Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ssh into home network
Special Forums IP Networking ssh into home network Post 302442470 by bluejayek on Wednesday 4th of August 2010 10:16:20 AM
Old 08-04-2010
ssh into home network

I am trying to ssh from my computer at work into my home PC. My work computer is running mac os x 10.6.3, home PC is running ubuntu.

At home I have multiple PC's hooked up through a router and modem. I have gone into the router settings and set up port forwarding to forward ports 22 and 175 to my linux pc. (22 is the standard ssh port, I set 175 as well for testing).

I then got the external IP of my home network (Which I believe is pointing to the router?), 66.***.***.***.
Trying to run ssh from my work computer I get
Code:
ssh 66.***.***.*** -p 22 
ssh: connect to host 66.***.***.*** port 22: Operation timed out

ssh 66.***.***.*** -p 175
ssh: connect to host 66.***.***.*** port 175: Connection refused

I also tried telnet

Code:
telnet 66.***.***.*** 175
Trying 66.***.***.***...
telnet: connect to address 66.***.***.***: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

telnet 66.***.***.***
Trying 66.***.***.***...
telnet: connect to address 66.***.***.**: Connection timed out

telnet 66.***.***.*** 22
Trying 66.***.***.***...
telnet: connect to address 66.***.***.**: Connection timed out

All of these commands going to any port other then 175 have a 30-60 second delay before saying connection timed out. The connection refused message on port 175 comes immediately after typing the command.

ping does work, gives results like
Code:
ping 66.***.***.***
PING 66.***.***.*** (66.***.***.***): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 66.***.***.***: icmp_seq=0 ttl=116 time=23.313 ms
64 bytes from 66.***.***.***: icmp_seq=1 ttl=116 time=23.737 ms
64 bytes from 66.***.***.***: icmp_seq=2 ttl=116 time=23.214 ms
64 bytes from 66.***.***.***: icmp_seq=3 ttl=116 time=23.381 ms

Can anybody help? I am not sure what is going wrong.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

home network not working!

i just linked 2 100MHz Linux kernel 2.4.2 boxes togeather using a direct cable connection, on two 3Com PCI network cards, using the EtherLink III chipset. Unfortuanately, when I boot both PCs, i get a loading interface: eth0 for five minutes, then a failed flag. No networking suppt. in windows,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boris888
2 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

XP Pro: home network

having trouble with my home XP Network. I have 2 machine running xp but the server cant access or see the second computer. Both can ping each other and i have file and printer sharing installed. HD'S are sharded. Any ideas ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Home Network Storage Solution.

Hi All... I have never really touched any form of unix so any help would be appraciated. I am looking at creating/building another PC to add to my network for storage purposes only. Would unix be the best OS to use in this situation as all I have available to me is a very low end PC. As... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Merlyn
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why /home and /packages are network based?

Does anyone noe why /home n /packages r usually kept remotely..as in network base by administrators?is it because of security reasons??? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rave77us
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Linux on/in a home network

I recently received an e-mail from "the faculty" at Unix-dot-Com and I was reminded of this notable resource for folks learning about Unix and its clone, Linux. I hadn't posted anything in two years and during that time, I have been working, in my spare time, on a home network combining two Linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Annatar
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to configure routing on home network

I have a Windows laptop and a Sparc desktop. I'm trying to toy around with routing. If have always on broadband from BT. My router ipaddress is: 192.168.1.1 This router uses DHCP. My Laptop Ip is as follows: Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kongowea
2 Replies

7. Linux

Need help w/home network

Hello world! I'm writing to you from Chile, Southamerica, and need a little help with my tiny home netwk. Hope you can give me a hand because this thing is breaking my balls. This is what i have: 1 windows box with XP pro (server) 1 linux box with DSL (box) 1 wrt54gl router with dd-wrt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: juanpedro
1 Replies

8. IP Networking

ssh server is attachable from local network not from another network

hello i have a ubuntu ssh server that i can acess from any of my comnputers but only if they are on the same wireless network as the server. i tested trhis my tehtehring my samsung blackjack to my windows partition and installing openssh to windows it works when windows is on the wireless but no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: old noob
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

Help building a home network needed.

I have one computer with internet connection and printers that I would like to connect to another computer to use as a practice/test Server. I would like the server to access the other computer by a direct connection of some sort because I don't see the point of aquiring the hardward (ethernet... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
5 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id - install your public key in a remote machine's authorized_keys SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-i [identity_file]] [user@]machine DESCRIPTION
ssh-copy-id is a script that uses ssh to log into a remote machine (presumably using a login password, so password authentication should be enabled, unless you've done some clever use of multiple identities) It also changes the permissions of the remote user's home, ~/.ssh, and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys to remove group writability (which would oth- erwise prevent you from logging in, if the remote sshd has StrictModes set in its configuration). If the -i option is given then the identity file (defaults to ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) is used, regardless of whether there are any keys in your ssh-agent. Otherwise, if this: ssh-add -L provides any output, it uses that in preference to the identity file. If the -i option is used, or the ssh-add produced no output, then it uses the contents of the identity file. Once it has one or more fin- gerprints (by whatever means) it uses ssh to append them to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine (creating the file, and directory, if necessary) SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-agent(1), sshd(8) OpenSSH 14 November 1999 SSH-COPY-ID(1)