Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Splitting the records.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Splitting the records. Post 302439317 by singh.chandan18 on Thursday 22nd of July 2010 08:57:04 AM
Old 07-22-2010
Hi Guys,

I've found the solution for this as below:
Code:
   echo $file | awk ' {

z = split($1, name, "-")

DirName=name[1]

for (i = 2; i <= z; i++) {

if ( name[i] == name[1] ) {

print DirName

}

else {

DirName = DirName "-" name[i]

}

}

}'

Splitting the elements of the filename into an array. Then loop through each element - if it doesn't match the first element, concatenate it to a variable holding the directory name. If the element matches the first one, print out the directory name.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a file based on the records in another file

All, We receive a file with a large no of records (records can vary) and we have to split it into two files based on another file. e.g. File1: UHDR 2008112 "25187","00000022","00",21-APR-1991,"" ,"D",-000000519,+0000000000,"C", ,+000000000,+000000000,000000000,"2","" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Based on num of records in file1 need to check records in file2 to set some condns

Hi All, I have two files say file1 and file2. I want to check the number of records in file1 and if its atleast 2 (i.e., 2 or greater than 2 ) then I have to check records in file2 .If records in file2 is atleast 1 (i.e. if its not empty ) i have to set some conditions . Could you pls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - splitting 1 large file into multiple based on same key records

Hello gurus, I am new to "awk" and trying to break a large file having 4 million records into several output files each having half million but at the same time I want to keep the similar key records in the same output file, not to exist accross the files. e.g. my data is like: Row_Num,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kam66
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting record into multiple records by appending values from an input field (AWK)

Hello, For the input file, I am trying to split those records which have multiple values seperated by '|' in the last input field, into multiple records and each record corresponds to the common input fields + one of the value from the last field. I was trying with an example on this forum... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imtiaz99
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files with different number of records and output only the Extra records from file1

Hi Freinds , I have 2 files . File 1 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |pra|bhe|3|hyd |omu|hei|4|bnsj |uer|oeri|5|uery File 2 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |uer|oi|3|uery output : (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting records in a text file based on delimiter

A text file has 2 fields (Data, Filename) delimited by # as below, Data,Filename Row1 -> abc#Test1.xml Row2 -> xyz#Test2.xml Row3 -> ghi#Test3.xml The content in first field has to be written into a file where filename should be considered from second field. So from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayakkannan
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting data into new records

Hi, My file is seperated with ";" delimiter, after 13 delimiter i want to put the data in new line... eg: My current file:- a;b;c;d;e;f;g;h;e;f;h;s;t;a;i;o;q;t;q;r;yu;f;sz;f;t;r........... i want o/p as:- a;b;c;d;e;f;g;h;e;f;h;s;t a;i;o;q;t;q;r;yu;f;sz;f;t;r How to achieve ths,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for splitting file of records into multiple files

Hello I have a file of following format HDR 1234 abc qwerty abc def ghi jkl HDR 4567 xyz qwerty abc def ghi jkl HDR 890 mno qwerty abc def ghi jkl HDR 1234 abc qwerty abc def ghi jkl HDR 1234 abc qwerty abc def ghi jkl -Need to split this into multiple files based on tag... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wincrazy
8 Replies
NWDIAG(1)						      General Commands Manual							 NWDIAG(1)

NAME
nwdiag - generate network-diagram image file from spec-text file. SYNOPSIS
nwdiag [options] files DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the nwdiag commands. nwdiag is generate sequence-diagram image file from spec-text file. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, see the Info files. -h, --help show this help message and exit. --version show program's version number and exit. -a, --antialias Pass diagram image to anti-alias filter. -c FILE, --config=FILE read configurations from FILE. -o FILE write diagram to FILE. -f FONT, --font=FONT use FONT to draw diagram. -T TYPE Output diagram as TYPE format. SEE ALSO
The programs are documented fully by http://blockdiag.com/en/nwdiag/ AUTHOR
nwdiag was written by Takeshi Komiya <i.tkomiya@gmail.com> This manual page was written by Kouhei Maeda <mkouhei@palmtb.net>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). June 11, 2011 NWDIAG(1)