Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Puzzled with hexdump, hd and ln Post 302441550 by Corona688 on Saturday 31st of July 2010 11:04:48 PM
Old 08-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistastar
@pludi:

Thank you. That's interesting. I notice that the utility BusyBox behaves in the way you mentioned.
It does, and it doesn't. Busybox can detect what name it's called with and act accordingly; a trick its developers exploited to squeeze dozens of utilities into one medium executable. What you don't see happening is any arguments in those links. As described previously, that has to be done in the shell.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Puzzled with user ID.

I hava been reading AUPE these days. I really am puzzled with the presentation of real user(group) ID, effective user(group) ID. How do they effect on the execution of process? What's the relationship between them? Appreciate your help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lethefe
4 Replies

2. Programming

C++ Puzzled !!

#include <iostream.h> class A { public: void f(void) { cout << "hello world \n" ; } }; void main() { A *a; a = 0 ; a->f(); // OOPs...Am I mad? What am I going to do ? } (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RipClaw
1 Replies

3. Solaris

puzzled with VxVM and iostat..

Hi all, One disk on my root disk group failed in Veritas Volume manager. I replaced it with new one, initialized it and placed it with removed one. it Synchronized plexes and everything is fine. this node was second standby node of Sun cluster. yesterday I had failure on active node with boot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samar
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Puzzled over over the relationship between the partition and geometry of hard disk.

Not sure why solaris couldn't detect the geometry of a hard disk which has a working OS of winxp pro. Is it due to the different OS that the partition information is stored in different location? When I type '"format" it is shown as below, c3d1 < drive type unknown>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: just.srad
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reverse hexdump without xxd

The "hexdump" command cannot perform reverse operation. On the other hand, the "xxd" command with -r option performs reverse hexdump, while the "xxd" command without -r performs the (forward) hexdump. An example of hexdump is to convert ABCD into 41 42 43 44. An example of reverse hexdump is to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
3 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Puzzled by Find

I'm new to playing with the command line on OS X and am puzzled by the response I am getting from the find command. I have a file structure similar to the following /Volumes/ ../Drobo/ ../../Pictures/ ../../../Image 1/ ../../../../Image 1.jpg ../../../../Previews/ ../../../../../Image... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Denrael
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to perform a hexdump using dd from start point to end point?

hi, I would like to ask or is it possible to dump a hex using dd from starting point to end point just like the "xxd -s 512 -l 512 <bin file>" I know the redirect hexdump -C but i can't figure it out the combination options of dd. Hope someone can share their knowledge.. Thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
3 Replies

8. Programming

Serioulsy puzzled here.

Facebook had a mathematics problem which was as thus:- 6/2(1+2) = ? Answer is 9. My ancient Casio FX 730P mini computer written exactly as that gives 'error' only. Now take a look at shell versions, and a python version:- Last login: Wed Sep 14 18:04:04 on ttys000 AMIGA:barrywalker~>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
6 Replies
BZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  BZEXE(1)

NAME
bzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
bzexe [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
The bzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``bzexe /bin/cat'' it will create the following two files: -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 9644 Feb 11 11:16 /bin/cat -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 24576 Nov 23 13:21 /bin/cat~ /bin/cat~ is the original file and /bin/cat is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /bin/cat~ once you are sure that /bin/cat works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some other utilities (tail, chmod, ln, sleep). BUGS
bzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. BZEXE(1)