Dip

---------- Post updated at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:52 PM ----------

Code:
#Defining variables and assigning values
USR='admin'
PASSWD='test'
HT='test.linux.ca'
FILE='S*.pdf'
DIRNAME='/docs'

echo $HT
ftp -n -i -v $HT <<end_ftp
user $USR $PASSWD
cd $DIRNAME
CT=ls -RF | sed -e '/^$/d' -e '/.*[/@:=|>]$/d' |wc -l
echo $CT
bye
end_ftp

It says invalid command. Can some one write. How to write the code
to count files on remote server.

Thanks
dip

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert C source from 8bit chars to 16bit chars?

I was using the following bash command inside the emacs compile command to search C++ source code: grep -inr --include='*.h' --include='*.cpp' '"' * | sed "/include/d" | sed "/_T/d" | sed '/^ *\/\//d' | sed '/extern/d' Emacs will then position me in the correct file and at the correct line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Diff output, unwanted characters

I've got a diff command running in a shell script that writes the ouput to a new file. In the new file there is a ">" at the beginning of each line. The output file is going to be used by another program and that character makes the file useless. What I'm getting in the new file: > 2007-09-27... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scanner248
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem in FTP of file with chinese chars

Hi, I have a file in my PC with Chinese (PRC) characters. When I transfer that file into my AIX5.3 server through FTP, I get junk characters instead of Chinese chars. Last week I copied the content from my notepad and pasted in vi editor. The Chinese characters were correct, but when I try now,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: carthyc
4 Replies

4. Linux

Output to 1 file from two files in FTP

I am currently in FTP. I want to transfer two files and need the out put in One file. Can you help me.... For eg: if i am doing mget from 1 server to other. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manish.s
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find 4 chars on 2nd line, 44 chars over

I know this should be simple, but I've been manning sed awk grep and find and am stupidly stumped :( I'm trying to use sed (or awk, find, etc) to find 4 characters on the second line of a file.txt 44-47 characters in. I can find lots of sed things for lines, but not characters. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output trimming after 80 chars

Hi All, I have a small issue with my shell script, I call a sql query from it and the output of the query is a Varchar2 data of approx 100 chars. But while printing the data on the console, only 80 chars are printed. The same thing happens even while redirecting the output to a file, only 80... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayakawasthi
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to find file which stores IP address

Hi all, I am new to this forum and this is my first question :). Using Red hat Linux.I tried to find file which stores IP address based on different helps given in this forum but did not get success. Here is the system details: -bash-3.2$ lsb_release -a LSB Version: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barkha
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Not logging ftp connections in /var/adm/wtmpx file (in last command output)

Hi all, I have F5 load balancer on my system and checking service status by opening an ftp session in every 30 seconds. These ftp sessions are being logged in /var/adm/wtmpx and filling up the file. when i run the last command most of the output is this ftp session. I was wondering if there is a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cepxat
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute python file, FTP output to another server

Greetings all, We are implementing a new tool called URLwatch which is a python utility. Here are the requirements. 1) Run every 10 seconds 2) Execute the python script 3) Output file gets generated, FTP it to a differernt server I gave no idea how to do this and management needs a demo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to split data with a delimiter having chars and special chars

Hi Team, I have a file a1.txt with data as follows. dfjakjf...asdfkasj</EnableQuotedIDs><SQL><SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The delimiter string: <SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! dlm="<SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The above command is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
7 Replies
GENBACKUPDATA(1)					      General Commands Manual						  GENBACKUPDATA(1)

NAME
genbackupdata - generate backup test data SYNOPSIS
genbackupdata [--chunk-size=SIZE] [--config=FILE] [-c=SIZE] [--create=SIZE] [--depth=DEPTH] [--dump-config] [--dump-setting-names] [--file-size=SIZE] [--generate-manpage=TEMPLATE] [-h] [--help] [--list-config-files] [--log=FILE] [--log-keep=N] [--log-level=LEVEL] [--log-max=SIZE] [--max-files=MAX-FILES] [--no-default-configs] [--output=FILE] [--quiet] [--seed=SEED] [--version] DESCRIPTION
genbackupdata generates test data sets for performance testing of backup software. It creates a directory tree filled with files of dif- ferent sizes. The total size and the distribution of sizes between small and big are configurable. The program can also modify an exist- ing directory tree by creating new files, and deleting, renaming, or modifying existing files. This can be used to generate test data for successive generations of backups. The program is deterministic: with a given set of parameters (and a given pre-existing directory tree), it always creates the same output. This way, it is possible to reproduce backup tests exactly, without having to distribute the potentially very large test sets. The data set consists of plain files and directories. Files are either small text files or big binary files. Text files contain the "lorem ipsum" stanza, binary files contain randomly generated byte streams. The percentage of file data that is small text or big binary files can be set, as can the sizes of the respective file types. Files and directories are named "fileXXXX" or "dirXXXX", where "XXXX" is a successive integer, separate successions for files and directo- ries. There is an upper limit to how many files a directory may contain. After the file limit is reached, a new sub-directory is created. The first set of files go into the root directory of the test set. You have to give one of the options --create, --delete, --rename, or --modify for the program to do anything. You can, however, give more than one of them, if DIR already exists. (Giving the same option more than once means that only the last instance is counted.) (DIR) is created if it doesn't exist already. OPTIONS
--chunk-size=SIZE generate data in chunks of this size (default: 16384) --config=FILE add FILE to config files -c, --create=SIZE how much data to create (default: 0) --depth=DEPTH depth of directory tree (default: 3) --dump-config write out the entire current configuration --dump-setting-names write out all names of settings and quit --file-size=SIZE size of one file (default: 16384) --generate-manpage=TEMPLATE fill in manual page TEMPLATE -h, --help show this help message and exit --list-config-files list all possible config files --log=FILE write log entries to FILE --log-keep=N keep last N logs (10) --log-level=LEVEL log at LEVEL, one of debug, info, warning, error, critical, fatal (default: debug) --log-max=SIZE rotate logs larger than SIZE, zero for never (default: 0) --max-files=MAX-FILES max files/dirs per dir (default: 128) --no-default-configs clear list of configuration files to read --output=FILE write output to FILE, instead of standard output --quiet do not report progress --seed=SEED seed for random number generator (default: 0) --version show program's version number and exit EXAMPLES
Create data for the first generation of a backup: genbackupdata --create=10G testdir Modify an existing set of backup data to create a new generation: genbackupdata -c 5% -d 2% -m 5% -r 0.5% testdir The above command can be run for each new generation. GENBACKUPDATA(1)