Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Random pieces of number
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Random pieces of number Post 302443900 by Tytalus on Tuesday 10th of August 2010 11:15:03 AM
Old 08-10-2010
One somewhat hacky way:

Code:
x=30;n=234951; while [ $x -gt 0 ]; do y=$(expr \( $RANDOM \* $RANDOM \) % \( $n - $x - 1 \) + 1 ); n=$(($n-$y)); echo $y; x=$(($x-1)); done;echo $n

not clean at all, but you may take some inspiration from it :-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to generate a random number?

How to generate a random integer with specific range(for example, from 1 to 1000)? Also, how to convert a floating point number into a integer? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MacMonster
2 Replies

2. Programming

Random number generation

Hi...How can I generate random numbers between a given range ...preferably between 1 and 100...in UNIX C programming...? I tried out functions like rand(),drand48() etc but didnt get satisfactory results... Thanks a lot in advance.......... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tej.buch
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding Random Number Genration

HI please help me in solving this issue. I have a shell script which consists of ten statemnts ( i mean 10 executable statments)...........and if i run that script the 10 statmenst will execute continously ............ But now my probelm is i have to write another script --> to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitka
0 Replies

4. Linux

random number as file owner

Dear all, I get the situation from my office but i cannot think what is happening. please give me some advise. 1. some file owner and group is changed to a very long number 2. i login as root. when i touch a file or operate on the file like chown, cp, the response is "Read-only file system".... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rickhlwong
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: random number between 1-10

How do I create a random number between 1 and 10 in kornshell? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

6. Programming

C Help; generating a random number.

Im new to C, and Im having a hard time getting a random number. In bash, I would do something similar to the following to get a random number; #!/bin/bash seed1=$RANDOM seed2=$RANDOM seed3=$RANDOM SEED=`expr $seed1 * $seed2 / $seed3` echo ${SEED%.*} Now, in online examples... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
4 Replies

7. Programming

Random number is not reused

I need to generate and reuse a 5 digit random number every time my program is executed. But the following generates random numbers every time the function is called. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <string.h> #include <time.h> ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: limmer
12 Replies

8. Programming

Generate random number

I saw this formula to generate random number between two specified values in shell script.the following. $(((RANDOM%(max-min+divisibleBy))/divisibleBy*divisibleBy+min)) Give a example in book. Generate random number between 6 and 30.like this. $(((RANDOM%30/3+1)*3)) But I have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luoluo
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create random number

Hi, I'm trying to create a script that will print random numbers with length of three. Below is the expected out. 928-377-899 942-458-310 951-948-511 962-681-415 995-161-708 997-997-209 thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reignangel2003
4 Replies

10. Programming

random number

How can I choose randomly the row numbers of my file in awk? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
4 Replies
CD-HIT-PARA.PL(1)						   User Commands						 CD-HIT-PARA.PL(1)

NAME
cd-hit-para.pl - divide a big clustering job into pieces to run cd-hit or cd-hit-est jobs SYNOPSIS
cd-hit-para.pl options DESCRIPTION
This script divide a big clustering job into pieces and submit jobs to remote computers over a network to make it parallel. After all the jobs finished, the script merge the clustering results as if you just run a single cd-hit or cd-hit-est. You can also use it to divide big jobs on a single computer if your computer does not have enough RAM (with -L option). Requirements: 1 When run this script over a network, the directory where you run the scripts and the input files must be available on all the remote hosts with identical path. 2 If you choose "ssh" to submit jobs, you have to have passwordless ssh to any remote host, see ssh manual to know how to set up passwordless ssh. 3 I suggest to use queuing system instead of ssh, I currently support PBS and SGE 4 cd-hit cd-hit-2d cd-hit-est cd-hit-est-2d cd-hit-div cd-hit-div.pl must be in same directory where this script is in. Options -i input filename in fasta format, required -o output filename, required --P program, "cd-hit" or "cd-hit-est", default "cd-hit" --B filename of list of hosts, requred unless -Q or -L option is supplied --L number of cpus on local computer, default 0 when you are not running it over a cluster, you can use this option to divide a big clustering jobs into small pieces, I suggest you just use "--L 1" unless you have enough RAM for each cpu --S Number of segments to split input DB into, default 64 --Q number of jobs to submit to queue queuing system, default 0 by default, the program use ssh mode to submit remote jobs --T type of queuing system, "PBS", "SGE" are supported, default PBS --R restart file, used after a crash of run -h print this help More cd-hit/cd-hit-est options can be speicified in command line Questions, bugs, contact Weizhong Li at liwz@sdsc.edu cd-hit-para.pl 4.6-2012-04-25 April 2012 CD-HIT-PARA.PL(1)