Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with sed search&replace between two strings Post 302440081 by Christoph Spohr on Monday 26th of July 2010 06:13:19 AM
Old 07-26-2010
Hi,

if your string

Code:
[rquote=12345&tid=123456&author=nickname][rquote=123456&tid=1234567&author=othernick] This is message text that is being quoted [/rquote]

is saved in a file called "file". This:

Code:
sed 's/rquote[^]]*author/bquote/g;s/rquote/bquote/' file

gives me:

Code:
[bquote=nickname][bquote=othernick] This is message text that is being quoted [/bquote]

If you echo your string on the command line, you will have to escape the "&" sings.

HTH Chris
This User Gave Thanks to Christoph Spohr For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using varible/varible substitution in Perl/sed Search & Replace

Hi, I have a program that searches for a particular string patten. I am however having difficulty passing the varible $i (in a loop) as the string pattern to replace. Using either perl or sed search and replace statements, I get the same kinda result. For example, using the perl: for i in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breen
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help, sed search&replace

Plzzzz, tell me some script about this... What does this mean ? sed '/^ */s///' sed '/^/s// /' and why it's diferent ??? sed '/ */s// /g' and sed 's/ */ /g'. It's all the same ??? Thanks you very much (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mle
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for strings & copy to new file

Hi All, I am just learning shell programming, I need to do the following in my shell script. Search a given log file for two\more strings. If the the two\more strings are found then write it to a outputfile else if only one of the string is found, write the found string in one output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitrajvarma
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace two different strings?

Hey everyone! Simple question - I am trying to use sed to replace two different strings. As it stands I can implement this as: sed -i 's/TIMEOUT//g' sed -i 's/null//g' And it works. However, is it possible to shrink that down into a single command? Will there be any performance benefits? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search replace strings between single quotes in a text file

Hi There... I need to serach and replace a strings in a text file. My file has; books.amazon='Let me read' and the output needed is books.amazon=NONFOUND pls if anybody know this can be done in script sed or awk.. i have a list of different strings to be repced by NONFOUND.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiano
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed to search & replace data in first column

Hi All, I need help in manipulating the data in first column in a file. The sample data looks like below, Mon Jul 18 00:32:52 EDT 2011,NULL,UAT Jul 19 2011,NULL,UAT 1] All field in the file are separated by "," 2] File is having weekly data extracted from database 3] For eg.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search replace strings between single quotes

Hi All, I need to serach and replace a strings between single quote in a file. My file has : location='/data1/test.log' and the output needed is location='/data2/test_dir/test.log' pls if anybody know this can be done in script sed or awk. I have a script, but it's... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace: Multiple Strings / Multiple Files

I have a list of files all over a file system e.g. /home/1/foo/bar.x /www/sites/moose/foo.txtI'm looking for strings in these files and want to replace each occurrence with a replacement string, e.g. if I find: '#@!^\&@ in any of the files I want to replace it with: 655#@11, etc. There... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search IP address and replace with strings

Hi All, How can I find (pattern search with grep/awk/sed) all files containing any IP address pattern in one directory hierarchy and in its sub-directories. The files can contains more than 4 octets in addition to the IP address as shown below. IP address can contain any octet combinations like-... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search and lossless replace strings using sed?

Hello, I would like to replace all occurencies of long data types by others (coresponding int) using 'sed' in the extensive source code of a software package written for 32 bit CPUs. I must use regular expressions to avoid wrong replacements like s/unsigned]+long/ulong/gLeaving out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mick P. F.
2 Replies
JSONBOT(1)							    jsb manual								JSONBOT(1)

NAME
JSONBOT - The JSON everywhere bot! SYNOPSIS
JSONBOT is a remote event-driven framework for building bots that talk JSON to each other over XMPP. This manual page documents briefly the jsb distribution.. DESCRIPTION
This distribution provides bots built on this framework for console, IRC, XMPP, Convore and WWW on the shell. USAGE
JSONBOT uses command line options to configure a bot. See the --help option to get more help on a command options or see the corresponding man page. the jsb pakage contains the following programs: * jsb - console version of jsb * jsb-backup - create backup of JSONBOT datadir * jsb-convore - convore version of jsb * jsb-init - create data directory and config examples, default ~/.jsb * jsb-irc - IRC version of jsb * jsb-fleet - mix IRC and XMPP bots * jsb-sed - sed a whole directory * jsb-stop - stop a running bot * jsb-tornado - a shell web server based on tornado * jsb-udp - send udp packets to the bot that will relay the data * jsb-xmpp - XMPP version of jsb note: JSONBOT is in BETA stage right now and still subject to change of protocols and API. see http://jsonbot.googlecode.com. see https://jsonbot.org for documentation on the bot. SEE ALSO
The program is documented fully on http://jsonbot.org or see http://jsonbot.googlecode.com SEE ALSO
jsb(1), jsb-backup(1), jsb-init(1), jsb-irc(1), jsb-xmpp(1), jsb-fleet(1), jsb-tornado(1), jsb-stop(1), jsb-udp(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bart Thate <bthate@gmail.com>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Debian GNU/Linux 22 Nov 2011 JSONBOT(1)