Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cat files from subdirectories output using same filename Post 302444797 by agama on Thursday 12th of August 2010 09:55:02 PM
Old 08-12-2010
Something like this should work (assuming that your present working directory contains the 20?? directories.)

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env ksh

target=/tmp/cats
find 20?? -name "*.mp" | while read file
do
        base=${file##*/}    # ditch the directory portion of the filename
        cat $file >>$target/$base.new    # I like to add .new to prevent accidental overwriting while testing!
done

Change target to the directory you want to put the output files into and you're good to go.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to agama For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat and output filename

Hi, how I can display a file with cat and printing the filename before each line. e.g. file1 { one two three four five } Output: file1:one file2:two file1:three file1:four file1:five (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timmää
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename from splitting files to have the same filename of the original file with counter value

Hi all, I have a list of xml file. I need to split the files to a different files when see the <ko> tag. The list of filename are B20090908.1100-20090908.1200_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml B20090908.1200-20090908.1300_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml B20090908.1300-20090908.1400_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

wget same filename from subdirectories and rename or concat

I would like to wget a file "index.html" from a site which is lies in different subdirectories and is different in size. The index.html shall be concatenated or renamed to index01.html index02.html .... I would like to store this file in just one directory and use the option -nd. Though i can't get... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively cat files in a directory with filename printed first.

I want to recursively cat the content of files in a directory e.g. find /etc -type f -exec cat {} \; But I want it to print the file name first and then the content. For example let's say /etc/statetab and /etc/colord.conf will be printed first then I want the output to look something like; ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting output from a file similar to cat output

I have a file # cat /root/llll 11 22 33 44 When I cat this file content to a variable inside a shell script and echo that shell script, it does not show up as separate lines. I need echo output similar to cat. cat /root/shell_script.sh #!/bin/bash var=`cat /root/llll` echo $var (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question

#!/bin/bash # name=$1 type=$2 number=1 for file in ./** do if then filenumber=00$number elif then filenumber=0$number fi tempname="$name""$filenumber"."$type" if (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGreatGizmo
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to all the files inside a directory excluding subdirectories and .zip files

Hii, Could someone help me to append string to the starting of all the filenames inside a directory but it should exclude .zip files and subdirectories. Eg. file1: test1.log file2: test2.log file3 test.zip After running the script file1: string_test1.log file2: string_test2.log file3:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat files listed in text file and redirect to new directory with same filename

I have a directory that is restricted and I cannot just copy the files need, but I can cat them and redirect them to a new directory. The files all have the date listed in them. If I perform a long listing and grep for the date (150620) I can redirect that output to a text file. Now I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trigger467
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find all files containing string not following symlinks CAT (modified) output content to /filename

This should recursively walk through all dirictories and search for a specified string in all present files, if found output manicured content (eg some regex) with CAT into a specified directory (eg /tmp/) one by one, keeping the original names This is what I have so far, which seems to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to calculate average of all files in directory and output by part of filename

I am trying to use awk to calculate the average of all lines in $2 for every file in a directory. The below bash seems to do that, but I cannot figure out how to capture the string before the _ as the output file name and have it be tab-delimeted. Thank you :). Filenames in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
cd(1)							      General Commands Manual							     cd(1)

NAME
cd - change working directory SYNOPSIS
[directory] DESCRIPTION
If directory is not specified, the value of shell parameter is used as the new working directory. If directory specifies a complete path starting with or directory becomes the new working directory. If neither case applies, tries to find the designated directory relative to one of the paths specified by the shell variable. has the same syntax as, and similar semantics to, the shell variable. must have execute (search) permission in directory. exists only as a shell built-in command because a new process is created whenever a command is executed, making useless if written and pro- cessed as a normal system command. Moreover, different shells provide different implementations of as a built-in utility. Features of as described here may not be supported by all the shells. Refer to individual shell manual entries for differences. If is called in a subshell or a separate utility execution environment such as: (which invokes on accessible directories) does not affect the current directory of the caller's environment. Another usage of as a stand- alone command is to obtain the exit status of the command. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. Environment Variables The following environment variables affect the execution of The name of the home directory, used when no directory operand is specified. A colon-separated list of pathnames that refer to directories. If the directory operand does not begin with a slash character, and the first component is not dot or dot-dot, searches for directory relative to each directory named in the variable, in the order listed. The new working directory is set to the first matching directory found. An empty string in place of a directory pathname represents the current direc- tory. If is not set, it is treated as if it was an empty string. EXAMPLES
Change the current working directory to the directory from any location in the file system: Change to new current working directory residing in the current directory: or Change to directory residing in the current directory's parent directory: Change to the directory whose absolute pathname is Change to the directory relative to home directory: RETURN VALUE
Upon completion, exits with one of the following values: The directory was successfully changed. An error occurred. The working directory remains unchanged. SEE ALSO
csh(1), pwd(1), ksh(1), sh-posix(1), sh(1), chdir(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
cd(1)