Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting want to read variable for the file Post 302443800 by mail2sant on Tuesday 10th of August 2010 05:25:44 AM
Old 08-10-2010
want to read variable for the file

Hi,

i have one file which has list of data like this
Code:
xemp  42
yeet   87
wax  223
dyne  442

i want to read each of in for loop from the script
can you give me syntax

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Use code tags, ty.

Last edited by zaxxon; 08-10-2010 at 06:32 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read data from a file into a variable

I am a FORTRAN guy and not a UNIX expert by any means so sorry if this sounds dumb, but all I want to do is have a UNIX script which reads data from a file (say 1000 lines worth, each row is a file name) and store it in an array to perform an operation on later. As maddeningly simple as this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yorkdg
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I read variable values from file?

Hi, I want to pratmeterze my scripts like, my confRsync file contains varibale values for 1. host 2. Destination and 3. source like this, I want to read this values from this and assing to my makeRsyn.sh file's varibales. how to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read a value from a file and pass it to a variable

Hi, Some one please help me with this script. I have a file "sequence.txt" and contents of it look like below. 1 5 3 7 4 7 5 74 from my script i should be able to read every single and save the first columnbs to variable x1, x2, x3 and second column as y1, y2, y3 and so on. Then i can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pragash_ms
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read the variable from config file

how to read the variable from config file eg: a.cfg below config file config file which contain a=`hostname` b=250 a.sh is shell script echo "$a and $b" if i run "a.sh 1.cfg" it works but when i declare N number of variable it wont works.. can u please suggest for that ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read a file and store each value in a variable

Hi, How to read a file and put the values in a script. E.g. file1.txt 02/12/2009;t1;t2 The script should read this file and put these values in 3 different variables x1,x2,x3 which can be used further. Thanks Ashu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string from file into variable

Hello, I need to read from a file consisting of only one integer and enter that number into variable.can anyone help? the script is written in cshell. thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: offerbukra
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read a file into a variable?

Hello, I have a ini-file containing comma-separated e-mail addresses, an bash-script sending a mail. Mail-addresses and the mail-script are separated, so I need not to change the important mail script. But how can I read out the file into a variable? It is possible to handover the mail... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
7 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to read contents of a file into variable :(

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have to read the contents of each field of a file creating user accounts. The file will be of format : ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dude_me5
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the variable from the line and use it to find the file and read the content of that file

Hi, I am working on one script..I am having files in the below format file 1 (each line is separated with : delimeter) SPLASH:SPLASH:SVN CIB/MCH:MCH:SVN Now I want from file 1 that most left part of the first line will store in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read variable name from file and use this?

I would like to read a variable name from file and I would like to use this... e.g. VARIABLE1=XXXXXX File.txt $VARIABLE1 Shell for STRING in `cat File.txt` echo $STRING done I would like the print XXXXXX. It's possible????:confused: Thanks :) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinguc
7 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)