Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to kill all processes except shell window? Post 302441911 by pinga123 on Tuesday 3rd of August 2010 01:24:46 AM
Old 08-03-2010
How to kill all processes except shell window?

Hi i was referring to an article given in following website.
Basic shell scripting questions | TechInterviews
I was surprise to know that i can kill all running processes by using kill o.
However when i tried running the command nothing happened.

How would i establish this task?
my machine details:
Code:
# lsb_release -a
LSB Version:    :core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch
Distributor ID: EnterpriseEnterpriseServer
Description:    Enterprise Linux Enterprise Linux Server release 5.2 (Carthage)
Release:        5.2
Codename:       Carthage

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill all processes

i have a very short file that has in it a line for a find command. now, when i run this script and I kill the script later, using the ps -ef | grep scriptname. i noticed kill -9 kills the script itself but does not kill the internal find command that it gave birth to. say theres a file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Kill processes

Hi guys, I am new to Unix shell scripting. Can anyone of you tell me how to kill all the processes at a time for a particular user?(No listing the process ID of each process in the kill -9 command). Thanks in Advance, -Hary (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tadi18
5 Replies

3. Solaris

how do I kill defunct processes?

mqm 17700 16815 0 0:00 <defunct> kill -9 does not work, even as root (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
10 Replies

4. Solaris

kill processes

how to kill the processes of aperticular user? because i have nearly 25000 process are there for perticular user. i need to kill. Please provide the information? Regards, Rajesh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmrajesh21
3 Replies

5. Solaris

kill the processes seen under ptree

Hi, How to kill the processes running under ptree ? I am noticing lot of processes running under ptree with ssh ? I tried to kill with -9 option which is not working ? Thanks, Radhika. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhirk
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to kill parent and all of its sub processes

Hi, I am writing korn shell script. My requirement is, i have to kill the parent process and all of its child processes. Can some one please help me on this? Thanks in advance for your help.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sheethal
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill processes

for i in 'ps -f | grep textedit' do kill $i done I wrote this but it wont work. I am trying to find processes and kill them. Any help would be welcome. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hawaiifiver
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill all user processes

Hi there, i've been searching all over and i thought i had understood the way i should go to kill all the processes related to a user. But i'm getting more confused then i was. By lunch time i have to make a database backup, and for that all the users shoul logout. The problem is that many users... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vascobrito
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to kill a number of processes with name "XYZ" at a time using shell script

Hi, when i grep for the process "XYZ" , there will be some good number of processes with that name, i want to kill all the these processes at a time using shell script? Any help needed for this action. Thanks Regards, Anil (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilmanepu
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill multiple processes by name

Want to kill multiple processes by name. for the example below, I want to kill all 'proxy-stagerd_copy' processes. I tried this but didn't work: >> ps -ef|grep proxy_copy root 991 986 0 14:45:34 ? 0:04 proxy-stagerd root 1003 991 0 14:45:49 ? 0:01... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalinawinemxr
2 Replies
FSG(1)									FSG								    FSG(1)

NAME
FSG - manual page for FSG lsb_release v2.0-SuSE SYNOPSIS
lsb_release [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
FSG lsb_release v2.0-SuSE prints certain LSB (Linux Standard Base) and Distribution information. With no OPTION specified defaults to -v. OPTIONS
-v, --version Display the version of the LSB specification against which the distribution is compliant. -i, --id Display the string id of the distributor. -d, --description Display the single line text description of the distribution. -r, --release Display the release number of the distribution. -c, --codename Display the codename according to the distribution release. -a, --all Display all of the above information. -s, --short Use short output format for information requested by other options (or version if none). -h, --help Display this message. FILES
If the installation is LSB compliant, the "/etc/lsb-release" file should contain the LSB_VERSION field. The value of the field should be a colon separated list of supported module versions indicating the LSB specification modules to which the installation is compliant. If the installation is not compliant, the above field should not be present. Optional fields are DISTRIB_ID, DISTRIB_RELEASE, DISTRIB_CODENAME, DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION and can be used to override information which is parsed from the "/etc/distrib-release" file. If the "/etc/lsb-release.d" directory exists, it is searched for filenames which are taken as additional module-version strings to add to LSB_VERSION. The "/etc/distrib-release" file contains a description line which is parsed to get information (especially on currently non-LSB compliant systems). The required line style is: "Distributor release x.x (Codename)" Where Distributor can be a couple of words, but then concatenated (i.e. Linux Foo BarLinux Linux -> FooBarLinux), x.x starts with a digit followed by any non-blank characters, Codename will also be concatenated (blanks cleanup only). release may not be used as a keyword in DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION if you don't want to override "/etc/distrib-release" data. Notice: To support the Debian distributions' lack of information (see "/etc/debian_version" file) some have been directly added into the lsb_release script. EXAMPLES
If the "/etc/lsb-release" file contains: LSB_VERSION="core-2.0-ia64:core-2.0-noarch" DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="I enjoy using my distrib" and the "/etc/lsb-release.d" directory contains: graphics-2.0-ia64 graphics-2.0-noarch and the "/etc/foobar-release" file contains: My Linux Distrib release 1.0RC4 (TryIt) Then the results of various options will be: $ ./lsb_release --all LSB Version: core-2.0-ia64:core-2.0-noarch:graphics-2.0-ia64:graphics-2.0-noarch Distributor ID: MyDistrib Description: I enjoy using my distrib Release: 1.0RC4 Codename: TryIt $ ./lsb_release -a -s 1.0 MyDistrib "I enjoy using my distrib" 1.0RC4 TryIt If the "/etc/lsb-release" file is absent (indicating this is not an LSB compliant distribution), the result will be: $ ./lsb_release -a LSB Version: n/a Distributor ID: MyDistrib Description: My Linux Distrib release 1.0RC4 (TryIt) Release: 1.0RC4 Codename: TryIt REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs at http://bugs.linuxbase.org. Please include a complete, self contained example that will allow the bug to be reproduced, and say which version of lsb_release you are using. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000, 2002, 2004 Free Standards Group, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Originally written by Dominique MASSONIE. FSG lsb_release v2.0-SuSE July 2010 FSG(1)