Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how can i copy those files into other directories have the same name Post 302443284 by t17 on Sunday 8th of August 2010 03:26:44 AM
Old 08-08-2010
how can i copy those files into other directories have the same name

how can i copy those files into other directories have the same name but different in the end
i have files in directory called test:
10_10_asdadfsdfad.txt
10_10_11_asdawqefwkjasd.txt
10_10_11_12_asdafjjhoqwd.txt
i want to put them in exist directory thart i have on my system
i have directories in directory called test2:
10_10
10_10_11
10_10_11_12
i want to put file which is in test: "10_10_asdadfsdfad.txt" in directory "10_10" which is in test2

i want to put file : "10_10_11_asdawqefwkjasd.txt" in directory "10_10_11"

i want to put file : "10_10_11_12_asdafjjhoqwd.txt
" in directory "10_10_12"

I use that code but it didn't do what i want ??

filecnt=0
for file in 10_10*
do
mkdir ../test2/${file} > /dev/null 2>&1
cp "$file" ../test2/${file}/
filecnt=$(( $filecnt + 1 ))
done
echo "$filecnt files copied"

how can we edit it to make that possible .
thank you for your help & time, I need ur reply as faster as possible Smilie Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do copy certain files and directories from one hard drive to another?

I have two drives (scsi) mounted on one server and I need to copy certain files and directories from one drive to the other. Any suggestions :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy multiple files in different directories

I have a report file that is generated every day by a scheduled process. Each day the file is written to a directory named .../blah_blah/Y07/MM-DD-YY/reportmmddyy.tab I want to copy all of this reports to a separate directory without having to do it one by one. However, if I try cp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken2834
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy unique files between two directories in Solaris

Hi, My requirement is to have a shell script: SOURCE_DIR=/usr/logs/restore/ --> Contains multiple subdirectories TARGET_DIR=/usr/data/logs --> Existing folders which contain similar subdirectories I want to copy only newer or uniquie files which are present in $SOURCE_DIR and its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujoy101
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy Directories excluding files

Hi guys, I want to copy folder and sub folders only. I don't want the files. If i use cp -r command it will copy entirely with files. Could any one suggest me. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthik82
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two directories and copy differing files

Hello there, I'm a total noob to shell scripting. :) What I want to do is compare the contents of Folder A and Folder B, and copy any files in Folder A that do not exist in Folder B over to Folder B. I have gotten so far as: diff -rq folderA folderB which returns the names of the files,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raaaaaa
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files by automatically creating directories

I am in a situation where I have some hundreds of thousands of files in a directory (name of directory: big_directory). Now, working on this directory is extremely slow. I now plan to do this: Copy 1000 files in each of the directories by creating the directories automatically. All files have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

create more than 100 directories and copy files into them

Hi, I have several files containing experiment measurements per hour (hour_1.txt has measurements for first hour, etc..etc..). I have 720 of these files (i.e. up to hour_720.txt) and i want to create 720 directories and in every one of them i want to copy its associative file (e.g.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive search for files and copy to new directories

So I have extremely limited experience with shell scripting and I was hoping someone could point out a few commands I need to use in order to pull this off with a shell script like BASH or whatnot (this is on OS X). I need to search out for filenames with account numbers in the name itself... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flyawaymike
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy Directories with Files from One Server to Other using sftp

Hi, I have a requirement where I have to connect to another server and copy directories from one server to another Directories on the Source server look like below (YYYY-MM-DD- 1 to 23) drwxr-xr-x 2 test_user dmfmart 422 Sep 1 23:45 2014-09-01-18drwxr-xr-x 2 test_user dmfmart ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkesi
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files in respective directories

Hi Guys, I need to copy the files to respective directories based on name of the file. My script is something like below con=$1 for file in `cat $con` do file_tmp=$(ls -t1 $path| grep -i $file | head -n 1) echo $file_tmp if then cp $path$file_tmp $DIR/ap if then... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Master_Mind
16 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)