Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Whats the error in this script ? Post 302444388 by sheelscripter on Wednesday 11th of August 2010 08:12:30 PM
Old 08-11-2010
Whats the error in this script ?

Can someone help me figure out the error with this simple script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

fact()
{

if [ $1 -gt 1 ] ; then

p=`fact expr $1 - 1`
        else
                echo $1
        fi
        echo `expr p \* $1`

}

echo "Enter a number you wish to calculate factorial of"

read NUM

echo "Factorial of $NUM is : " `fact $NUM`

Thanks for help!

---------- Post updated at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:46 PM ----------

Code:
$ ./factorial.sh 
Enter a number you wish to calculate factorial of
./factorial.sh: line 7: [: expr: integer expression expected
expr: non-numeric argument
expr: non-numeric argument
Factorial of 3 is : 
$

Last edited by pludi; 08-12-2010 at 02:01 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

whats the purpose of the following script?

whats the purpose of the following script? who could run it? To what is the script refering that exceeds 75%? The mailbox? What does sed 's/%//' do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vrn
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong with this script?

Hi all, #!/bin/ksh BIN=/interface/Gunner age=$1 directory="$2" && directory=. cd "$directory" || exit 1 from=`$BIN/today -$age` cd $BIN for i in `cat filestoarchive.txt`;do cd $i find . -mtime 14 | grep -v '.tar$' | $BIN/dttmfilter | awk '$1<="'$from'"{ print;};' | \ done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayarsenal
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Whats wrong in this Script ???

PATH="/clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay" MAIL_RECIPIENTS="xyz@abc.com" Subject="File accessed in last minutes:" find $PATH -type f -amin -1 > temp.txt.$$ cat temp.txt.$$ | \ while read line do fuser -uV $line >> tempmail.txt done cat "$tempmail.txt" | mailx -s "$Subject"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Whats wrong in the script?

if then if then echo "fst argument is $1 " else if then "fst argument is $1" fi fi fi Can anyone tell me. My requirement is tht pass a string .. Check whether it contains "-". If yes then check if it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nehagupta2008
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats the error in this script

#!/bin/sh #usblcd clear while true; do tail -1 /root/Myprogs/apurva.log > /root/Download/usr/bin/output.txt cat /root/Download/usr/bin/output.txt | echo `awk '{if ($3 == "Connection"&&$4 == "Established") print"Connection Established "} else if {($3 == "DTNCO"&&$4 ==" Sent" && $5="Packet")... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: appu1987
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats the problem whit my script???

I want to take the even-numbered lines from a file and put them in a separate file and the same thing with the odd-numbered lines. #!/bin/bash file=$1 awk ' { if ( NR % 2 == 0) { (( getline < "$file" ) > "even.txt" )} else { (( getline < "$file" ) > "odd.txt" )} } ' $file (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cristi2008
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

whats error in code ??

if `egrep -c "safe_mode" /usr/local/lib/php.ini` - gt 0 && " `egrep -c "safe_mode" /usr/local/lib/php.ini` = "On" " then echo " Good " exit else echo " Not Good "; fi and (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: x-zer0
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong with my script?

I am trying to find a value within a properties file and declare it into a variable. Script below. I want the "memSize" to be the branch from the properties file. Right now it always tells me "Not found" What am I doing wrong? #!/bin/sh memsize =''; memSize=`sed '/^\#/d'... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
8 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Whats wrong with this shell script!!!!!

hi guys can you tell me if anything is wrong with this script, seems reasonable to me but somehow never works. Script redacted for being too explicit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Freddo
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sh Script whats wrong?

Hi there, i have a problem i have created followning sh files some years ago but now it dosen`t work anymore i never used it a long time. Can anyone find the Error? Its always runs the stop() block and trying to Killing the Server also if i try to start or creat a new one. #!/bin/sh stop()... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewCannon
6 Replies
fmlexpr(1F)							   FMLI Commands						       fmlexpr(1F)

NAME
fmlexpr - evaluate arguments as an expression SYNOPSIS
fmlexpr arguments DESCRIPTION
The fmlexpr function evaluates its arguments as an expression. After evaluation, the result is written on the standard output. Terms of the expression must be separated by blanks. Characters special to FMLI must be escaped. Note that 30 is returned to indicate a zero value, rather than the null string. Strings containing blanks or other special characters should be quoted. Integer-valued arguments may be pre- ceded by a unary minus sign. Internally, integers are treated as 32-bit, 2s complement numbers. The operators and keywords are listed below. Characters that need to be escaped are preceded by . The list is in order of increasing precedence, with equal precedence operators grouped within {} symbols. USAGE
Expressions expr | expr Returns the first expr if it is neither NULL nor 0, otherwise returns the second expr. expr & expr Returns the first expr if neither expr is NULL or 0, otherwise returns 0. expr { =, >, >=, <, <=, != } expr Returns the result of an integer comparison if both arguments are integers, otherwise returns the result of a lexical comparison. expr { +, - } expr Addition or subtraction of integer-valued arguments. expr { *, /, % } expr Multiplication, division, or remainder of the integer-valued arguments. expr : expr The matching operator : (colon) compares the first argument with the second argument which must be a regular expression. Regular expression syntax is the same as that of ed(1), except that all patterns are "anchored" (that is, begin with ^) and, therefore, ^ is not a special character, in that context. Normally, the matching operator returns the number of bytes matched (0 on failure). Alterna- tively, the (...) pattern symbols can be used to return a portion of the first argument. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Incrementing a variable Add 1 to the variable a: example% fmlexpr $a + 1 | set -l a Example 2 Setting a variable equal to a filename For $a equal to either /usr/abc/file or just file: example% fmlexpr $a : .*/(.*) | $a returns the last segment of a path name (that is, file). Watch out for / alone as an argument: fmlexpr will take it as the division opera- tor (see NOTES below). Example 3 A better representation of Example 2 example% fmlexpr //$a : .*/(.*) The addition of the // characters eliminates any ambiguity about the division operator (because it makes it impossible for the left-hand expression to be interpreted as the division operator), and simplifies the whole expression. Example 4 Counting characters in a variable Return the number of characters in $VAR: example% fmlexpr $VAR : .* EXIT STATUS
As a side effect of expression evaluation, fmlexpr returns the following exit values: 0 if the expression is neither NULL nor 0 (that is, TRUE) 1 if the expression is NULL or 0 (that is, FALSE) 2 for invalid expressions (that is, FALSE). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ed(1), expr(1), set(1F), sh(1), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
syntax error for operator/operand errors non-numeric argument if arithmetic is attempted on such a string In the case of syntax errors and non-numeric arguments, an error message will be printed at the current cursor position. Use refresh to redraw the screen. NOTES
After argument processing by FMLI, fmlexpr cannot tell the difference between an operator and an operand except by the value. If $a is an =, the command: example% fmlexpr $a = = looks like: example% fmlexpr = = = as the arguments are passed to fmlexpr (and they will all be taken as the = operator). The following works, and returns TRUE: example% fmlexpr X$a = X= SunOS 5.11 5 Jul 1990 fmlexpr(1F)