Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Getting Substring
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Getting Substring Post 302440743 by Scott on Wednesday 28th of July 2010 06:46:44 AM
Old 07-28-2010
Given that you've just read "https://www.unix.com/shell-programmin...nto-array.html", you should have found what you are looking for. It pays to search the Forums before asking.

And please don't just ask "plz send me the code". It's not nice.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

substring

Hi, I have a value of a filepath in a variable DATAFILE with value as "customtop/gpsore37/gepspo/1.0/bin/ashoka.csv ". Now i want the value of last 4 charcters in to another variable. That is EXTENSION = .csv How can i do this in Shell scripting Thanks in advance Alla Kishore (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alla.kishore
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I Substring ??

Hello everyone. I'm writing a script in UNIX. The purpose is to get the second character from a variable that stores the system year. This is the code: unix_year_yy=`date "+%g"` This will return "07" in variable unix_year_yy. How can I get the second character (7)?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rigger
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

substring

Dear All, i have a file that contains, FROM_DATE: 06-08-2007 00:00:00 TO_DATE: 06-08-2007 23:59:59 Total number of lines: 6874154 in another file,the contain is, FROM_DATE: 06-08-2007 00:00:00 Total number of lines: 874154 alltime i want to find the particular string... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: panknil
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

substring ??

I execute command on this file and it gives o/p like this. COMMAND $ fuser -f /clocal/sanjay/AccessMonitor /clocal/sanjay/AccessMonitor: 1368322c To truncate 'c', i used tr -dc "\n" but then it does't give 1368322 as O/P. Any help ?? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring HELP!

Hi, I am trying to do something which I thought was very simple but still being a beginner, has proved not to be. Input: val1 val2 val3 val4 val5 val6 . . . etc Desired Output: Every row in which value of val6 is a number starting with 0.0 or contains a capital E. The input... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: awknerd
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with substring

I need to check the occurrence of one string within another. code ******************** if ;then do something done ******************** Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: w020637
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substring

Hi I use the below cmd to get the list of files that are modified than <temp> file in the <path> diretory cmd:find <path> -name '*.zip' -type f -newer <temp> -print i am getting all the list of files that are new or modified, with abs path, i want to copy all of these files to a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naveen_5960
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

substring

I have a string '<Hi>abc</Hi>" How to print "abc" (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the substring

Hi All, I have a ouput string likes 'u8wos' or 'u10acsd' or somthing else 'u{number}{any characters}'and I want to get the number behind the letter 'u' by bash shell. Thanks Damon (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Damon_Qu
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring

Hi All, In ksh, am trying to get a substring stuff done. Not sure where the problem is.. can you guys guide me on this... for instance, var1=41, and var2=4175894567, then i want to know whether var2 starts with var1.. var1 and var2 can be of any length.. VAR1=41 VAR2=419068567777... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nram_krishna@ya
6 Replies
PREG_MATCH(3)								 1							     PREG_MATCH(3)

preg_match - Perform a regular expression match

SYNOPSIS
int preg_match (string $pattern, string $subject, [array &$matches], [int $flags], [int $offset]) DESCRIPTION
Searches $subject for a match to the regular expression given in $pattern. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - The pattern to search for, as a string. o $subject - The input string. o $matches - If $matches is provided, then it is filled with the results of search. $matches[0] will contain the text that matched the full pattern, $matches[1] will have the text that matched the first captured parenthesized subpattern, and so on. o $flags -$flags can be the following flag: o PREG_OFFSET_CAPTURE - If this flag is passed, for every occurring match the appendant string offset will also be returned. Note that this changes the value of $matches into an array where every element is an array consisting of the matched string at offset 0 and its string offset into $subject at offset 1. o $offset - Normally, the search starts from the beginning of the subject string. The optional parameter $offset can be used to specify the alternate place from which to start the search (in bytes). Note Using $offset is not equivalent to passing substr($subject, $offset) to preg_match(3) in place of the subject string, because $pattern can contain assertions such as ^, $ or (?<=x). Compare: <?php $subject = "abcdef"; $pattern = '/^def/'; preg_match($pattern, $subject, $matches, PREG_OFFSET_CAPTURE, 3); print_r($matches); ?> The above example will output: Array ( ) while this example <?php $subject = "abcdef"; $pattern = '/^def/'; preg_match($pattern, substr($subject,3), $matches, PREG_OFFSET_CAPTURE); print_r($matches); ?> will produce Array ( [0] => Array ( [0] => def [1] => 0 ) ) RETURN VALUES
preg_match(3) returns 1 if the $pattern matches given $subject, 0 if it does not, or FALSE if an error occurred. Warning This function may return Boolean FALSE, but may also return a non-Boolean value which evaluates to FALSE. Please read the section on Booleans for more information. Use the === operator for testing the return value of this function. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.6 | | | | | | | Returns FALSE if $offset is higher than $subject | | | length. | | | | | 5.2.2 | | | | | | | Named subpatterns now accept the syntax | | | (?<name>) and (?'name') as well as (?P<name>). | | | Previous versions accepted only (?P<name>). | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Find the string of text "php" <?php // The "i" after the pattern delimiter indicates a case-insensitive search if (preg_match("/php/i", "PHP is the web scripting language of choice.")) { echo "A match was found."; } else { echo "A match was not found."; } ?> Example #2 Find the word "web" <?php /* The  in the pattern indicates a word boundary, so only the distinct * word "web" is matched, and not a word partial like "webbing" or "cobweb" */ if (preg_match("/web/i", "PHP is the web scripting language of choice.")) { echo "A match was found."; } else { echo "A match was not found."; } if (preg_match("/web/i", "PHP is the website scripting language of choice.")) { echo "A match was found."; } else { echo "A match was not found."; } ?> Example #3 Getting the domain name out of a URL <?php // get host name from URL preg_match('@^(?:http://)?([^/]+)@i', "http://www.php.net/index.html", $matches); $host = $matches[1]; // get last two segments of host name preg_match('/[^.]+.[^.]+$/', $host, $matches); echo "domain name is: {$matches[0]} "; ?> The above example will output: domain name is: php.net Example #4 Using named subpattern <?php $str = 'foobar: 2008'; preg_match('/(?P<name>w+): (?P<digit>d+)/', $str, $matches); /* This also works in PHP 5.2.2 (PCRE 7.0) and later, however * the above form is recommended for backwards compatibility */ // preg_match('/(?<name>w+): (?<digit>d+)/', $str, $matches); print_r($matches); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => foobar: 2008 [name] => foobar [1] => foobar [digit] => 2008 [2] => 2008 ) NOTES
Tip Do not use preg_match(3) if you only want to check if one string is contained in another string. Use strpos(3) or strstr(3) instead as they will be faster. SEE ALSO
PCRE Patterns, preg_quote(3), preg_match_all(3), preg_replace(3), preg_split(3), preg_last_error(3). PHP Documentation Group PREG_MATCH(3)