Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Temp mysql files jamming CPU resources Post 302438974 by malcolmpdx on Wednesday 21st of July 2010 09:45:28 AM
Old 07-21-2010
Tuning my.cnf settings is not trivial, and is very dependent on the application.

Run that script I linked to. It will suggest a lot of different things you can tune.

Also, most distributions of mysql have sample my.cnf files for various levels of load and use in the docs that come with the distribution, you might look at those to get some ideas.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Application occupying CPU resources

Dear all, I have a pro c application running in the unix environement. This pro c program actually trigger by a java application from sun workstation. Recently, when we released a new proc c application and notice that the application occupying the CPU resources even through we check that the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghho
1 Replies

2. Linux

Shared web server resources (CPU&RAM)

Hello, guys ! Long time no seen. I have a question about Linux web servers. I guess it is a more general question, but in my case it is a Linux web server. I want to know how much RAM memory should I put on my servers. Do you have some formula or guidelines on how should I calculate the amount... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sergiu-IT
1 Replies

3. Solaris

CPU resources

Hi, I got a solarsi 10 box with 9 zones and the cpu shares as following ID NAME SHARES 0 global 1 1 FMW1 100 2 FMW2 100 3 OID1 100 4 OID2 100 5 OVD1 100 6 OID0 100 7 FMW5 100 8... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Security issue and temp files

Hello, One of the senior network admins at work told me that I should not hard code temp files into my scripts. Rather I should use the mktemp commands in the script to create them on the fly. His argument was that if a malicious user knew the name of my temp files in the script they could... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

temp files

Hi there, As a regular unix user I am forever programming on the command line or writing scripts so that I first write a load of data to a file to read from. In the end I am always left with a bundle of .txt, .tmp which is what I usually call them. As a basic programmmer I was wondering is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

RMTF (ReMove Temp Files)

Heyas As some applications (sed,grep,vi, etc) create some tempfiles, i'd changed a script to this: (sadly i cant find the original post (code) anymore (which just removed 2 'diffrent kinds'), just similar ones - forgot that as i was new to all this) :) ~ $ cat $(which rmtf) #!/bin/sh #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sea
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Sun Fire V210 CPU Fan Temp too high?

Hey, I have a V210 with a failed CPU fan. The temperature is currently at 84C and I've been asked to wait a few weeks before replacing as its a production system and it cant be shut down yet. Is it too hot? Do I risk killing the CPU at this temp? Its been like this for a few weeks now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: magarvo
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing large number of temp files

Hi All, I am having a situation now to delete a huge number of temp files created during run times approx. 16700+ files. We have never imagined that we will get this this much big list of files during run time. It worked fine for lesser no of files in the list. But when list is huge we are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad man
7 Replies
CPULIMIT(1)							   User commands						       CPULIMIT(1)

NAME
cpulimit -- limits the CPU usage of a process SYNOPSIS
cpulimit [TARGET] [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
TARGET must be exactly one of these: -p, --pid=N pid of the process -e, --exe=FILE name of the executable program file -P, --path=PATH absolute path name of the executable program file OPTIONS -b, --background run cpulimit in the background, freeing up the terminal -c, --cpu specify the number of CPU cores available. Usually this is detected for us. -l, --limit=N percentage of CPU allowed from 1 up. Usually 1 - 100, but can be higher on multi-core CPUs. (mandatory) -v, --verbose show control statistics -z, --lazy exit if there is no suitable target process, or if it dies -h, --help display this help and exit EXAMPLES
Assuming you have started `foo --bar` and you find out with top(1) or ps(1) that this process uses all your CPU time you can either # cpulimit -e foo -l 50 limits the CPU usage of the process by acting on the executable program file (note: the argument "--bar" is omitted) # cpulimit -p 1234 -l 50 limits the CPU usage of the process by acting on its PID, as shown by ps(1) # cpulimit -P /usr/bin/foo -l 50 same as -e but uses the absolute path name # /usr/bin/someapp # cpulimit -p $! -l 25 -b Useful for scripts where you want to throttle the last command run. # cpulimit -l 20 firefox Launch Firefox web browser and limit its CPU usage to 20% # cpulimit -c 2 -p 12345 -l 25 The -c flag sets the number of CPU cores the program thinks are available. Usually this is detected for us, but can be over-ridden. NOTES
o cpulimit always sends the SIGSTOP and SIGCONT signals to a process, both to verify that it can control it and to limit the average amount of CPU it consumes. This can result in misleading (annoying) job control messages that indicate that the job has been stopped (when actually it was, but immediately restarted). This can also cause issues with interactive shells that detect or otherwise depend on SIGSTOP/SIGCONT. For example, you may place a job in the foreground, only to see it immediately stopped and restarted in the back- ground. (See also <http://bugs.debian.org/558763>.) o When invoked with the -e or -P options, cpulimit looks for any process under /proc with a name that matches the process name argument given. Furthermore, it uses the first instance of the process found. To control a specific instance of a process, use the -p option and provide a PID. o The current version of cpulimit assumes the kernel HZ value 100. AUTHOR
This manpage was written for the Debian project by gregor herrmann <gregoa@debian.org> but may be used by others. cpulimit June 2012 CPULIMIT(1)