Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming searching files for hex or oct values Post 302441100 by daflore on Thursday 29th of July 2010 09:39:48 AM
Old 07-29-2010
searching files for hex or oct values

I have a set of files without extensions. How can I programatically tell if a file is in gzip format? The gzip file format spec

RFC 1952 GZIP File Format Specification version 4.3

states that gzip files have certain hex/oct values at the beginning of the file.

1st byte = 0x1f in hex, \037 in octal
2nd byte = 0x8b in hex, \213 in octal

How can I search for these values to determine if a file is truly gzip format?

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Modifying binary file by editing Hex values ?

Hi , i'm using special binary file (lotus notes) and modifying an hexadecimal address range with windows hex editor and it works fine ! The file is an AIX one and i'm forced to transfert (ftp) it before modifying it and re-transfert ! NOW i would do this directly under AIX ! I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
4 Replies

2. Programming

After converting the hexstr to Hex and storing the Hex in a char*

Hi All, My main intension of is to convert the Hexstring stored in a char* into hex and then prefixing it with "0x" and suffix it with ',' This has to be done for all the hexstring char* is NULL. Store the result prefixed with "0x" and suffixed with ',' in another char* and pass it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rvan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching data files for another file of values

I've used awk for some simple scripting, but having trouble figuring out how to search a couple of data files that have Name/Address/Zip Codes from another file that has list of only Zip Codes, and write out the lines that matched. Zip code field in the data file is 27 I was thinking... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matkins99
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert hex values to displayable characters

Hi, I am a bit stuck with displaying characters. I am having values like below in the proper displayable characters. which I would want to print the actual value on the right hand side. I dont want to create an array because I would have to create 255 different values. isnt there another way of... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help search and replace hex values only in specific files

perl -pi -e 's/\x00/\x0d\x0a/g' `grep -l $'GS' filelist` This isn't working :confused:, it's not pulling the files that contain the regex. Please help me rewrite this :wall:. Ideally for this to work on 9K of 20K files in the directory, I've tried this but I don't know enough about awk... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching columns and subtracting values in awk

Hi everyone, I had a similar question a couple days ago but my problem has gotten significantly (to me anyway) more complex. I have two files: File 1: 0808 166 166 62 9 0 1000fights 1 1 2 1 0 100places2visit 2 2 2 2 0 10veronica91 167 167 3 1 0 11thgorgeous 346 346 3806 1461 122... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: collards
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for values in a file

Hi guys. I'm trying to do a search on the fruit & brand inside Fruit.txt, and printing the result out in the following format: , , $, I am able to do this via the following code: awk -F: -vOFS=", " -vt="$Fruit:$Brand" '$0~t{$3="$"$3;print}' Fruit.txt However, I want to be able to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: todaealas
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping a string of numbers between higher and lower order values(HEX)

I have this below string in a variable cutString=21222222222222222122222222222222 this string is nothing but hex values depicted as below 21:22:22:22:22:22:22:22:21:22:22:22:22:22:22:22 so what i want to achieve is swap the lower order with higher order values in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace with "sed" some hex values by other hex values?

Assume I have a file \usr\home\\somedir\myfile123.txt and I want to replace all occurencies of the two (concatenated) hex values x'AD' x'A0' bytwo other (concatenated) hex values x'20' x'6E' How can I achieve this with the gnu sed tool? Additional question: Is there a way to let sed show... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Replace hex values using sed command

File lalo.txt contains: Á I need to replace Á by A using sed command. od -x lalo.txt 0000000 c10a 0000002 sed -e 's/\xc1\x0a/A/g' lalo.txt > lalo2.txt Also tried: sed -e 's/\xc3\x81/A/g' lalo.txt > lalo2.txt Output file lalo2.txt still has Á Unix version: SunOS 5.11 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
9 Replies
GZFORCE(1)						      General Commands Manual							GZFORCE(1)

NAME
gzforce - force a '.gz' extension on all gzip files SYNOPSIS
gzforce [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
gzforce forces a .gz extension on all gzip files so that gzip will not compress them twice. This can be useful for files with names trun- cated after a file transfer. On systems with a 14 char limitation on file names, the original name is truncated to make room for the .gz suffix. For example, 12345678901234 is renamed to 12345678901.gz. A file name such as foo.tgz is left intact. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), gznew(1), gzmore(1), gzgrep(1), gzdiff(1), gzexe(1) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgzip | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gzip is available in the SUNWgzipS package. GZFORCE(1)