Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Should I be worried about my AIX Cluster? Post 302443329 by zxmaus on Sunday 8th of August 2010 09:40:35 AM
Old 08-08-2010
If this would be my cluster, I would try to switch on async IO (not sure why it is off on your box as the default is on).
I would like to see your output of vmstat -s
I completely agree with Bakunin that your memory is overcommitted. Your AVM value is way too high, your freelist way too low for a DB box. IBM recommends an avm value between 70 and 80% for a reason. DBs are doing the 'work' in memory - not on disk. The smaller the free list, the more the system has to do - as the read and write from memory to disk are much higher than necessary - in an ideal world the memory holds the database - or at least the parts that are frequently accessed. That this is not the case on your system are shown by the very high system cpu usage levels.
... The sy column details the percentage of time the CPU was executing a process in system mode. ... reading or writing of a file requires kernel resources to open the file, seek a specific location, and read or write data, unless memory mapped files are used...
For me it looks like your system is artificially write intense - and that it would be much calmer if it would have the memory it would like to have for smooth operations. If it would be my box, I would add memory until your free list goes into the 6 digit area at least - you will most likely experience a significant drop in system cpu usage.
Is the output you have shown us from vmstat taken at a rather busy or rather idle time?
I cannot see enough processes in your runqueue that would even justify 20 cores - why do you have 40? And how many of them are folded all day / how many really ever used?
Kind regards
zxmaus

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. High Performance Computing

Building a Solaris Cluster Express cluster in a VirtualBox on OpenSolaris

Provides a description of how to set up a Solaris Cluster Express cluster in a VirtualBox on OpenSolaris. More... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

2. High Performance Computing

SUN Cluster Vs Veritas Cluster

Dear All, Can anyone explain about Pros and Cons of SUN and Veritas Cluster ? Any comparison chart is highly appreciated. Regards, RAA (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAA
4 Replies

3. AIX

Configuring new disks on AIX cluster

We run two p5 nodes running AIX 5L in a cluster mode (HACMP), both the nodes share external disk arrays. Only the primary node can access the shared disks at a given point of time. We are in the process of adding two new disks to the disk arrays so as to make them available to the existing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
3 Replies

4. AIX

Breaking AIX cluster

Hello All, I was just wondering: How do I break a server cluster in an AIX 5.2 environment? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
1 Replies

5. AIX

Aix hacmp cluster question (oracle & sap)

Hello, I was wondering if I have 3 nodes (A, B, C) all configured to startup with HACMP, but I would like to configure HACMP in such a way: 1) Node B should startup first. After the cluster successfully starts up and mounts all the filesystems, then 2) Node A, and Node C should startup ! ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
4 Replies

6. Linux

i want to install linux on my computer, but worried about viruses

hi guys, I am new to linux. I want to install it on my home computer. I have a few questions. 1) if an exploit is found on linux, how long is it before it gets patched up? My worry is that because there are not many linux users, if a big is found, then it will be a long time before others... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Sun cluster and Veritas cluster question.

Yesterday my customer told me to expect a vcs upgrade to happen in the future. He also plans to stop using HDS and move to EMC. Am thinking how to migrate to sun cluster setup instead. My plan as follows leave the existing vcs intact as a fallback plan. Then install and build suncluster on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Sun cluster 4.0 - zone cluster failover doubt

Hello experts - I am planning to install a Sun cluster 4.0 zone cluster fail-over. few basic doubts. (1) Where should i install the cluster s/w binaries ?. ( global zone or the container zone where i am planning to install the zone fail-over) (2) Or should i perform the installation on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NVA
0 Replies

9. AIX

[Howto] Update AIX in HACMP cluster-nodes

As i have updated a lot of HACMP-nodes lately the question arises how to do it with minimal downtime. Of course it is easily possible to have a downtime and do the version update during this. In the best of worlds you always get the downtime you need - unfortunately we have yet to find this best of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
4 Replies

10. AIX

AIX Cluster Show shared file systems.

Hello, I am working on applications on an AIX 6.1 two-node cluster, with an active and passive node. Is there a command that will show me which mount points / file systems are shared and 'swing' from one node to the other when the active node changes, and which mount points are truly local to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Clovis_Sangrail
6 Replies
FREE(1) 							Linux User's Manual							   FREE(1)

NAME
free - Display amount of free and used memory in the system SYNOPSIS
free [-b | -k | -m] [-o] [-s delay ] [-t] [-V] DESCRIPTION
free displays the total amount of free and used physical and swap memory in the system, as well as the buffers used by the kernel. The shared memory column should be ignored; it is obsolete. Options The -b switch displays the amount of memory in bytes; the -k switch (set by default) displays it in kilobytes; the -m switch displays it in megabytes. The -t switch displays a line containing the totals. The -o switch disables the display of a "buffer adjusted" line. If the -o option is not specified, free subtracts buffer memory from the used memory and adds it to the free memory reported. The -s switch activates continuous polling delay seconds apart. You may actually specify any floating point number for delay, usleep(3) is used for microsecond resolution delay times. The -V displays version information. FILES
/proc/meminfo-- memory information SEE ALSO
ps(1), slabtop(1), vmstat(8), top(1) AUTHORS
Written by Brian Edmonds. Send bug reports to <albert@users.sf.net> Cohesive Systems 20 Mar 1993 FREE(1)