Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Help piping tail to read STDIN Post 302444518 by Samb95 on Thursday 12th of August 2010 05:36:58 AM
Old 08-12-2010
MySQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
Are you sure that the regex is correct (I didn't test it)?
Other than that, you're printing without a newline at the end, so any output probably gets buffered. Either add a "\n" to the end, or disable output buffering by setting $| to 1.
Hi pludi,

Yes the regular expression is correct. It gives me exactly what I want, I have tested it. I will try to the "\n" at the end and let you know if it worked.
Thanks

---------- Post updated at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
Are you sure that the regex is correct (I didn't test it)?
Other than that, you're printing without a newline at the end, so any output probably gets buffered. Either add a "\n" to the end, or disable output buffering by setting $| to 1.
Sorry but, how do I do to say that the thread is solved ??

Hey pludi, it works. I would never had thought that a missing "\n" would cause the whole thing to not work.

Thanks a lot

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping output to while read

Hi. Im using cat to output the contents of a file, then piping it to my while read loop.In this loop variables get assigned values. However when i try to use the variables outside the loop their values has been reset.I understand about subshells etc. but I have no idea how to "preserve" the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ultimodiablo
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping output of tail running in background

Not sure why this does not work in bash: tail -f err.log |& -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `&' I am attempting to continuously read a file that is being updated by doing a "tail -f" on the file and piping the output to stdin which can then be read by the next shell command Thnx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuramdas
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping tail to awk to parse a log file

Hello all, I've got what I'm pretty sure is a simple problem, but I just can't seem to work past it. I'm trying to use awk to pretty up a log file, and calculate a percentage. The log file looks like this: # tail strtovrUsage 20090531-18:15:45 RSreq - 24, RSsuc - 24, RSrun - 78, RSerr -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping through commands read as variables from file

This is going to be part of a longer script with more features, but I have boiled it down to the one thing that is presently stumping me. The goal is a script which checks for updates to web pages that can be run as a cron job. The script reads (from a tab-delim file) a URL, an MD5 digest, and an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fitzwilliam
1 Replies

5. Programming

read and write stdin/stdout in unix

Hi, i am using the below program to read from the standard input or to write to standard out put. i know that using highlevel functions this can be done better than what i have done here. i just want to know is there any other method by which i find the exact number of characters ( this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read tail -F command output in perl

Hi All, How I will read the output of the tail -F command in perl. I have text file with below contains file1.txt 1 2 3 4 $running=1; sub openLog($) { (my $log) = @_; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pravin27
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar/cpio/pax read patterns from stdin

tar has the -T operand for reading patterns from a file. Is there any way to read patterns from stdin, without creating a temp file? I would like to avoid iterating over the archive repeatedly (e.g. with a loop or xargs) as this is a large archive and we're only extracting a small number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] Piping Problem

Hey, I want to create a new file (devices) with the 39th and the 40th character of the line wich is in the array line and in the file drivers. But unfortunately my try doesn't work: sed -n '$linep' drivers | cut -c 39-40 | echo >>devices Perhaps one of you can help me. Thank you! emoly ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: emoly
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Tail command issue in Linux

Hello, When I am trying to use tail +13 filename.csv it is throwing an error. tail: cannot open `+13' for reading: No such file or directory and then prints last 10 lines of the file. (File is present on the path) But when i try tail -13 filename.csv it runs perfectly. Could I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AnkitSenghani
5 Replies

10. Programming

How to read extended ASCII characters from stdin?

Hi, I want to read extended ASCII characters from keyboard using c language on unix/linux. How to read extended characters from keyboard or by copy-paste in terminal irrespective of locale set in the system. I want to read the input characters from keyboard, store it in an array or some local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
3 Replies
TAILF(1)							   User Commands							  TAILF(1)

NAME
tailf - follow the growth of a log file SYNOPSIS
tailf [OPTION] file DESCRIPTION
tailf will print out the last 10 lines of a file and then wait for the file to grow. It is similar to tail -f but does not access the file when it is not growing. This has the side effect of not updating the access time for the file, so a filesystem flush does not occur peri- odically when no log activity is happening. tailf is extremely useful for monitoring log files on a laptop when logging is infrequent and the user desires that the hard disk spin down to conserve battery life. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -n, --lines=N, -N output the last N lines, instead of the last 10. -V, --version Output version information and exit. -h, --help Display help and exit. AUTHOR
This program was originally written by Rik Faith (faith@acm.org) and may be freely distributed under the terms of the X11/MIT License. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY for this program. The latest inotify based implementation was written by Karel Zak (kzak@redhat.com). SEE ALSO
tail(1), less(1) AVAILABILITY
The tailf command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux February 2003 TAILF(1)