Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: problem with awk command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem with awk command Post 302441019 by hemanth424 on Thursday 29th of July 2010 06:41:17 AM
Old 07-29-2010
problem with awk command

I have written some code in a KSH script to find the index of the character in a string like this

Code:
#!usr/bin/ksh

string="Hi How are you"
awk 'BEGIN {print index ($string, "are")}'

My expected output should be : 8
but it is giving the out put as : 0

I wanted to store that index value in a variable. Can anyone please help me in this

Also I am trying to get a substring of the above string by providing the start index and end index and store the substring in another variable. I am not getting any clue how to do that.

Guyz please help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in awk command

Hello all, i am new one to this forum. : i have file with these contents.. internal://project/squid-internal-static/icons/anthony-xpm.gif http://widget.blogrush.com/img/br.png http://www.wingware.com/css/print http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/advanced/filterwarning.css... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: viveksnv
3 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

AWK command problem

How can I write an AWK so it could print some fixed strings and concatenate that with other words from an input file. Also having a string like "go" in the next line in the output file as below: Example: A fixed string like: "Hello my" and the input file is: friend mother father... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sybase08
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with sub command (awk) and numbers

Hi, I am trying to perform a simple soustraction between two floating numbers and cannot get it done for some reason due to the use of the sub command. The following is the straight-forward result of the soustraction: $ echo | gawk '{a=968;b=967.99;c=a-b;print c}' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in awk command

Hello, I am getting problem in awk command during matching (using if in awk) when there is special character "" I have tried by loosing the special meaning, still its not working Below is my code: set pinname_watch = "DCORRECT" set pinname = "DCORRECT\" echo 'defineGateSize... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with awk command

I am having problem running an awk commad on a file Before applying awk command on the file After applying I don't expect more than 409743 records in the file. Why do I have 1 record more after applying awk command? Please let me know (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with awk command in script.

#!/bin/sh date=`date +%y%m%d -d"1 day ago"` inbound_dir=/vis/logfiles/to_solmis cp `grep -il ST~856~ $inbound_dir/*$date*` /vis/sumit/in_ASN/ echo 'SENDER,RECEIVER,DATE,TIME,ASNUMBER' > a.csv for i in /vis/sumit/in_ASN/* do ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrima.pratima
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias problem with awk command

Hi to all, I'm facing some problems when adding an alias like: #alias list="ls -al | awk '{ print $1, $2, $3, $4, (($5/1048576))"\t", $6, $7, $8, $9 }'" and when I enter: #list I get: Syntax Error The source line is 1. The error context is { print >>> , <<< awk:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enux
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Variable and AWK command

Okay, so I am trying to use a count variable to reference the column of output sent from an echo statement. So I am trying to do this #!/bin/bash CURRENT=$PWD VAR=3 CHANGE=`echo $CURRENT | awk -F "/" '{ print \$$VAR }'` This instead of giving me the third instance after the "/" gives... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkjp2011
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting problem in awk command

Hi, I have one file with tab delimited values in it. i want to increase the value of 6th field by 2 if value of 3rd field is greater than 2 . The command is working fine but space between the field is getting removed after adding. below is the file and the command Filename: test1.txt ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi_agarwalla
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution Problem with awk command

Hi All, I am trying to find a word from a file in loop. while read i; do DB_Name=$i awk '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++)if($i~/$DB_Name/)print $(i)}' $BTEQ_NAME > $DB_Name_TableList.txt done <Param.txt here Param.txt contents data as ODS_TARGT_RECV FIN_TARGT... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi Gupta
7 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)