Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What's the max integer a variable can hold? Post 302439646 by methyl on Friday 23rd of July 2010 08:04:32 AM
Old 07-23-2010
You did run the script didn't you.

I get the following output:
Code:
DD id 1503437728
PASS

The number in variable $DD is clearly corrupted during the arithmetic operation. This is because of binary overflow.
The largest positive number you can hold in a shell integer variable is:
+2147483647 .
-which is exactly one less than (1024 x 1024 x 1024 x 2).

To work in Shell with larger numbers you must use and external program such as "bc" and store intermediate numbers in text variables.
Code:
ANSWER=""
ANSWER=`echo "12345678912332232 * 20" | bc`
echo "${ANSWER}"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

capturing the output of grep as integer variable

Hi, I have an expression using grep and nawk that captures the ID number of a given Unix process. It gets printed to screen but I don't know how to declare a variable to this returned value! For example, ps -ef|grep $project | grep -v grep | nawk '{print $2}' This returns my number. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babariba
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Max size of variable

What is the maximum amount of characters that you can have in a varible name in the ksh shell? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MAX SIZE ARRAY Can Hold it

Hi, Do anyone know what's the max size of array (in awk) can be store before hit any memory issue. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: epall
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting a String variable into Integer

Hi, I am passing a variable to a unix function. However when I try to assign the value to another variable like typeset -i I_CACHE_VAL=$2 Is this because of String to Integer conversion? I get an error. Please help me with thsi. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeto
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Subtracting an Integer from a Variable

Hello, I am in following situation.- COUNT=`ls -l | wc -l` echo $COUNT ---> 26 NO_OF_FILES=$COUNT-1 echo $NO_OF_FILES ---> 26-1 Here, I want the output to be 25. How could I do this. It seems simple, but I am not getting it. Please help me. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Observer
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

built in variable to hold the name of therunning script...

Hi, I have multiple functions that can be called by any shell script. These functions have inbuilt echo statements to logs their activity into a log file. When I run multiple shell scripts that call these functions, they all log into the same log file and I am not able to differentiate which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_learner
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Variable From Fille And Convert it to Integer

I read 3 variables from from Inputfile.txt the third one "startnumber" is a number when i compare it with 9 ($startnumber -le 9) it give's me a "unary operator expected", i know that -le is for number comparison. What i need is to convert $startnumber to integer (i have try to do it with expr but... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: marios
8 Replies

8. Solaris

How to Use a Variable as Integer?

hello, i am writing a script that takes the UID from the PASSWD and then i want to increse the Number by one. for the Next user. i cannot get this to work that a variable is as interger example: set i = 0 set $i = $+1 it's in tcsh if it's mather (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shatztal
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date/Time parts to variable as integer

Hi Guys, i guess there is a several ways to grub the strings from date and time like THISMONTH='/bin/date +%m' but the hard part is to add or sub that string to a variable i tried to use let command TWOMONTHSAGO=$THISMONTH declare -i TWOMONTHSAGO let TWOMONTHSAGO-=2 but there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CyR0iz4l1v3
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable hold in UNIX job

In log directory file contain log files and files contain some unique job name which is dynamically created (example=55555 ),if job get 55555 then send alert message, but after next run if it find ---55555 then no need send alert message While checking the first job name you are capturing the Job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalia
3 Replies
tkvars(n)						       Tk Built-In Commands							 tkvars(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
tkvars - Variables used or set by Tk _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The following Tcl variables are either set or used by Tk at various times in its execution: tk_library This variable holds the file name for a directory containing a library of Tcl scripts related to Tk. These scripts include an initialization file that is normally processed whenever a Tk application starts up, plus other files containing proce- dures that implement default behaviors for widgets. The initial value of tcl_library is set when Tk is added to an inter- preter; this is done by searching several different directories until one is found that contains an appropriate Tk startup script. If the TK_LIBRARY environment variable exists, then the directory it names is checked first. If TK_LIBRARY isn't set or doesn't refer to an appropriate directory, then Tk checks several other directories based on a compiled-in default location, the location of the Tcl library directory, the location of the binary containing the application, and the current working directory. The variable can be modified by an application to switch to a different library. tk_patchLevel Contains a decimal integer giving the current patch level for Tk. The patch level is incremented for each new release or patch, and it uniquely identifies an official version of Tk. tkPriv This variable is an array containing several pieces of information that are private to Tk. The elements of tkPriv are used by Tk library procedures and default bindings. They should not be accessed by any code outside Tk. tk_strictMotif This variable is set to zero by default. If an application sets it to one, then Tk attempts to adhere as closely as possi- ble to Motif look-and-feel standards. For example, active elements such as buttons and scrollbar sliders will not change color when the pointer passes over them. tk_version Tk sets this variable in the interpreter for each application. The variable holds the current version number of the Tk library in the form major.minor. Major and minor are integers. The major version number increases in any Tk release that includes changes that are not backward compatible (i.e. whenever existing Tk applications and scripts may have to change to work with the new release). The minor version number increases with each new release of Tk, except that it resets to zero whenever the major version number changes. KEYWORDS
variables, version Tk 4.1 tkvars(n)