Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Help piping tail to read STDIN Post 302444286 by thegeek on Wednesday 11th of August 2010 12:08:45 PM
Old 08-11-2010
your tail -f will never end ? then how are you expecting it to pass the output to the next pipe ?

it will terminate only if you press ctrl+c, and which will terminate whole command... so you cant achieve your objective in this way.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping output to while read

Hi. Im using cat to output the contents of a file, then piping it to my while read loop.In this loop variables get assigned values. However when i try to use the variables outside the loop their values has been reset.I understand about subshells etc. but I have no idea how to "preserve" the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ultimodiablo
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping output of tail running in background

Not sure why this does not work in bash: tail -f err.log |& -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `&' I am attempting to continuously read a file that is being updated by doing a "tail -f" on the file and piping the output to stdin which can then be read by the next shell command Thnx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuramdas
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping tail to awk to parse a log file

Hello all, I've got what I'm pretty sure is a simple problem, but I just can't seem to work past it. I'm trying to use awk to pretty up a log file, and calculate a percentage. The log file looks like this: # tail strtovrUsage 20090531-18:15:45 RSreq - 24, RSsuc - 24, RSrun - 78, RSerr -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping through commands read as variables from file

This is going to be part of a longer script with more features, but I have boiled it down to the one thing that is presently stumping me. The goal is a script which checks for updates to web pages that can be run as a cron job. The script reads (from a tab-delim file) a URL, an MD5 digest, and an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fitzwilliam
1 Replies

5. Programming

read and write stdin/stdout in unix

Hi, i am using the below program to read from the standard input or to write to standard out put. i know that using highlevel functions this can be done better than what i have done here. i just want to know is there any other method by which i find the exact number of characters ( this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read tail -F command output in perl

Hi All, How I will read the output of the tail -F command in perl. I have text file with below contains file1.txt 1 2 3 4 $running=1; sub openLog($) { (my $log) = @_; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pravin27
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar/cpio/pax read patterns from stdin

tar has the -T operand for reading patterns from a file. Is there any way to read patterns from stdin, without creating a temp file? I would like to avoid iterating over the archive repeatedly (e.g. with a loop or xargs) as this is a large archive and we're only extracting a small number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] Piping Problem

Hey, I want to create a new file (devices) with the 39th and the 40th character of the line wich is in the array line and in the file drivers. But unfortunately my try doesn't work: sed -n '$linep' drivers | cut -c 39-40 | echo >>devices Perhaps one of you can help me. Thank you! emoly ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: emoly
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Tail command issue in Linux

Hello, When I am trying to use tail +13 filename.csv it is throwing an error. tail: cannot open `+13' for reading: No such file or directory and then prints last 10 lines of the file. (File is present on the path) But when i try tail -13 filename.csv it runs perfectly. Could I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AnkitSenghani
5 Replies

10. Programming

How to read extended ASCII characters from stdin?

Hi, I want to read extended ASCII characters from keyboard using c language on unix/linux. How to read extended characters from keyboard or by copy-paste in terminal irrespective of locale set in the system. I want to read the input characters from keyboard, store it in an array or some local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
3 Replies
OMPI-IOF(1)							     Open MPI							       OMPI-IOF(1)

NAME
ompi-iof, orte-iof - Displays a copy of the output streams from a process. NOTE: ompi-iof, and orte-iof are exact synonyms for each other. Using any of the names will result in exactly identical behavior. SYNOPSIS
ompi-iof [ options ] Options ompi-iof will display a copy of the indicated stdout, stderr, and/or stddiag streams from the designated process. -pid | --pid The pid of the mpirun executing the process whose streams are to be copied -stdout | --stdout Display a copy of the specified process' stdout. If no options are specified, this will act as the default -stderr | --stderr Display a copy of the specified process' stderr. -stddiag | --stddiag Display a copy of the specified process' stddiag. -rank | --rank The rank of the process whose output is to be copied. DESCRIPTION
ompi-iof displays a copy of the indicated stdout, stderr, and/or stddiag streams from the designated process. At this time, a ctrl-C must be used to terminate the program. The program will terminate cleanly, telling the associated mpirun to close the requested streams before exiting. SEE ALSO
orterun(1) 1.4.5 Feb 10, 2012 OMPI-IOF(1)