Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Concatenating lines ending with '+' using awk Post 302441080 by Franklin52 on Thursday 29th of July 2010 08:59:15 AM
Old 07-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalibrahim
Thank you for all the posts.

But is it possible to tell how can I fix my code ?
Code:
awk '{while(sub(/\+$/,"")) { getline a; $0=$0 "\n" a; }; $0=$0 "\n"}'

Should be something like this:
Code:
awk '{if(sub(/\+$/,"")){ getline a; $0=$0 " " a; }}{print}' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating lines and formatting.

Hi, I have a html file which is unformatted and need to concatenate the lines between each "table" statement in order to run an awk statement on it. Here is the example of the raw file: <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" class="playerDetails"> def ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tonka52
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating the two lines in a file

hi My requirement is i have a file with some records like this file name ::xyz a=1 b=100,200 ,300,400 ,500,600 c=700,800 d=900 i want to change my file a=1 b=100,200,300,400 c=700,800 d=900 if record starts with " , " that line should fallows the previous line.please give... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for lines ending with }

I'm trying to search for lines ending with "}" with the following command but am not getting any output. grep '\}$' myFile.txt I actually want to negate this (i.e. lines not ending with "}"), but I guess that should be easier once I find the command that finds it? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: BootComp
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating the lines with different pattern

Hi, I have put a similar question in one of the other threads through which I got the solution shown below but I have some more condition to add to it, hence have further queries on it. I appologies if I should be putting this with the old thread. I have a file which perform a grep on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simi28
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating lines of separate files using awk or sed

For example: File 1: abc def ghi jkl mno pqr File 2: stu vwx yza bcd efg hij klm nop qrs I want the reult to be: abc def ghistu vwx yza jkl mno pqrbcd efg hij klm nop qrs (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamahomekarasu
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: switching lines and concatenating lines?

Hello, I have only recently begun with awk and need to write this: I have an input consisting of a couple of letters, a space and a number followed by various other characters: fiRcQ 9( ) klsRo 9( ) pause fiRcQ 9( ) pause klsRo continue 1 aPLnJ 62( ) fiRcQ continue 5 ... and so on I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Borghal
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating lines in bash

Hi, I'm attempting to join two lines in a file which are separated by a line break. The file contents are shown below: event_id=0 id=0_20100505210853 IFOconfig=HLV template=TaylorF2 Nlive=1000.0 Nruns=1.0 NIFO=3... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Supersymmetric
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to remove lines ending with '*'

I have a file where some lines end with '*'. I would like to remove those lines ending with '*'. inFile: a b* c d*outFile: a cThank you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdhahbi
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all lines ending with /

I have a text file with contents given below: file:///About/ file:///About/accessibility.html file:///About/disclaimer.html file:///About/disclaimer.html#disclaimer file:///About/glance/contact_info.html file:///books/ file:///bookshelf/br.fcgi?book=helppubmed&part=pubmedhelp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating the lines of a data

I have a data of 1 lac lines with the following format abcde,1,2,3,4, ,ee ,ff ,gg ,hh ,mm abcde,3,4,5,6, ,we ,qw ,as ,zx ,cf abcde,1,5,6,7, ,dd ,aa ,er .... .... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindj80
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)