Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sendmail command options question Post 302439250 by Amit86 on Thursday 22nd of July 2010 07:02:31 AM
Old 07-22-2010
Sendmail command options question

Hello,
I am trying to use sendmail with spesific usage

I am trying to tail a file and send it from an address to my personal mail

I am doing so with this command:
tail -c 60000 test | sendmail -f sender@domain.com my@mail.com

This is working great.
I am trying to add this command a subject. so I will be able to add a title to the emails in order to filter them in my mailing applications

Is it possible? I havent found anything about it using the forums
and the simple echo "Subject: bla bla" does not work on this context..

Thanks for the help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail question

I'm using sendmail to send a attachment which works good. I send the To Cc Subject Attachment. Question is does anyone know how to put a voting botton in the script when sending the email I want the Approve;Reject button. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dan Savarino
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail question

How would I configure sendmail so that the INTERN group can only send email locally to xyz.com, while the EXTERN group can send email anywhere. Thanks for your help! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Malbeuf
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail question

I apologize for asking what I'm sure is a basic question, but I have an automated script that will send a file using sendmail to a list of e-mail accounts. When one or more of those e-mail accounts is bad, it bounces the message back to the account that is executing the script. How can I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jake513
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail question

Hello to all, I configured sendmail on a solaris 9 system the same as another server that the one I configured will replace. I transferred all the required files from the original system to the new one as well ar the /var/mail directory. The sendmail daemon is running however when I try to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GLJ@USC
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Sendmail Question

Hi Guys, Quick question re sendmail and mail queues. If the sendmail deamon is stopped i.e. set up to execute and stop at certain intervals from crontab, and the sendmail command is invoked the mail is queued in the clientmqueue directory. Then the next time sendmail is executed the mails... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KenLynch
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Sendmail Question

Yes Folks, Quick question. Is it possible to send multiple attachments with sendmail and if so how? Thinking here in terms of sending multiple .pdf files as attachments. I can do it with one but how do I do it for multiples. Slainte, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KenLynch
1 Replies

7. Solaris

sendmail question

Hello all, On my solaris 9 I have this process running smmsp 29138 1 0 Apr 17 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m root 29137 1 0 Apr 17 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -q15m if i use the command /usr/bin/mconnect connecting to host localhost (127.0.0.1), port... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hugues
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to? launch command with string of command line options

my description from another thread... here's my code: #!/bin/bash IFS=$'\n' function OutputName() { input=$1 echo $input input=`echo "$input" | sed -e 's/.//'` input=`echo "$input".avi` output_name=$input } if ]; then echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TinCanFury
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about Sendmail Options

I am using Sendmail 8.13.1 My sendmail issues 'EHLO aaa.mydomain.com' to another MTA during sending mails. aaa.mydomain.com is hostname of my server. I want to set another domain( bbb.mydomain.com ) in this hello messgae. I tried to change this in sendmail configuration and failed. O... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcliff
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running set options from the command line and bash command

I'm reading about debugging aids in bash and have come across the set command. It says in my little book that an addition to typing set you can also use them "on the command line when running a script..." and it lists this in a small table: set -o option Command Line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
5 Replies
XDG-EMAIL(1)							 xdg-email Manual						      XDG-EMAIL(1)

NAME
xdg-email - command line tool for sending mail using the user's preferred e-mail composer SYNOPSIS
xdg-email [--utf8] [--cc address] [--bcc address] [--subject text] [--body text] [--attach file] [mailto-uri | address(es)] xdg-email {--help | --manual | --version} DESCRIPTION
xdg-email opens the user's preferred e-mail composer in order to send a mail to address(es) or mailto-uri. RFC2368 defines mailto: URIs. xdg-email limits support to, cc, subject and body fields in mailto-uri, all other fields are silently ignored. address(es) must follow the syntax of RFC822. Multiple addresses may be provided as separate arguments. All information provided on the command line is used to prefill corresponding fields in the user's e-mail composer. The user will have the opportunity to change any of this information before actually sending the e-mail. xdg-email is for use inside a desktop session only. It is not recommended to use xdg-email as root. See http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/EmailConfig for information on how the user can change the e-mail composer that is used. OPTIONS
--utf8 Indicates that all command line options that follow are in utf8. Without this option, command line options are expected to be encoded according to locale. If the locale already specifies utf8 this option has no effect. This option does not affect mailto URIs that are passed on the command line. --cc address Specify a recipient to be copied on the e-mail. --bcc address Specify a recipient to be blindly copied on the e-mail. --subject text Specify a subject for the e-mail. --body text Specify a body for the e-mail. Since the user will be able to make changes before actually sending the e-mail, this can be used to provide the user with a template for the e-mail. text may contain linebreaks. --attach file Specify an attachment for the e-mail. file must point to an existing file. Some e-mail applications require the file to remain present after xdg-email returns. --help Show command synopsis. --manual Show this manual page. --version Show the xdg-utils version information. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
xdg-email honours the following environment variables: XDG_UTILS_DEBUG_LEVEL Setting this environment variable to a non-zero numerical value makes xdg-email do more verbose reporting on stderr. Setting a higher value increases the verbosity. EXIT CODES
An exit code of 0 indicates success while a non-zero exit code indicates failure. The following failure codes can be returned: 1 Error in command line syntax. 2 One of the files passed on the command line did not exist. 3 A required tool could not be found. 4 The action failed. 5 No permission to read one of the files passed on the command line. CONFIGURATION
Visit http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/EmailConfig for information how to configure xdg-email to use the email client of your choice. EXAMPLES
xdg-email 'Jeremy White <jwhite@example.com>' xdg-email --attach /tmp/logo.png --subject 'Logo contest' --body 'Attached you find the logo for the contest.' 'jwhite@example.com' xdg-email --subject 'Your password is about to expire' 'jwhite@example.com' 'bastian@example.com' 'whipple@example.com' AUTHORS
Kevin Krammer Author. Jeremy White Author. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2006 xdg-utils 1.0 08/18/2014 XDG-EMAIL(1)