Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: watching for a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting watching for a file Post 302441126 by zaxxon on Thursday 29th of July 2010 10:25:14 AM
Old 07-29-2010
When you use code tags (which is good Smilie ) then please use square brackets instead of < and > Smilie

Ok to your problem - here is a suggestion how it could look like:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh

MYFILE=/here/it/is/myfile

Z=1
while (( $Z < 30 )); do
   if [ ! -e $MYFILE ]; then
      let Z=$Z+1
      sleep 1
   else
      echo it arrived
      exit 0
   fi
done

echo 30 seconds are over and it did not arrive
exit 1

Last edited by zaxxon; 07-29-2010 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: changed failure message

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Actively watching for running processes

Here's a fun one... What's the best way to script looking for a process when it runs? For example, what if a process is running that's been set up graphically, which you would like the entire command line string for? Say it's rpm for the sake of having a command to use as an example. You want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysera
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed remove expression from output I'm watching

I'm watching a particular expression as it is appended in a line to a file: tail -f LOG | sed -n /"$@"/p So whatever value I pass into this script will tail -f the file, but only show me lines that contain the value: lgwatch expression However some of the output contains a #20 control... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaindotC
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 text file with 1 column in each file and write mismatch data to 3rd file

Hi, I need to compare 2 text files with around 60000 rows and 1 column. I need to compare these and write the mismatch data to 3rd file. File1 - file2 = file3 wc -l file1.txt 58112 wc -l file2.txt 55260 head -5 file1.txt 101214200123 101214700300 101250030067 101214100500... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya Nochiyil
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies
print(1)							   User Commands							  print(1)

NAME
print - shell built-in function to output characters to the screen or window SYNOPSIS
ksh print [ -Rnprsu [n]] [arg...] DESCRIPTION
ksh The shell output mechanism. With no flags or with flag - or -, the arguments are printed on standard output as described by echo(1). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -n suppresses new-line from being added to the output. -R -r (raw mode) ignore the escape conventions of echo. The -R option will print all subsequent arguments and options other than -n. -p causes the arguments to be written onto the pipe of the process spawned with |& instead of standard output. -s causes the arguments to be written onto the history file instead of standard output. -u [ n ] flag can be used to specify a one digit file descriptor unit number n on which the output will be placed. The default is 1. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful operation. >0 Output file is not open for writing. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1), ksh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 print(1)