Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ls -l on a directory and grep for a variable Post 302444633 by funksen on Thursday 12th of August 2010 10:08:03 AM
Old 08-12-2010
the shell will not substitute $d when masked with '', use ""
This User Gave Thanks to funksen For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep a variable?

Hi, I'd like to grep a variable that I saved in the program. Like grep '0\$variable1' file1 Does someone know what's wrong with this command? Thanks a lot! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep a variable

Hi all, I am trying to do a simple thing in my mind. However I am fairly new to bash. What I need to do is create a folder for each partition on each CD, and each partition has a unique name (with spaces in it, do not ask why, it is already done :confused: ) . All CD's will show up... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgstuart
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

directory as variable

I have the code below, which works fine when I have directories like dir1 and ../dir but does not work with ~/dir. Can anyone help? echo enter a directory read dir echo $dir if then echo it is a dir else echo not dir fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: desperatelySeek
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep all files in a directory

I am not sure if i am doing this correctly since it returns quickly. i need to grep for a keyword in all files in a directory grep keyword /mydirectory is that correct? I just want to know which files have a keyword in it. i am using korn shell in solaris 5.1. There does not appear to... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
12 Replies

6. Solaris

grep recursively in a directory

Hi, how to grep recursively in a directory on Solaris OS. grep -r throws an error that -r is an invalid option. Please tell me if you have any solution. Regards, Jeevan. ps. I searched this forum for solution, but could not find anything useful. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jredx
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep using variable

how can I use grep with a variable to find a value? cat data.out Hello World grep "Hello World" data.out Hello World ## Value found I want to do something like this but can't seem to get it to work any suggestions would be appreciated. var="Hello World" grep $var data.out (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep through a variable

I want to search a text in file but that file is pointing to variable. ex: file=there was nothing special grep "there was nothing" $file but its not working . Can u let me know that how we can use variable($file) in grep command. Please use code tags (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: allthanksquery
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep using variable

I have a pattern like: column "5" is missing PS: the no is in double quotes. The number usally changes, so we use a loop to grep. grep 'column "$number" is missing' filename.txt But it is not working.... How to solve this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep all the files inside the directory and Sub directory

Hi, I have used the command cat * | grep -r <<String>> * It returns: cat : JAN : is directory *********************** ********************* My directory structure: log - JAN -catalina.out -FEB -catalina.out -MARCH ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
11 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)