Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers move files between file systems with privileges, time stamp Post 302439013 by presul on Wednesday 21st of July 2010 11:15:19 AM
Old 07-21-2010
move files between file systems with privileges, time stamp

Hi

I have to move files between file systems but files in new file system must have the same attributes as in old one (privileges, time stamp etc).

Which tool is best :
- ufsdump / ufsrestore
- tar
- cpio
- pax
- dd
- mv

Or maybe there is sth else, you suggest to use.

Thx for help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to delete the files based on the time stamp of the file

Hi Everyone, I want to delete some files in a path based on the time stamp of the file that is i want to delete the file once in a month. Can any one help me on this? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy all the files with time stamp and remove header,trailer from file

All, I am new to unix and i have the following requirement. I have file(s) landing into input directory with timestamp, first i want to copy all these files into seperate directory then i want to rename these files without timestamp and also remove header,trailer from that file.. Could... (35 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksrams
35 Replies

3. Solaris

doubt reg time stamp in files.

I copied a file from one host to another using sftp. But after copying the time stamp is not updating . Even though I checked the permission, it looks good. I copied the same file to some temporary location, there it updating the time stamp. Anyone have any idea on this (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files one at the time and wait until the previous file is handled

I'm a novice at unix and need it more and more to do my work. I seem running into problems getting this script "attempt" to work: I need to copy all files in a directory, which is containing 22000 files, into a directory one level up. There a tool monitors the content of the dir and processes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: compasscard
2 Replies

5. Fedora

Move file based time stamp

Hi all, I've already tired to try to solved this problem. Also search in Internet didn't find anything solution I have a directory like this : # pwd /opt/projects/juventini # ls -al | more total 3627460 drwxr-xr-x 2 app apps 12472320 Sep 24 14:59 . drwxr-xr-x 11 app apps 4096 Jun... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunardo
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Old time stamp being updated for new files

Hello Friends I am facing a weird problem :confused:, we receive thousands of files in my system on a daily basis, access time stamp on some of the files are being updated as old time stamp like 1968-01-19, Could some one help me what could be causing this? so that i can narrow down the problem... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select files by time stamp

Hi, I need help to read file in a directory on basis of time stamp. e.g. If file access in last 2 minutes it should not be copy to remote directory. Below is my script. +++++++++++++++++++++++++ #!/bin/ksh DATE=`date +"%Y-%m-%d_%H%M"` SEPARATER=" " exec < out_interfaces.cfg... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: qamar.alam
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files with date and time stamp

Hi Folks, Need a clarification on files with date and time stamp. Here is my requirement. There is a file created everyday with the following format "file.txt.YYYYMMDDHHMMSS". Now i need to check for this file and if it is available then i need to do some task to the file. I tried... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Time Stamp Range On Log Files

I have created this script #!/bin/sh FILES=/data/log/access_*.log for f in $FILES do echo "Processing $f file" cat $f | awk '{print $1}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n | tail done It produces this output Processing /data/log/access_abc.log file 114 1.1.1.1 167 2.2.2.2 ... (38 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharingsunshine
38 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying multiple files and appending time stamp before file extension

Hi, I have multiple files that read: Asa.txt Bad.txt Gnu.txt And I want to rename them using awk to Asa_ddmmyytt.txt and so on ... If there is a single command or more efficient executable please share! Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jesshelle David
4 Replies
ARCHIVE_WRITE_FORMAT(3) 				   BSD Library Functions Manual 				   ARCHIVE_WRITE_FORMAT(3)

NAME
archive_write_set_format_cpio, archive_write_set_format_pax, archive_write_set_format_pax_restricted, archive_write_set_format_shar, archive_write_set_format_shar_dump, archive_write_set_format_ustar -- functions for creating archives LIBRARY
Streaming Archive Library (libarchive, -larchive) SYNOPSIS
#include <archive.h> int archive_write_set_format_cpio(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_pax(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_pax_restricted(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_shar(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_shar_dump(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_ustar(struct archive *); DESCRIPTION
These functions set the format that will be used for the archive. The library can write POSIX octet-oriented cpio format archives, POSIX-standard ``pax interchange'' format archives, traditional ``shar'' ar- chives, enhanced ``dump'' shar archives that store a variety of file attributes and handle binary files, and POSIX-standard ``ustar'' ar- chives. The pax interchange format is a backwards-compatible tar format that adds key/value attributes to each entry and supports arbitrary filenames, linknames, uids, sizes, etc. ``Restricted pax interchange format'' is the library default; this is the same as pax format, but suppresses the pax extended header for most normal files. In most cases, this will result in ordinary ustar archives. RETURN VALUES
These functions return ARCHIVE_OK on success, or ARCHIVE_FATAL. ERRORS
Detailed error codes and textual descriptions are available from the archive_errno() and archive_error_string() functions. SEE ALSO
tar(1), libarchive(3), archive_write(3), archive_write_set_options(3), cpio(5), mtree(5), tar(5) BSD
February 2, 2012 BSD