Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Re-installing Solaris
Operating Systems Solaris Re-installing Solaris Post 302441802 by tawnos42 on Monday 2nd of August 2010 11:59:20 AM
Old 08-02-2010
I would like to not be installing, but unfortunately have no real choice. Is there no way to do this from console? I have a fully functioning remote console session and can log in using putty (this is a viable replacement for hypterterminal right?) over a virtual COM port. In addition, I can also log in using SSH. I had hoped this would allow me to work on installing (which I imagine will take several attempts) without having to drive to the server, which is a sizable if not impractical distance away.

As far as patches/subscriptions, this is a test/demo server on a private network only accessible by VPN. Thus far it has been used only for internal testing purposes although we do eventually intend to use it to demo the application for prospective clients. At any rate, the utmost security and newest patches are not really a concern and the immediate goal is just to get something up and running. If a downloaded ISO of an install CD from oracle.com can do that I'll be happy. My only real concern is that I re-install over the server and then learn a month from now that there was some unknown Solaris product key buried in a file somewhere that I have irrevocably destroyed.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Solaris 8

I'm new to Unix, and Installed Solaris 8 (IA) for the first time with the end user software group, I got the login screen at startup. When I re-installed it with the Full Distribution plus OEM support it bypasses the login screen and logs me as superuser (root). Is this normal? Thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdrivas
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Solaris

Hi I am trying to install Solaris for Intel, I am getting a error message saying can't open -VTOC. I have tried installing it on two PCs and I get the same error message on both PCs. Can some please help me. Thanks alot Chamkila (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chamkila
1 Replies

3. Solaris

installing solaris 10

hi all, i am trying to install solaris 10 into sun ultra 3000 i burn .iso image into cd-rw with 6x speed(iomega) and when i put into cdrom server i got the problem like below: {a} ok boot cdrom -s Boot device: /sbus@3,0/SUNW,fas@3,8800000/sd@6,0:f File and args: -s Bad magic number in disk... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: waterbear
11 Replies

4. Solaris

installing solaris

i have a laptop that i am no longer using and wish to try and install solaris 10 on it for learning purposes but im stumped. i went to sun.com and downloaded the dvd image but i feel like im at a dead end. the files and folders on the dvd image are clearly meant to be used on an existing unix-based... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S1CK_0F_WINDOHS
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Installing Solaris 10

Hi All, Il jump straight in.. Iv been asked to install Sun Solaris 10 for a friend and Il be honest.. Iv never installed one before.. Iv looked at some documentation on installing but nbothing to represent my problem.. I downloaded the Solaris 10 Software from sun.com on 5 cd`s.. burnt them... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjdude
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Installing Solaris 8 bootblock without Solaris Install CD

Hello everyone, Background: I'm having an issue with booting a clone of hard drive with Solaris 8 installation. For cloning process I have used g4l, running under click'n'clone option. As far as I know the actual operation ran behind g4l's interface was dd, though I do not have any information... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnny994
12 Replies

7. Hardware

Installing Solaris

Hello ladies and gentlemen I had a notebook 250 GB for windows 7, 250 GB for slackware, by the live dvd slaris i installed solaris in partition of windows, instalation ok, when i restart, i can not access menu bios or menu boot, and my notebook doesn't boot any dvd ,.. any help what i can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gitac
0 Replies
VIRT-VIEWER(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    VIRT-VIEWER(1)

NAME
virt-viewer - display the graphical console for a virtual machine SYNOPSIS
virt-viewer [OPTIONS] DOMAIN-NAME|ID|UUID DESCRIPTION
virt-viewer is a minimal tool for displaying the graphical console of a virtual machine. The console is accessed using the VNC or SPICE protocol. The guest can be referred to based on its name, ID, or UUID. If the guest is not already running, then the viewer can be told to wait until is starts before attempting to connect to the console The viewer can connect to remote hosts to lookup the console information and then also connect to the remote console using the same network transport. OPTIONS
The following options are accepted when running "virt-viewer": -h, --help Display command line help summary -V, --version Display program version number -v, --verbose Display information about the connection -c URI, --connect=URI Specify the hypervisor connection URI -w, --wait Wait for the domain to start up before attempting to connect to the console -r, --reconnect Automatically reconnect to the domain if it shuts down and restarts -z PCT, --zoom=PCT Zoom level of the display window in percentage. Range 10-200. -d, --direct Do not attempt to tunnel the console over SSH, even if the main connection URI used SSH. -a, --attach Use libvirt to directly attach to a local display, instead of making a TCP/UNIX socket connection. This avoids the need to authentication with the remote display, if authentication with libvirt is already allowed. This option does not work with remote displays. -f, --full-screen Start with the window maximised to fullscreen --debug Print debugging information EXAMPLES
To connect to the guest called 'demo' running under Xen virt-viewer demo To connect to the guest with ID 7 running under QEMU virt-viewer --connect qemu:///system 7 To wait for the guest with UUID 66ab33c0-6919-a3f7-e659-16c82d248521 to startup and then connect, also reconnecting upon restart of VM virt-viewer --reconnect --wait 66ab33c0-6919-a3f7-e659-16c82d248521 To connect to a remote console using TLS virt-viewer --connect xen://example.org/ demo To connect to a remote host using SSH, lookup the guest config and then make a direct non-tunnelled connection of the console virt-viewer --direct --connect xen+ssh://root@example.org/ demo AUTHOR
Written by Daniel P. Berrange, based on the GTK-VNC example program gvncviewer. BUGS
Report bugs to the mailing list "http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/virt-tools-list" COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007-2008 Red Hat, Inc., and various contributors. This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of the GNU General Public License "http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html". There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
virsh(1), "virt-manager(1)", the project website "http://virt-manager.org" perl v5.14.2 2012-05-28 VIRT-VIEWER(1)