Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Filter certain number of alphabets Post 302442614 by ruby_sgp on Thursday 5th of August 2010 02:02:58 AM
Old 08-05-2010
yes. Thanx alot!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting only Alphabets from a value

Hi, I have file name (abcd001). I want to extract on the alphabets from this file name. I don't want the numeric part of it. Once i extract the alphabets the i can search for all those file. Could anyone help on this. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitkhiare
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

filter and get the latest order number

hello, how can I filter and get the latest order number (last five digits) below: input file: johnmm00001 maryyy00121 johnm100222 johnmm00003 maryyy00122 output file: johnmm00003 maryyy00122 johnm100222 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Omitting the last 2 alphabets in the words

Hi Guys, Bit new to Unix shell scripting so this question might seems little kiddish for you. what im trying to achieve here is : I have file which is compressed like Account_52320090605076_log.Z so in my shell script i call this file also as one of my parameters like ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolrekz
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for Alphabets

echo -n "read this also:" read NewAuthor if ]' ) ] ; then echo "its a digit" else echo "something else" fi Hey guys , i am trying to do a search to check if the input is using alphabets and nothing else. I tried using ] and ] but none seems to work When i use digit, it read 22.k... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Remove repetitive alphabets

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will take 2 or more instances of repetitive alphabets (ZZ) to be removed from a field. This should only happen from beginning and end of a field. For Example : Input File a) ZZZIBM Corporation b) ZZZIBM Corporation ZZZZZ b) IBM ZZZ... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: msalam65
26 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

filter unique alphabets

Filter unique alphabets (bold) from input Thanx +SRR015270.1 HWI-B10_3_6069:2:1:653:875 length=32 SZZZZZZZZZZZZXZZZXZZZOECZZIZHUEM +SRR015270.2 HWI-B10_3_6069:2:1:455:450 length=32 ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTT @SRR015270.3 HWI-B10_3_6069:2:1:453:499 length=32... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[ask]filter with line number in file

dear all about my last question in fileA.txt (all list line i want to find in fileB.txt) is content of line number fileA.txt 23 34 35 55 59 and fileB.txt is content like 24:asd|ekkk|001|001 123:bca|egsd|210|002 1231:cas|egds|322|231 ... in fileB.txt they have line number like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zvtral
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print combinations of alphabets in a sequence

Hi Friends, I have a series of alphabets like this AGCAA The values inside the square brace indicate that either of them can be present at that position. And those ones without a brace, means that they are the only ones that could be printed at that location. Now, I would like to know... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace alphabets from certain positions

Hi all, I have column 2 full of values like HIVE4A-56 and HIVE4-56. I want to convert all values like HIVE4A-56 to HIVE4-56. So basically I want to delete all single alphabets before the '-' which is always preceded by a number. Values already in the desired format should remain unchanged... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ames1983
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace alphabets in a string with their ASCII values

hi. I have a requirement where I need to REPLACE all alphabets from an alphanumeric input string into their respective ASCII decimal value. For example: If the input string is ABAC123, the output should be 65666567123 I am seeking a single line command, and I was trying searching for options... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
21 Replies
hexec(1)																  hexec(1)

