Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: scandir() and threads
Top Forums Programming scandir() and threads Post 302441136 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 29th of July 2010 10:43:43 AM
Old 07-29-2010
Are you on linux? __readdir is a symbol, an entry point for the syscall. You need to read the __readdir kernel code.

scandir() is re-entrant and threadsafe because it does not use local static data like strtok() or localtime(). scandir is not async-safe.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

old threads

Neo, if I have an old thread that is a few months old, and a few pages back in the forum it was posted in, is it ok to 'bump' it back to the front? or, would you rather i deleted the old thread, and just create a new one? btw the thread has no replies. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
2 Replies

2. Programming

Need help with scandir / stat

I'm writing a file manager program using FC3 and C, and I'm having a problem displaying the stat info of subdirectories. #include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <dirent.h> int main() { char *dirname = "mydirectory"; struct dirent **namelist; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bertsura
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

threads

i am tring to sort lots of data thats in many columns by just one column but, if I use sort +16 inputfile the column fluctuates because some of the rows have spaces etc within the text, so the end result is just a mess as it jumps around the columns depending whether it has spaces or not ....ie... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gerry405
2 Replies

4. Programming

scandir() for Solaris

I'd like to use scandir() on solaris, but it doesn't find sys/dir.h What do you think I should do? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadiamihu
2 Replies

5. Solaris

threads

Hi all! 1)Is there a way to write a program that will work on both solaris and intel based machines. 2)How can I achive this for a program that creates and synchronizes three threads. Thank you. vij. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijlak
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How many threads do I use ?

Hi, I have a program that has two types of threads: 1) Reader threads 2) Worker Threads Readers: Their only job is to read files. They just read data from the files and put them into a buffer. They are obviously I/O intensive. Workers: These are CPU intensive. They do some computation... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Threads and Threads Count ?

Hi all, How can I get the list of all Threads and the Total count of threads under a particular process ? Do suggest !! Awaiting for the replies !! Thanks Varun:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

8. Programming

scandir() + windows equivalent

Currently, Im trying to redesign some Unix-based C code to work on the Windows operating system and one problem I ran into when compiling was that the compiler failed to recognise scandir() (from my original Linux code) Im aware that scandir() is a Unix-based function, so is there an equivalent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
1 Replies

9. Programming

Threads help

Hello! I started studying studying about POSIX Threads a few days ago... so I am a little confused and I would appreciate some help! I isolated this code... and I wonder if I could use threads in it! #include <unistd.h> #endif #include <math.h> //#include "main.h" #include <sys/time.h>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smurf2
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

scandir help

Hi everyone; I am trying to compile and execute a test program I wrote that calls scandir and it seems to not like my prototype. The Documentation on SUN for this function is clear, but I am missed something..... and I can't figure it out; I am using cc -gv -osaveas saveas.c on Sun... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhelie
1 Replies
scandir(3UCB)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Library Functions					     scandir(3UCB)

NAME
scandir, alphasort - scan a directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/cc [ flag... ] file... #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/dir.h> int scandir(dirname, namelist, select, dcomp); char *dirname; struct direct *(*namelist[]); int (*select(.),(*dcomp)(); int alphasort(d1, d2); struct direct **d1, **d2; DESCRIPTION
The scandir() function reads the directory dirname and builds an array of pointers to directory entries using malloc(3C). The second param- eter is a pointer to an array of structure pointers. The third parameter is a pointer to a routine which is called with a pointer to a directory entry and should return a non zero value if the directory entry should be included in the array. If this pointer is NULL, then all the directory entries will be included. The last argument is a pointer to a routine which is passed to qsort(3C), which sorts the com- pleted array. If this pointer is NULL, the array is not sorted. The alphasort() function sorts the array alphabetically. RETURN VALUES
The scandir() function returns the number of entries in the array and a pointer to the array through the parameter namelist. The scandir() function returns -1 if the directory cannot be opened for reading or if malloc(3C) cannot allocate enough memory to hold all the data structures. The alphasort() function returns an integer greater than, equal to, or less than 0 if the directory entry name pointed to by d1 is greater than, equal to, or less than the directory entry name pointed to by d2. USAGE
The scandir() and alphasort() functions have transitional interfaces for 64-bit file offsets. See lf64(5). SEE ALSO
getdents(2), malloc(3C), qsort(3C), readdir(3UCB), readdir(3C), lf64(5) NOTES
Use of these functions should be restricted to applications written on BSD platforms. Use of these functions with any of the system libraries or in multithreaded applications is unsupported. SunOS 5.10 3 Jan 2002 scandir(3UCB)