Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tar/cpio/pax read patterns from stdin Post 302440099 by uiop44 on Monday 26th of July 2010 07:38:48 AM
Old 07-26-2010
thanks drl.
Code:
 | tar x -vzf archive.tar.gz -T -

did the job.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

read file from tar.gz archive

I want to write a c-program which reads a textfile from a tar.gz archive. How can I do it? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: krylin
9 Replies

2. Programming

read and write stdin/stdout in unix

Hi, i am using the below program to read from the standard input or to write to standard out put. i know that using highlevel functions this can be done better than what i have done here. i just want to know is there any other method by which i find the exact number of characters ( this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Help piping tail to read STDIN

Hello everybody, I need some help here. I have a log file that gets updated every hour approximately. I want to make some processing on each line which is added in the log file with a program written in PERL. The problem is that I don't see anything when a line is added in the log file. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samb95
6 Replies

4. Programming

Read redirected file from stdin in C (a.out < file)

Hello everybody, Having a file with the following content: 192.168.0.254->192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2->192.168.0.34 192.168.0.56->192.168.0.77 I need to code a program in C to read it from stdin redirection (i.e. root@box~# ./a.out < file), my question is, how can i do that? I've tried with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: semash!
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between 'pax', 'tar', and cpio

Could any one please help me in understanding the difference between pax,tar and cpio. all of them basically creates archive files. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshi123
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

to read two files, search for patterns and store the output in third file

hello i have two files temp.txt and temp_unique.text the second file consists the unique fields from the temp.txt file the strings stored are in the following form 4,4 17,12 15,65 4,4 14,41 15,65 65,89 1254,1298i'm able to run the following script to get the total count of a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with tar/pax

Hi, I have tar ball "data.tar" which consists of many files from different directories. If I untar a file using following command, it will untar file to location /input/data tar -xvf data.tar /input/data/abc.txt I want the file to be untar in current directory and or any other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
3 Replies

8. Programming

How to read extended ASCII characters from stdin?

Hi, I want to read extended ASCII characters from keyboard using c language on unix/linux. How to read extended characters from keyboard or by copy-paste in terminal irrespective of locale set in the system. I want to read the input characters from keyboard, store it in an array or some local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Command to read between patterns in a while

I am currently working on a requirement in a file wher I have to filter the characters between two specific fields/patters and get the count of total no of characters between the two fields. REQUIREMENT: The below content is in a file 1. I have to get the no of characters between each... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkidhadha
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cpio - input files (from list) are stored in different order inside cpio archive - why?

Due to budget constraints I have to reinvent an Enterprise backup system in a SPARC (sun4v) Solaris estate (10 & 11). (yep - reinvent wheel, fun but time consuming. Is this wise?! :confused: ) For each filesystem of interest, to try to capture a 'catalog' at the front of each cpio archive (for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: am115998
1 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)