Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting using multiple arguments in my script Post 302440388 by brian112 on Tuesday 27th of July 2010 05:22:56 AM
Old 07-27-2010
using multiple arguments in my script

hi all

i am creating a script to ping hosts and then do a nslookup.
So what needs to happen is that i type the script name with an argument eg:
Code:
zong (script name) 172.x.x.x (IP)

at the moment i have got it to take on argument, but idealy i would like it to take more than 1 argument. can you help? here is the script below...

Code:
 if ($# !=1) then 
   echo broken
  exit
 endif

if ("`ping $1 2 | grep alive`" !="") then
  if ("`nslookup $1 | grep find`" !="") echo "$1"
  endif
exit

this script is written in tcsh.

can anyone help please?

regards,

Brian

Last edited by pludi; 07-27-2010 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run perl script with multiple file arguments

Hello everyone, I have two types of files in a directory: *.txt *.info I have a perl script that uses these two files as arguments, and produces a result file: perl myScript.pl abc.txt abc.xml How can I run this script (in a "for" loop , looping through both types of files)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required in passing multiple arguments from a shell script to a pl/sql block

Hi, hope everyone are fine. Please find my issue below, and I request your help in the same In a configuration file, i have a variable defined as below TEST = 'One','Two','Three' I am trying to pass this variable in to a sql script which is define in a pl/sql block as follows, In the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramakanth_burra
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using switch on multiple arguments

I have a switch statement, and I want to have two options performing the same thing. For example, if $opt matches "-fb" or "--fbase", I want to perform the same operation. How can I include various matches in "case" ? switch ($opt) case "-T": set Atpath = $par set opt_tpath =... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirecting arguments in a script to multiple lines in a .txt file

Ok hope my vocab is right here, i'm trying to write multiple sets of arguments to another file for example: I have a script that accepts four arguments and sends them to a another file $write.sh it then out in so the file receiver.txt would contain this: it then out in what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: austing5
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple arguments to read

I am developing a script where 3 other scripts are included. This is a graph related script. COMPLETE IDEA: -There are 3 different graph scripts. I would like to create a master graph with all 3 in one. -User chooses the type of graph -User is asked to enter the required auguments (... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newkid.7955
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple runtime arguments

I am passing 3 runtime arguments to a shell script $path crtl1 crtl2 the crtl files contains data(filename|date|count) filename.txt|02/05/2010|10 The path contains the original data file,the code should fetch (filename|date|count) from original data file and it should match... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prashanth B
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can multiple arguments be passed to shell script?

My requirement is that I want to pass similar argument to a shell script and process it in the script. Something like below: myScript.sh -c COMPONENT1 -c COMPONENT2 -a APPNote: -c option can be specified multiple times and -a is optional parameter I know this can be achieved using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajdeep_paul
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing multiple arguments to a shell script

Hi Gurus, Need some help with the shell scripting here. #!/bin/ksh ps -ef | grep -i sample.ksh | grep -v grep > abc.txt if then echo "sample.ksh is executing" else echo "sample.ksh is not executing" fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing multiple arguments

Hi, I know with getopts you can pass arguments from the command line ./script -ab -c apple But it doesn't support 2 or more arguments for ONE option. Is there any other way to do this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: testa500
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call Oracle function with multiple arguments from shell script?

Dear All, I want to know how can i call oracle function from shell script code . My oracle function have around 5 input parameters and one return value. for name in *.csv; do echo "connecting to DB and start processing '$name' file at " echo "csv file name=$x" sqlplus -s scoot/tiger <!... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balraj
2 Replies
INSTALLSIEVE(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   INSTALLSIEVE(1)

NAME
installsieve - user utility for managing sieve scripts SYNOPSIS
installsieve DESCRIPTION
installsieve is a utility that allows users to manage their sieve scripts kept on the server. OPTIONS
-v <name> View script with the given name. The script if retrieved sucessfully is output to standard output. -l List all of the scripts currently on the server. If one of the scripts is active a arrow is printed indicating that it is the active script. -p <port> Port to connect to. If left off this defaults to "sieve" as defined in /etc/services. -i <file> Install a file onto the server. If a script with the same name already exists on the server it is overwritten. Upon sucessfully putting the script on the server the script is set active. If <file> has the extension .script it is chopped when put on the server since sieve names may not contain a '.'. -a <name> Set <name> as the active script. The list of available names can be obtained from the '-l' option.. -d <name> Delete the sieve script on the server with <name>. -m <mechanism> Force installsieve to use <mechanism> for authentication. If not specified the strongest authentication mechanism is chosen. -g <name> Get the sieve script with <name> and save it to disk with a ".script" extension. If a file with that name already exists it is overwritten. -u <user> Userid/Authname to use for authentication; by default, the current user. CMU
Project Cyrus INSTALLSIEVE(1)