NAME
hexec - a process execution hooking tool SYNOPSIS
hexec <OPTIONS> [expr] [cmd] [args...] DESCRIPTION
hexec is a tool to hook into process exececution calls (exec family of syscalls). You can define an expression that is executed against any hooked exec call. This expression may also contain a replacement exec call. OPTIONS SUMMARY
Here is a summary of the options to hexec. --help | -h Print a options/expr summary page --version | -v Print hexec version --log-out | -lo set output file for error and -print output OPTIONS
-h Print a options/expr summary page --help Print a options/expr summary page -lo Set the output file for error and -print output. This can be required if writing to stderr could cause malfunction because some processes read from stderr and expect a well defined output. EXPRESSIONS
The expression is executed against all process execution calls. If the expression returns true, the original call is skipped. <expr> -and <expr> <expr> -a <expr> <expr> <expr> Returns true if both expressions return true. If the left returns false, the right expression is never executed. <expr> -or <expr> <expr> -o <expr> Returns true if one of both expressions returns true. If the left returns true, the right expression is never executed. -path <pattern> Returns true if the path of the executable matches <pattern>. <pattern> is a bash compatible wild card pattern. -ipath <pattern> Same as -path, but case insensitive. -name <pattern> Returns true if the base name of the executable matches <pattern>. <pattern> is a bash compatible wild card pattern. -iname <pattern> Same as -name, but case insensitive. -contains <str> Returns true if the path of the executable containes the string <str>. -icontains <str> Same as -contains, but case insensitive. -print Print all arguments to the called process. Returns always true. -exec <cmd> [args...] ; Executes <cmd> with [args...] as arguments. This expression must be terminated with a semicolon. You can use argument placeholders in <cmd> and [args...] (see below). This expression always returns true. NOTE: Please be aware that you may need to escape or quote the terminating semicolon to not confuse your shell. -sh <script> Interprets <script> as a shell script by invoking /bin/sh with the arguments -c '<script>'. You can use argument placeholders inside <script>. Please note that -sh only expects a single argument and not a variable list of arguments (as -exec does). Using -sh is the same as using -exec sh -c <script>. PLACEHOLDERS FOR -exec EXPRESSION Every -exec expression can use placeholders in the argument list to obtain information from the original exec call. Each placeholder starts with { and ends with }. Use { if you want to use a { in your argument list. The placeholders are replaced when the -exec expression is evaluated. Placeholder types: {n} Will be replaced with the number of arguments in the original call. {<idx>} Will be replaced with the original argument at index <idx>. Example: {1} would give the first argument. You can prepend <idx> with placeholder flags. {} Will be replaced with all arguments from the original call. Each argument is seperated with a space. You can use placeholder flags. NOTE: The executable name is also considered as argument. This means that a call like "echo test" will result in two arguments, "echo" and "test". PLACEHOLDER FLAGS
s Every argument is inserted as single argument instead of concatenating all arguments. Consider the arguments 'a', 'b' and 'c'. Without s, -exec {} ; would result in -exec 'a b c' ;, which in many cases is not what you want. -exec {s} ; howewer would result in -exec 'a' 'b' 'c' ;. q Quote every single argument. e Escape all non alpha-numeric characters. This flag is very useful when using a "sh -c <...>" in the -exec expression. Examples -exec echo {} ; with the call 'a' 'b' 'c' results in: 'echo' 'a b c' -exec echo {q} ; with the call 'a' 'b' 'c' results in: 'echo' 'a' 'b' 'c' -exec sh -c 'echo {}; {}' ; with the call 'sh' '-c' 'gcc d.c >> log.txt' results in: 'sh' '-c' 'echo sh -c gcc d.c >> log.txt; sh -c gcc d.c >> log.txt' Please note that this will not do what you may expect, as the >> is handled wrong in this case. -exec sh -c 'echo {e}; {}' ; with the call 'sh' '-c' 'gcc d.c >> log.txt' results in: 'sh' '-c' 'echo sh -c gcc d.c >> log.txt; sh -c gcc d.c >> log.txt' CHANGES TO PROCESSES
hexec will add some environment variables to the hooked processes. These are (may not be complete): LD_PRELOAD hexec adds libhexec-hook.so to the list of preloaded libraries. HEXEC_EXPR_SHM Contains the name of the internal shared memory object. HEXEC_LOG_FD Contains the file descriptor for error and -print output. Please do never modify these environment variables. Also take care when you use these variables, because the name and content of the vari- ables may change in the future. EXAMPLES
hexec -name 'gcc' -exec ccache {s} ; make Calls make, which will then call gcc several times. The executable name of each hooked process execution is tested against the file pattern "gcc" and "ccache {s}" is called each time a match is found. '{s}' will be replaced with the original (the hooked) call. In this example, a call to "gcc -o test.o test.c" would be replaced with "ccache gcc -o test.o test.c" HOW IT WORKS
TODO BUGS
I'm sure there are alot...it's still beta :) AUTHOR
hexec was written by Alexander Block http://blocksoftware.net/ If you wish to report a problem or make a suggestion then please email ablock@blocksoftware.net hexec is released under the GNU General Public License version 2 or later. Please see the file COPYING for license details. November 2008 hexec(1)