Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Dynamic regular expression in nawk Post 302443615 by alister on Monday 9th of August 2010 02:48:38 PM
Old 08-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyonabix
So if I could do something like: -

Code:
regex = "$0 ~ /name/"
if ( regex )
do something

So my question is "is that possible in awk"?
It is possible and common, but your code is incorrect. In your example, the if condition will evaluate to true if the value of regex is any non-null string. What you want is:
Code:
regex="name"
if ($0 ~ regex)
    do something

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression + Aritmetical Expression

Is it possible to combine a regular expression with a aritmetical expression? For example, taking a 8-numbers caracter sequece and casting each output of a grep, comparing to a constant. THX! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Z0mby
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk empty regular expression error

Hello, All. please help me with this problem. i need to use variable as regular expression. some thing like this: BEGIN { RS="\n"; ORS="\n"; reg_exp = ".+Dec.+"; # i mean that regular expression is any symbol before "Dec" and any symbol after it. For example <Worksheet... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rjkz
6 Replies

3. Linux

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" .... i need regular expression

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with NAWK regular expressions

I've a file $ cat size 1234 5678 vamsi I want to match the lines which has just 4 digits and nothing else. So $ cat size | nawk ' $0 ~ // {print}' 1234 5678 But when I use the repetition clause it doesn't work cat size | nawk ' $0 ~ /{4}/ {print}' I actually want to filter out the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamsi.coe
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected: with regular expression

CA_RELEASE has a value of 6. I need to check if that this is a numeric value. if not error. source $CA_VERSION_DATA if * ] then echo "CA_RELESE $CA_RELEASE is invalid" exit -1 fi + source /etc/ncgl/ca_version_data ++ CA_PRODUCT_ID=samxts ++ CA_RELEASE=6 ++ CA_WEEK_NO=7 ++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkee1985
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl regular expression - To match a Dynamic URL

Hello All, I have a requirement to match a dynamic url and extract each of the directory and page and store it -Only PERL style Regular EXP as it will be used in informatica - REG_EXTRACT function Example Input URLs: 1)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk and regular expression

I have an input file which looks like the example below and I want to format it with 2 columns from the header based on the word "CUSIP" followed by a 9 digit string with first 3 being numeric and in the same line NNN.NN% pattern for the percentage value. (In RED) I started of with nawk but... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejazsyed
12 Replies

8. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing regular expression to nawk

I am trying to test if I can replace a regular expression in 'nawk' with a variable. Please let me know why it is not working. I am using ksh88i on solaris8 I am trying use this test as a building block to filter active external DNS connections. Ideally I want to pass variable defined... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies
DH_USRLOCAL(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_USRLOCAL(1)

NAME
dh_usrlocal - migrate usr/local directories to maintainer scripts SYNOPSIS
dh_usrlocal [debhelperoptions] [-n] DESCRIPTION
dh_usrlocal is a debhelper program that can be used for building packages that will provide a subdirectory in /usr/local when installed. It finds subdirectories of usr/local in the package build directory, and removes them, replacing them with maintainer script snippets (unless -n is used) to create the directories at install time, and remove them when the package is removed, in a manner compliant with Debian policy. These snippets are inserted into the maintainer scripts by dh_installdeb. See dh_installdeb(1) for an explanation of debhelper maintainer script snippets. When the Rules-Requires-Root field is not (effectively) binary-targets, the directories in /usr/local will have ownership root:staff and the mode will be 02775. These values have been chosen to comply with the recommendations of the Debian policy for directories in /usr/local. When Rules-Requires-Root has an effective value of binary-targets, the owners, groups and permissions will be preserved with one exception. If the directory is owned by root:root, then ownership will be reset to root:staff and mode will be reset to 02775. This is useful, since that is the group and mode policy recommends for directories in /usr/local. OPTIONS
-n, --no-scripts Do not modify postinst/prerm scripts. NOTES
Note that this command is not idempotent. dh_prep(1) should be called between invocations of this command. Otherwise, it may cause multiple instances of the same text to be added to maintainer scripts. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 2.2 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Andrew Stribblehill <ads@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_USRLOCAL(1)