Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extracting only words from a log file Post 302445356 by agama on Sunday 15th of August 2010 03:33:18 PM
Old 08-15-2010
I failed to mention that I was running the sed as a part of a script and redirecting the file to be searched to the script. Hence, no filename was given on the command. I hope that didn't trip you up. Add the input filename between the closing single quote and the pipe to sort if you haven't.

If you've done that, and you are still having issues, then can you post the sed command you used (to check for typos etc), the first few lines of the input file, and the first few lines of output, someone might be able to help. Really cannot offer anything more without a bit more detail about what is happening.

Last edited by agama; 08-15-2010 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: fix typo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting some words

i run a command that submits a word to WordNET which stores the search results in a document which looks like this... i searched "car" in this instance and id like to extract auto, automobile, machine, and store it in a file with the , , stripped away just the words. WordNET's results' template... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark_nsx
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Text Between Two Words

Hi all! Im trying to extract a portion of text from a KML and put it into a new file. Im trying to get all of the points out of it, ignoring everything else so I need only the text between <Placement> and </Placement>. Is there a way to make it extract all instances of these points and not just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting part of line between two words

Hi, I have a file few hundred MB's with text like one below in single line. 20091117 abc xyg 20091117 def ghi 20091118 ppp ttt 20091118 zzz zzz xxx I need to extract part of line from 1st occurence of pattern 20091117 till first occurence of another pattern 20091118. I tried... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: artistic94555
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

words extracting

Hi, Pls assist. dn: uid=test,ou=test,dc=com description: password sunIdentityServerDeviceStatus: Active uid: test objectClass: sunIdentityServerDevice objectClass: iplanet-am-user-service objectClass: top objectClass: iPlanetPreferences sunIdentityServerDeviceType: blabla cn: default... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with extracting words from fixed length files

I am very new to scripting and need to write a script that will extract the account number from a line that begins with HDR. For example, the file is as follows HDR2010072600300405505100726 00300405505 LBJ FREEWAY DALLAS TELEGRAPH ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bds052189
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting words from file

I am having a file from which i need to extract different length words into different file. For example 2 letter word into file2, 3 letter word into file3 and so on.... I did one using grep and shell script.. for (( i=1; i<7; i++)) do egrep -o '\<\(?{$i}\)?\>' $1 | sort -u -f|tr >file$i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akhay_ms
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - Extracting multiple key words from stdout

Hello. From command line, the command zypper info nxclient return a bloc of data : linux local # zypper info nxclient Loading repository data... Reading installed packages... Information for package nxclient: Repository: zypper_local Name: nxclient Version: 3.5.0-7 Arch: x86_64... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Words from Text

Hi there, Unix Gurus Back in September last year you helped me find a way to extract the words in brackets in a textfile to a new one. In that case my textfile was made up of sentences containing an only bracketed word per sentence/line: 1. If the boss's son had been , someone would... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldeingles
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting words and lines based on keywords

Hello! I'm trying to process a text file and am stuck at 2 extractions. Hoping someone can help me here: 1. Given a line in a text file and given a keyword, how can I extract the word preceeding the keyword using a shell command/script? For example: Given a keyword "world" in the line: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seemad
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep a log file for words listed in separate text file?

Hello, I want to grep a log ("server.log") for words in a separate file ("white-list.txt") and generate a separate log file containing each line that uses a word from the "white-list.txt" file. Putting that in bullet points: Search through "server.log" for lines that contain any word... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
15 Replies
comm(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two sorted files SYNOPSIS
file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
comm reads file1 and file2, which should be ordered in increasing collating sequence (see sort(1) and Environment Variables below), and produces a three-column output: Column 1: Lines that appear only in file1, Column 2: Lines that appear only in file2, Column 3: Lines that appear in both files. If is used for file1 or file2, the standard input is used. Options 1, 2, or 3 suppress printing of the corresponding column. Thus prints only the lines common to the two files; prints only lines in the first file but not in the second; does nothing useful. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the collating sequence expects from the input files. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of ``C'' (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to ``C''. See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
The following examples assume that and have been ordered in the collating sequence defined by the or environment variable. Print all lines common to and (in other words, print column 3): Print all lines that appear in but not in (in other words, print column 1): Print all lines that appear in but not in (in other words, print column 2): SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sdiff(1), sort(1), uniq(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
comm(1)