Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Usage of grep command to extract only the words. Post 302440095 by dinesh1985 on Monday 26th of July 2010 07:09:10 AM
Old 07-26-2010
grep -o not working korn shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoph Spohr
Or with grep:

Code:
grep -o "SQLSTATE=[0-9][0-9]*" error.log

HTH Chris
chris..Thanks for your reply.grep -o is NOT recognized by my shell. I am using Korn Shell

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and grep command usage

hi Can anyone explain me how these two commands awk and grep works in a ksh shell Thanks Babu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ksmbabu
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to from grep command from a file which contains matching words?

Hi all I have a file with below content (content is variable whenever new product is launched). I need form a grep command like this egrep "Unknown product|Invalid symboland so on" How to do it using a script? Unknown product Invalid symbol No ILX exch found exceeds maximum size AFX... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnl
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command usage in shell

hi, I am facing a problem when i use grep command in shell script. problem is as follows... 1)i has declared an variable (say a) 2)Now i am searching for an pattern in a file and i used the followig command cat /wls_../../scripts/log.txt | grep $a-JUL-08 i am not getting any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanth_t
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep command usage

what is the grep command to get the second occurence of pattern in a file or how to do with sed ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: santosh1234
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr command to extract words

how to use expr command to retrieve all the words before the equal sign "=" with shell script (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 76455
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract words to new file

Hi there, Unix Gurus Working with big listings of english sentences for my pupils, of the type: 1. If the boss's son had been , someone would have asked for money by now. 2. Look, I haven't a crime, so why can't you let me go? .... I wondered how to extract the words between brackets in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldeingles
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to display the space usage (memory usage) of a specific directory.

Hi all, Can you please tell me the command, with which one can know the amount of space a specific directory has used. df -k . ---> Displays, the amount of space allocated, and used for a directory. du -k <dir name> - gives me the memory used of all the files inside <dir> But i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help please with Grep/Sed command to extract text and numbers from a file

Hello All, I need to extract lines from a file that contains ALPHANUMERIC and the length of Alphanumeric is set to 16. I have pasted the sample of the lines from the text file that I have created. My problem is that sometimes 16 appears in other part of the line. I'm only interested to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract words from a pipe

Hello, Currently, I have this output from my application : ------------------------------------------------- Log viewer/Tmp1 (Jun 29 2011 09:48) ------------------------------------------------- BlalbalbaBlalbalba..Blalbalba..Blalbalba..Blalbalba..Blalbalba..Blalbalba..Blalbalba....... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: acidoangel
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question on grep command (extract a string)

Dear all, I have a file a.txt like below: 1_234560_A_G_b37 1 2 1 2 2 2 ... 1_35465767_C_T_b37 2 1 1 2 2 2 ... 2_490638010_A_T_b37 1 2 1 2 2 2 ... 10_4567899_T_G_b37 2 2 1 2 2 2 ... ... what I want to do is extracting rows starting with "10_" like : 10_4567899_T_G_b37 2 2 1 2 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forevertl
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)