Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Directory path shortening ???? Post 302444735 by shashi792 on Thursday 12th of August 2010 04:02:58 PM
Old 08-12-2010
Question Directory path shortening ????

As it was a new topic i started a new thread.

There are different Directories under
Code:
"$HOME/rsh/Desktop/at/bin/bellhop/ and $HOME/rsh/Desktop/at/examples/"

i want to perform some operation like cp or mv

Is it possible to do

Code:
R=$HOME/rsh/Desktop/at/bin/bellhop/
P=$HOME/rsh/Desktop/at/examples/
S=$HOME/rsh/Desktop/at/results

(assuming there is a directory 'x' under bellhop/x/file1 and similarly 'y' under /examples/y/file2)

cat  $R/x/file1 $P/y/file2 >$S/xy/file3

as i will be executing several commands of this fashion, i would try to avoid writing such big lines, is there an alternative way to achieve this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shortening Numbers

Hi, I'm using ksh and I'm trying to shorten a column of figures. For example, I'd like to turn: 3456789.9876 to 89.98 567.4956 to 67.49 4669493932.34564 to 32.34 ... so the input figure will vary in length, I'm not worried about rounding, I just want the two... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jonny2Vests
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get directory name from its path?

If I the path to a directory, what command can I use to return the actual name of that directory. test=`pwd`/folder1 > $test folder1 I'd rather avoid anything with regular expressions. Any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ordano
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find . -printf" without prepended "." path? Getting path to current working directory?

If I enter (simplified): find . -printf "%p\n" then all files in the output are prepended by a "." like ./local/share/test23.log How can achieve that a.) the leading "./" is omitted and/or b.) the full path to the current directory is inserted (enclosed by brackets and a blank)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

file name shortening for multiple directories

there was a post previously about this from around 2010 but i was unable to get the suggested scripts there to work. the following code works for me when it's saved inside the directory of files whose names i want to shorten, but i would like to be able to store it in a file with a list of ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giseismology
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shortening a awk command

The purpose of the below is to grab the 9th field of the data in "$epochtimeframe". and then translate that data (which is an epoch time), into a human readable form. echo $epochtimeframe | awk -F"--" '{print $9}' | awk -F"," '{print $2}' | perl -pe 's/(\d+)/localtime($1)/e' i'm sure many... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keep last directory from path

Hello, I am looking for a command that will give me the last directory name from a path ex 1 : /dir1/dir/2/dir3/ output needed dir3 ex 2 : /dir1/dir/2/dir3/dir4/ output needed dir4 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aswex
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
RSH(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    RSH(1)

NAME
rsh -- remote shell SYNOPSIS
rsh [-Kdnx] [-k realm] [-l username] host [command] DESCRIPTION
Rsh executes command on host. Rsh copies its standard input to the remote command, the standard output of the remote command to its standard output, and the standard error of the remote command to its standard error. Interrupt, quit and terminate signals are propagated to the remote command; rsh normally termi- nates when the remote command does. The options are as follows: -K The -K option turns off all Kerberos authentication. -d The -d option turns on socket debugging (using setsockopt(2)) on the TCP sockets used for communication with the remote host. -l By default, the remote username is the same as the local username. The -l option allows the remote name to be specified. Kerberos authentication is used, and authorization is determined as in rlogin(1). -n The -n option redirects input from the special device /dev/null (see the BUGS section of this manual page). If no command is specified, you will be logged in on the remote host using rlogin(1). Shell metacharacters which are not quoted are interpreted on local machine, while quoted metacharacters are interpreted on the remote machine. For example, the command rsh otherhost cat remotefile >> localfile appends the remote file remotefile to the local file localfile, while rsh otherhost cat remotefile ">>" other_remotefile appends remotefile to other_remotefile. FILES
/etc/hosts SEE ALSO
rlogin(1), kerberos(3), krb_sendauth(3), krb_realmofhost(3) HISTORY
The rsh command appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
If you are using csh(1) and put a rsh in the background without redirecting its input away from the terminal, it will block even if no reads are posted by the remote command. If no input is desired you should redirect the input of rsh to /dev/null using the -n option. You cannot run an interactive command (like rogue(6) or vi(1)) using rsh; use rlogin(1) instead. Stop signals stop the local rsh process only; this is arguably wrong, but currently hard to fix for reasons too complicated to explain here. Linux NetKit (0.17) August 15, 1999 Linux NetKit (0.17)