Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Weird problem in my shell script,please help me!!! Post 302442054 by shyamaladevi on Tuesday 3rd of August 2010 08:51:50 AM
Old 08-03-2010
Thanks for the quick reply.
I tried using sleep 1 grep -c but I am still getting the same error Smilie

---------- Post updated at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson
If the other application still has it open, you might try to sleep just before grep:
Code:
sleep 1

There is no other application which is keeping it open;I am just thinking that after calling the script,the control is not flowing to shell.
Even the echo statement after EOF is not executing..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird Problem???

I have a problem I don't understand... I am trying to declare a variable, and then output the results of that variable, couldn't be simpler #!/bin/ksh VAR='Oranges' if then echo "Found Lemons" elif then echo "Found Oranges" fi The output shouold clearly be "Found Oranges", but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danhodges99
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Weird crontab problem

Greetings To All! I am running Solaris 10 in a sparc environment. Here is the deal: In /var/spool/cron/crontabs, there is a cron user named "sys". If I do a crontab -l sys, it returns: # 0 * * * 0-6 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 # 20,40 8-17 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 # 5 18 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobSand
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Really weird delete problem

Hi, I've Ubuntu 8.04, and it has some files that I just cannot delete. I've tried everything, inode, fsck etc. Here is what the ls -li outputs root@ubuntu:/home/luser/.local/share/Trash/files/junk# ls -l ls: cannot access TRUNK_: No such file or directory ls: cannot access 2006_output.mv:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin
11 Replies

4. Infrastructure Monitoring

Weird dependency problem!

Hi, I want to install net-snmp-devel package but i have following dependecy problem. It's very odd, i don't get it. One of packages is depended on the other one, the other one is depended on the previous one as well. :S :S Could you help me please? Here are the steps: # ls -l total... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oduth
4 Replies

5. AIX

weird korn shell script

here is the one of the scripts: script1.kshfunction haha { print "calling haha" exit } script2.ksh. script1.ksh haha | tee -a /dev/null print "i am script 2" after launching the script2, the result: --------------------------------------------- calling haha i am script 2 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: getter
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk weird problem.

awk 'BEGIN{print 1.2.3.4}' 1.20.30.4 Can anyone explain why has extra "0" in the IP address? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newoz
3 Replies

7. Programming

A weird problem with POSIX function

Hi all, Sorry for the title because I didn't find a proper name for it. My question is about POSIX functions, such as timer_create(), mq_open() and pthread_create(). void test_queue() { struct mq_attr attr; attr.mq_maxmsg = 10; attr.mq_msgsize = 64; mq_unlink("/my_test_queue");... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bus147
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

share a shell script which can replace weird characters in directory or file name

I just finish the shell script . This shell can replace weird characters (such as #$%^@!'"...) in file or directory name by "_" I spent long time on replacing apostrophe in file/directory name added: 2012-03-14 the 124th line (/usr/bin/perl -i -e "s#\'#\\'#g" /tmp/rpdir_level$i.tmp) is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: begonia
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird Exit Status of shell script

I have a script named check which will read the content of a file and check wether those files exist in the current directory. If so it will have the exit status of 0, otherwise it will have 1. check script: #!/bin/bash if ; then #Check there is enough command line parameters. exit 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ray Sun
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird awk problem

Hi, I have a simple awk script: BEGIN{} { $a=$2-$1; print $a } END{if(NR==0){ print "0" } } to which I provide the following input 2.9 14 22.2 27 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
4 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)