Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: parsing multi-date text file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting parsing multi-date text file Post 302441180 by pravin27 on Thursday 29th of July 2010 01:47:13 PM
Old 07-29-2010
Hi,

Try this.
filesize.pl

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

$/="===================================";
$curr_date=`date '+%A %Y\\/%b\\/%d'`;
chop ($curr_date);
while (<>) {
if (/$curr_date(.*)\n(.*)\n(.*)\n(.*)\n(.*)\n(.*)\n(.*)\n(.*)\n(.*)\n(.*)\n(.*)\n(.*)\n(.*)\n(.*)\n(.*)\n(.+?):\s(.+?)\sbytes/){
$total = $total + ${17};
}
}
print "Total file size ",$total," Bytes for today"

Code:
perl filesize.pl inputfile

This User Gave Thanks to pravin27 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing a system log file via the 'date' command

Hello, I'm trying to update some scripts here that parse our system logs daily. They report information just fine... but they just report too much info. Specifically, if there's been some failed login attempts on several different days (say Monday and Tuesday), when I get the report from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjones
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text File Parsing

Hey Guys.I am a newbie on Bash Shell Scripting and Perl.And I have a question about file parsing. I have a log file which contains reports about a communication device.I need to take some of the reports from the log file.Its hard to explain the issue.but shortly I can say that, the reports has a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Djlethal
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing text from file

Any ideas? 1)loop through text file 2)extract everything between SOL and EOL 3)output files, for example: 123.txt and 124.txt for the file below So far I have: sed -n "/SOL/,/EOL/{p;/EOL/q;}" file Here is an example of my text file. SOL-123.go something goes here something goes... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ndnkyd
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding & Moving Oldest File by Parsing/Sorting Date Info in File Names

I'm trying to write a script that will look in an /exports folder for the oldest export file and move it to a /staging folder. "Oldest" in this case is actually determined by date information embedded in the file names themselves. Also, the script should only move a file from /exports to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikosey
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing Date to a file name

Hi All There is a file "apple_2008-08-15.log". I have to use grep on this file to collect my test log. There are 45 such files. Is there a command that I can use to dynamically substitute the daily date as part of the file name? As of now Iam renaming the file to the new date and running my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pk_eee
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help parsing a text file

I have a text file: router1#sh ip blah blah | incl --- Gi2/8 10.60.4.181 --- 10.60.123.175 11 0000 0000 355K Gi2/8 10.60.83.28 --- 224.10.10.26 11 F9FF 3840 154K Gi2/8 10.60.83.198 --- ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Log File Based on Date & Error

I'm still up trying to figure this out and it is driving me nuts. I have a log file which has a basic format of this... 2010-10-10 22:25:42 Init block 'UA Deployment Date': Dynamic refresh of repository scope variables has failed. The ODBC function has returned an error. The database... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: k1ko
4 Replies

8. Programming

Parsing a Text file using C++

I was trying to parse the text file, which will looks like this ###XYZABC#### ############ int = 4 char = 1 float = 1 . . ############ like this my text file will contains lots of entries and I need to store these entries in the map eg. map.first = int and map.second = 4 same way I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: agupta2
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing text file

I'm totally stumped with how to handle this huge text file I'm trying to deal with. I really need some help! Here is what is looks like: ab1ba67c331a3d731396322fad8dd71a3b627f89359827697645c806091c40b9 0.2 812a3c3684310045f1cb3157bf5eebc4379804e98c82b56f3944564e7bf5dab5 0.6 0.6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: comp8765
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing text file

Hi Friends, I am back for the second round today - :D My input text file is this way Home friends friendship meter Tools Mirrors Downloads My Data About Us Help My own results BLAT Search Results ACTIONS QUERY SCORE START END QSIZE IDENTITY CHRO STRAND ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
7 Replies
DP(8)                                                                [nmh-1.5]                                                               DP(8)

NAME
dp - parse dates 822-style SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/dp [-form formatfile] [-format string] [-width columns] [-version] [-help] dates ... DESCRIPTION
Dp is a program that parses dates according to the ARPA Internet standard. It also understands many non-standard formats, such as those produced by TOPS-20 sites and some UNIX sites using ctime(3). It is useful for seeing how nmh will interpret a date. The dp program treats each argument as a single date, and prints the date out in the official 822-format. Hence, it is usually best to enclose each argument in quotes for the shell. To override the output format used by dp, the -format string or -format file switches are used. This permits individual fields of the address to be extracted with ease. The string is simply a format string and the file is simply a format file. See mh-format(5) for the details. Here is the default format string used by dp: %<(nodate{text})error: %{text}%|%(putstr(pretty{text}))%> which says that if an error was detected, print the error, a `:', and the date in error. Otherwise, output the 822-proper format of the date. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
None SEE ALSO
ap(8), Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC-822) DEFAULTS
`-format' default as described above `-width' default to the width of the terminal CONTEXT
None BUGS
The argument to the -format switch must be interpreted as a single token by the shell that invokes dp. Therefore, one must usually place the argument to this switch inside quotes. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 DP(8)