Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Filtering Unique Lines
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Filtering Unique Lines Post 302441590 by Scott on Sunday 1st of August 2010 12:12:21 PM
Old 08-01-2010
Hi.

It might be easier to understand if you build up the command

Code:
history | cut -c 8-100 | cut -d " " -f 1 | sort | uniq -c

step by step, and see what differences there are.

First run
Code:
history

(this shows the commands the current logged-in user has run)

A pipe (the | character) feeds the output of one command as input to the next command, so...

Code:
history | cut -c 8-100

Will "feed" the output of the history command into the cut command.
(if you'd read the man pages as suggested, you'd know how cut works - this takes characters 8 through to 100)

sort will, sort the output of it's input (the output of the cut command - alphabetically.

uniq -c will remove duplicated (on sorted date - the previous command did that), and show the count (-c).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Filtering duplicate lines

Does anybody know a command that filters duplicate lines out of a file. Similar to the uniq command but can handle duplicate lines no matter where they occur in a file? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: AreaMan
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove All Lines Between Two Unique Lines

Hi all! Im wondering if its possible to remove all lines between two lines. Im working with a document like this: data1 data2 <Remove> data3 data4 </Remove> data5 data6 I need it to end up like this if that possible: data1 data2 data5 data6 There are multiple instances of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering similar lines in a big list

I received this question for homework: We have to write our program into a .sh file, with "#!/bin/bash" as the first line. And we have the list of access logs in a file, looking like this (it's nearly 10,000 lines long): 65.214.44.112 - - "GET /~user0/cgg/msg08400.html HTTP/1.0" 304 -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Andrew9191
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

In a huge file, Delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines

Hi All, I have a very huge file (4GB) which has duplicate lines. I want to delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines. Sort, uniq, awk '!x++' are not working as its running out of buffer space. I dont know if this works : I want to read each line of the File in a For Loop, and want to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnix
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filtering a file for unique entries

Hi All, I am trying to filter out a txt file containing 2 columns. Which has got website name and response time as below. Website_name response_time yahoo 22 google 21 yahoo 34 rediff 45 google 43 rediff 31 I want filter the above file with unique website names which has got highest... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilreddy103
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering data -extracting specific lines

I have a table to data which one of the columns include string of text from within that, I am searching to include few lines but not others for example I want to to include some combination of word address such as (address.| address? |the address | your address) but not (ip address | email... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose lines from individual blocks to unique lines

Hello to all, happy new year 2013! May somebody could help me, is about a very similar problem to the problem I've posted here where the member rdrtx1 and bipinajith helped me a lot. https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/211147-map-values-blocks-single-line-2.html It is very... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filtering out lines in a .csv file

Hi Guys, Would need your expert help with the following situation.. I have a comma seperated .csv file, with a header row and data as follows H1,H2,H3,H4,H5..... (header row) 0,0,0,0,0,1,2.... (data rows follow) 0,0,0,0,0,0,1 ......... ......... i need a code... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk/sed : help on:Filtering multiple lines to one:

Experts Good day, I want to filter multiple lines of same error of same day , to only 1 error of each day, the first line from the log. Here is the file: May 26 11:29:19 cmihpx02 vmunix: NFS write failed for server cmiauxe1: error 5 (RPC: Timed out) May 26 11:29:19 cmihpx02 vmunix: NFS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print unique lines without sort or unique

I would like to print unique lines without sort or unique. Unfortunately the server I am working on does not have sort or unique. I have not been able to contact the administrator of the server to ask him to add it for several weeks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies
CUT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CUT(1)

NAME
cut -- cut out selected portions of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file ...] cut -c list [file ...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cut utility cuts out selected portions of each line (as specified by list) from each file and writes them to the standard output. If no file arguments are specified, or a file argument is a single dash ('-'), cut reads from the standard input. The items specified by list can be in terms of column position or in terms of fields delimited by a special character. Column numbering starts from 1. The list option argument is a comma or whitespace separated set of numbers and/or number ranges. Number ranges consist of a number, a dash ('-'), and a second number and select the fields or columns from the first number to the second, inclusive. Numbers or number ranges may be preceded by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from 1 to the last number. Numbers or number ranges may be followed by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from the last number to the end of the line. Numbers and number ranges may be repeated, overlapping, and in any order. If a field or column is specified multiple times, it will appear only once in the output. It is not an error to select fields or columns not present in the input line. The options are as follows: -b list The list specifies byte positions. -c list The list specifies character positions. -d delim Use delim as the field delimiter character instead of the tab character. -f list The list specifies fields, separated in the input by the field delimiter character (see the -d option.) Output fields are separated by a single occurrence of the field delimiter character. -n Do not split multi-byte characters. Characters will only be output if at least one byte is selected, and, after a prefix of zero or more unselected bytes, the rest of the bytes that form the character are selected. -s Suppress lines with no field delimiter characters. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through unmodified. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of cut as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The cut utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Extract users' login names and shells from the system passwd(5) file as ``name:shell'' pairs: cut -d : -f 1,7 /etc/passwd Show the names and login times of the currently logged in users: who | cut -c 1-16,26-38 SEE ALSO
colrm(1), paste(1) STANDARDS
The cut utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
A cut command appeared in AT&T System III UNIX. BSD
December 21, 2006 BSD