Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove strings within range using sed Post 302439914 by ksk on Sunday 25th of July 2010 12:57:06 AM
Old 07-25-2010
Thanks everyone.

That works perfectly well for the filetype I mentioned. Now, the problem is that I have to take out the line immediately preceding the first pattern as well.

That is, if the file is
Code:
a = 1
b = 1
<point>
</point>
print a
c = 1

I need
Code:
a = 1
print a
c = 1

Can you suggest the modification?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove range part of a file with sed

Hello, I would like to remove a range from a file with sed or any script command that is appropriate The section start by and finish by and I would like to keep line Could you tell me which command I should type ? Thanks a lot, Franck My input file is like this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mfranck
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: remove characters between and including 2 strings

I have the following line: 4/23/2010 0:00:38.000: Copying $$3MSYDDC02$I would like to use sed (or similiar) to remove everthing between and including $ that appears in the line so it ends up like this. 4/23/2010 0:00:38.000: Copying 3MSYDDC02I have been trying these but i'm really just... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: Remove whitespace between two strings

I have a 13 number string, some whitespace, and then /mp3. I need to join them. Everyline that I need this for begins with "cd" (without the quotes). What it looks like now: cd media/Audio/WAVE/9781933976334 /mp3 What I want my output to be: cd media/Audio/WAVE/9781933976334/mp3 The 13... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

any savant ? using AWK/SED to remove newline character between two strings : conditional removal

I'd like to remove (do a pattern or precise replacement - this I can handle in SED using Regex ) ---AFTER THE 1ST Occurrence ( i.e. on the 2nd occurrence - from the 2nd to fourth occurance ) of a specific string : type 1 -- After the 1st occurrence of 1 string1 till the 1st occurrence of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sieger007
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a range of lines from a file using sed

Hi I am having some issue editing a file in sed. What I want to do is, in a loop pass a variable to a sed command. Sed should then search a file for a line that matches that variable, then remove all lines below until it reaches a line starting with a constant. I have managed to write a... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andy82
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed script to remove strings

Below am trying to separate FA-7A:1, In output file it should display 7A 1 Command am using Gives same output as below format: 22B7 10000000c9720873 0 22B7 10000000c95d5d8b 0 22BB 10000000c97843a2 0 22BB 10000000c975adbd 0 Not showing FA ports as required format... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

USING sed to remove multiple strings/words from a line

Hi I use sed comnand to remove occurance of one workd from a line. However I need to removed occurance of dufferent words in ne line. Original-1 Hi this is the END of my begining Comand sed s/"END"/"start"/g Output-1 Hi this is the start of my beginig But I have more... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to remove specific column to one range

I need to remove specific column to one range source file 3 1 000123456 2 2 000123569 3 3 000123564 12 000123156 15 000125648 128 000125648 Output required 3 000123456 2 000123569 3 000123564 12 000123156 15 000125648 128 000125648 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search for Multiple strings in a given date range and print the Group if they exists

Hi, I am Searching for Multiple strings in a given date range and print the Group if they exists. the below is the format: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ID: FIRST ID MESSAGE: Event Message... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxuser999
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Match patterns between two files and extract certain range of strings

Hi, I need help to match patterns from between two different files and extract region of strings. inputfile1.fa >l-WR24-1:1 GCCGGCGTCGCGGTTGCTCGCGCTCTGGGCGCTGGCGGCTGTGGCTCTACCCGGCTCCGG GGCGGAGGGCGACGGCGGGTGGTGAGCGGCCCGGGAGGGGCCGGGCGGTGGGGTCACGTG... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bunny_merah19
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)