Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers character-by-character comparison of strings Post 302440039 by ygemici on Monday 26th of July 2010 02:01:22 AM
Old 07-26-2010
Code:
# i=0;for char in `echo Hello | fold -w 1 ` ; do
STRING[i]=$char
((i++))
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

character comparison problem

I have three lines in a log that I want to check to make sure that they say the following (mm/dd/yyyy and hh:mm:ss changes depending in when the log is generated): '*** Testing file for mm/dd/yyyy' '*** End of procedure! Time was: hh:mm:ss' '*** End ***' I did some sed... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl RegExp to remove last character from strings

I use SAS (a statistical software) and have to remove last character or the last 1/2 numbers that appear after characters from the string using Perl Regular Expression (which is recognized by SAS). Input: f183ii10 f183ii2 f182ii1 f182ii2 f183iim f22ii f22ii11 f22ii12 pmh4 pmhm Desired... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ospreyeagle
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding character mismatch position in two strings

Hello, I would like to find an efficient way to compare a pair of strings that differ at one position, and return the difference and position. For example: String1 123456789 String2 123454789 returning something - position 6, 6/4 Thanks in advance, Mike (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: etherite
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help to replace character strings

Hello Can Any1 help me. I want to replace a specific character string inside a file at a specific location with a particular character with the help of a command or a shell script. The tr command replaces a specific character with another for all the occurences of that character in the file. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting strings before and after a character

OK This one has me stumped. I have the following line, program name - the program description that can also contain a hyphen - character. I'm need to separate the "program name" from the program description. I've tried using an array function with the - as delimiter, but I ran into a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricksj
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uppercase/lowercase comparison of one character per line with awk??

Another frustrating scripting problem from a biologist trying to manipulate a file with several millions line. For each of the line I need to compare the uppercase A or C or G or T with the lowercase a or c or g or t. If there are more uppercases, a + should be added to a new column, otherwise a -... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace two character strings by two variables with sed command

Hello, I want to writte a script that replace two character strings by two variables with the command sed butmy solution doesn't work. I'm written this: sed "s/TTFactivevent/$TTFav/g && s/switchSLL/$SLL/g" templatefile. I want to replace TTFactivevent by the variable $TTFav, that is a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: POPO10
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting strings with - as first character in bash

I have a variable containing a list of strings, and want to create a string with the first character being -. Example: var="-name fred paul -surname winnett dimech" I want a string, namely errStr="-name -surname" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting 22-character strings from text using sed/awk?

Here is my task, I feel sure this can be accomplished with see/awk but can't seem to figure out how. I have large flat file from which I need to extract every case of a pairing of characters (GG) in this case PLUS the previous 20 characters. The output should be a list (which I plan to make... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove certain character strings with awk?

Hi all, I need to remove DBPATH= and /db from the string below using awk (or sed, as it also exists on the machine). Input: DBPATH=/some/path/database/db Desired output: /some/path/database Thank you! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
8 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)