Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Random pieces of number
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Random pieces of number Post 302444184 by Tytalus on Wednesday 11th of August 2010 06:20:21 AM
Old 08-11-2010
not the best random, and still hacky, but how about:

Code:
#  x=30;n=234951; while [ $x -gt 0 ]; do y=$(expr \( $RANDOM \* $RANDOM \) % \( $n - 2001 \* $x \) + 1001 ); n=$(($n-$y)); echo $y; x=$(($x-1)); done;echo $n

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to generate a random number?

How to generate a random integer with specific range(for example, from 1 to 1000)? Also, how to convert a floating point number into a integer? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MacMonster
2 Replies

2. Programming

Random number generation

Hi...How can I generate random numbers between a given range ...preferably between 1 and 100...in UNIX C programming...? I tried out functions like rand(),drand48() etc but didnt get satisfactory results... Thanks a lot in advance.......... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tej.buch
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding Random Number Genration

HI please help me in solving this issue. I have a shell script which consists of ten statemnts ( i mean 10 executable statments)...........and if i run that script the 10 statmenst will execute continously ............ But now my probelm is i have to write another script --> to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitka
0 Replies

4. Linux

random number as file owner

Dear all, I get the situation from my office but i cannot think what is happening. please give me some advise. 1. some file owner and group is changed to a very long number 2. i login as root. when i touch a file or operate on the file like chown, cp, the response is "Read-only file system".... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rickhlwong
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: random number between 1-10

How do I create a random number between 1 and 10 in kornshell? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

6. Programming

C Help; generating a random number.

Im new to C, and Im having a hard time getting a random number. In bash, I would do something similar to the following to get a random number; #!/bin/bash seed1=$RANDOM seed2=$RANDOM seed3=$RANDOM SEED=`expr $seed1 * $seed2 / $seed3` echo ${SEED%.*} Now, in online examples... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
4 Replies

7. Programming

Random number is not reused

I need to generate and reuse a 5 digit random number every time my program is executed. But the following generates random numbers every time the function is called. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <string.h> #include <time.h> ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: limmer
12 Replies

8. Programming

Generate random number

I saw this formula to generate random number between two specified values in shell script.the following. $(((RANDOM%(max-min+divisibleBy))/divisibleBy*divisibleBy+min)) Give a example in book. Generate random number between 6 and 30.like this. $(((RANDOM%30/3+1)*3)) But I have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luoluo
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create random number

Hi, I'm trying to create a script that will print random numbers with length of three. Below is the expected out. 928-377-899 942-458-310 951-948-511 962-681-415 995-161-708 997-997-209 thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reignangel2003
4 Replies

10. Programming

random number

How can I choose randomly the row numbers of my file in awk? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
4 Replies
RANDOM(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 RANDOM(3)

NAME
random, srandom, initstate, setstate - random number generator. SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> long int random(void); void srandom(unsigned int seed); char *initstate(unsigned int seed, char *state, size_t n); char *setstate(char *state); DESCRIPTION
The random() function uses a non-linear additive feedback random number generator employing a default table of size 31 long integers to return successive pseudo-random numbers in the range from 0 to RAND_MAX. The period of this random number generator is very large, approx- imately 16*((2**31)-1). The srandom() function sets its argument as the seed for a new sequence of pseudo-random integers to be returned by random(). These sequences are repeatable by calling srandom() with the same seed value. If no seed value is provided, the random() function is automati- cally seeded with a value of 1. The initstate() function allows a state array state to be initialized for use by random(). The size of the state array n is used by init- state() to decide how sophisticated a random number generator it should use -- the larger the state array, the better the random numbers will be. seed is the seed for the initialization, which specifies a starting point for the random number sequence, and provides for restarting at the same point. The setstate() function changes the state array used by the random() function. The state array state is used for random number generation until the next call to initstate() or setstate(). state must first have been initialized using initstate() or be the result of a previous call of setstate(). RETURN VALUE
The random() function returns a value between 0 and RAND_MAX. The srandom() function returns no value. The initstate() and setstate() functions return a pointer to the previous state array, or NULL on error. ERRORS
EINVAL A state array of less than 8 bytes was specified to initstate(). NOTES
Current "optimal" values for the size of the state array n are 8, 32, 64, 128, and 256 bytes; other amounts will be rounded down to the nearest known amount. Using less than 8 bytes will cause an error. CONFORMING TO
BSD 4.3 SEE ALSO
rand(3), srand(3) GNU
2000-08-20 RANDOM(3)