Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Need some advice concerning file transfer with a serial connection Post 302438699 by jgt on Tuesday 20th of July 2010 11:48:58 AM
Old 07-20-2010
The DTFS file system is only available with the Desktop (2 user) version of 5.0.7.
As far as I know, there is no way to mount either file system with Linux.
Why not just copy the files to CD, install a CD/DVD writer if one is not already installed, and use 'cdrecord' to create a CD.
This User Gave Thanks to jgt For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hp-ux serial connection question

Hi, I need to connect from an hp-ux box to a device that only have a serial port. When I need to do that from solaris to that device I used put a null modem and type tip hardwire, but I'm new with hp-ux and I don't have the tip command. Any idea? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

ip communication through serial connection

I have serial modem connection between two computers. We have to login the remote computer through ip address. How can I get the ip address in this connection? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcsaji
1 Replies

3. SCO

Serial File Transfer

I need to transfer files from a sco/unix system to a windows xp system and they are only connected via a digiboard serial connection. The terminal emulation software connects and runs a program but I need to transfer files. Anyone know a good solution? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chansen
2 Replies

4. Programming

how i can transfer and receive file in any format over serial port

helo i m using fedora core 6 o.s. i want to develop application using c,c++ which transfer file in any format(like pdf,txt,doc etc) over the serial port and i want to receive the same file from the serial port please guide me. amit (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
4 Replies

5. SCO

data transfer from serial port

dear sir, pls. can you help me ? , my os is unix sco 5.0.4 and ,server dat derive (1,4gb) not working, now i want to transfer my server data in other machine (unix/other possible) by serial port/other port comminication. thanks pankaj raval (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajbraval
2 Replies

6. Solaris

USB to Serial Adapter connection

Hi Community, I'm working on Sun Server V490 with my PC (with OS Vista). I'm using a USB to Serial Adapter to connect to Server directly. I've this problem, I'm connecting to Server with Putty client with this settings: boud rate 9600, 8 bit, 0 parity, 0 flow control, but after to have typed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
4 Replies

7. AIX

serial modem connection

I configured the serial modem in my P6-550 AIX 5.3 box But i dont have telephone line. when I run the command # cu -l /dev/tty1 the output is as follows does it mean that my modem is responding to the command? can i say my serial port is working and communicating fine? Connected ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchangba
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

file transfer using AWK over serial port

I have a unix system that only has AWK to program with which hooks up to a windows or linux based system with all progamming and software capabilities. The link between the systems is typically a 9600 baud TTY port on the AWK system and COM1 on the other system. I can cat <filenm> from the unix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobfrog
4 Replies

9. Programming

Serial file transfer protocol / checksums

Hello ppl, I'm working on a windows program simulating an existing Unix program, the program is a firmware downloader, it sends a binary firmware file through the serial port (rs232) to a Set-Top Box running under unix system too, as i'm a poor unix user and not a unix programmer i choosed the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nidal
10 Replies

10. Solaris

Putty Serial Connection problems

Hi forums, I was wondering if any of you have faced this problem that I have been having for quite some time now regarding serial connection with putty to my Solaris Box Sunfire v250 and Sun v220 and sun v440. The serial connection freezes on my Windows 7 64 and 32 Bit machines. I unplug and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: br1an
3 Replies
re-preinstall(1M)					  System Administration Commands					 re-preinstall(1M)

NAME
re-preinstall - installs the JumpStart software on a system SYNOPSIS
cdrom-mnt-pt/Solaris_XX/Tools/Boot/usr/sbin/install.d/re-preinstall [-m Solaris_boot_dir] [-k platform_name] target-slice DESCRIPTION
re-preinstall installs the JumpStart software (preinstall boot image) on a system, so you can power-on the system and have it automatically install the Solaris software (perform a JumpStart installation on the system). When you turn on a re-preinstalled system, the system looks for the JumpStart software on the system's default boot disk. All new SPARC systems have the JumpStart software already preinstalled. The XX in Solaris_XX is the version number of the Solaris release being used. You can use the re-preinstall command in several ways. The most common way is to run re-preinstall on a system to install the JumpStart software on its own default boot disk. This is useful if you want to restore a system to its original factory conditions. (See the first procedure described in EXAMPLES.) You can also run re-preinstall on a system to install JumpStart software on any attached disk (non-boot disk). After you install the Jump- Start software on a disk, you can move the disk to a different system and perform a JumpStart installation on the different system. (See the second procedure described in EXAMPLES.) re-preinstall creates a standard file system on the specified target-slice (usually slice 0), and re-preinstall makes sure there is enough space on the target-slice for the JumpStart software. If sufficient space is not available, re-preinstall fails with the following message: re-preinstall: target-slice too small xx Megabytes required You can use the format(1M) command to create sufficient space on the target-slice for the JumpStart software. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -k platform_name Platform name of the system that will use the disk with the JumpStart software. The default is the platform name of the system running re-preinstall. (Use the uname(1) command (-i option) to determine a system's platform name.) -m Solaris_boot_dir Absolute path to the Solaris_XX/Tools/Boot subdirectory of a mounted Solaris CD or a Solaris CD copied to disk that re-preinstall uses to install the JumpStart software. The default is root (/), which is where the Solaris CD is mounted in single-user mode. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: target-slice Device name of the disk slice where the JumpStart software will be installed (usually slice 0), for example, c0t3d0s0. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Installing the JumpStart Software on a System's Own Default Boot Disk The following procedure installs the JumpStart software on a system's own default boot disk: 1. From the ok prompt, boot the system from the Solaris media CD or DVD in single-user mode: ok boot cdrom -s 2. The following command installs the Jumpstart software on the System default boot disk, c0t0d0s0 on a Solaris 9 system: example# /usr/sbin/install.d/re-preinstall c0t0d0s1 3. Reboot the slice: example# reboot disk:b Example 2: Installing the JumpStart Software on a System's Attached (non-boot) Disk The following procedure installs the JumpStart software on a system's attached (non-boot) disk: 1. Mount the Solaris CD or DVD if vold(1M) is not running or CD or DVD is not mounted. 2. Use the format(1M) command to determine the target-slice where JumpStart will be installed. 3. Use the uname(1) command (-i option) to determine the platform name of the system that will use the re-preinstalled disk 4. Run re-preinstall with the -m Solaris_boot_dir option if the Solaris CD or DVD is not mounted on /cdrom. The following command installs the JumpStart software on the system's attached disk for a system with a Sun4u kernel architecture, and it uses the Solaris CD or DVD mounted with vold(1M) on a Solaris 9 system: example# /cdrom/cdrom/s1/usr/bin/install.d/re-preinstall -m /cdrom/cdrom/s1 -k sun4u c0t2d0s0 EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error has occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris CD, | | |SPARC Platform Edition) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
uname(1), eeprom(1M), format(1M), mount(1M), vold(1M), attributes(5) Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations SunOS 5.10 9 Apr 2002 re-preinstall(1M)