Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: problem with awk command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem with awk command Post 302438662 by Scott on Tuesday 20th of July 2010 10:26:12 AM
Old 07-20-2010
Hi.

Perhaps your file is missing a new line on the last line?

Code:
$ echo Hello > file1
$ printf World >> file1
$ cat file1
Hello
World$ wc -l file1
       1 file1
$ awk 1 file1 | wc -l

edit: changed "original input file" to "file", it was confusing

Last edited by Scott; 07-20-2010 at 11:35 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in awk command

Hello all, i am new one to this forum. : i have file with these contents.. internal://project/squid-internal-static/icons/anthony-xpm.gif http://widget.blogrush.com/img/br.png http://www.wingware.com/css/print http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/advanced/filterwarning.css... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: viveksnv
3 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

AWK command problem

How can I write an AWK so it could print some fixed strings and concatenate that with other words from an input file. Also having a string like "go" in the next line in the output file as below: Example: A fixed string like: "Hello my" and the input file is: friend mother father... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sybase08
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with sub command (awk) and numbers

Hi, I am trying to perform a simple soustraction between two floating numbers and cannot get it done for some reason due to the use of the sub command. The following is the straight-forward result of the soustraction: $ echo | gawk '{a=968;b=967.99;c=a-b;print c}' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in awk command

Hello, I am getting problem in awk command during matching (using if in awk) when there is special character "" I have tried by loosing the special meaning, still its not working Below is my code: set pinname_watch = "DCORRECT" set pinname = "DCORRECT\" echo 'defineGateSize... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with awk command

I have written some code in a KSH script to find the index of the character in a string like this #!usr/bin/ksh string="Hi How are you" awk 'BEGIN {print index ($string, "are")}' My expected output should be : 8 but it is giving the out put as : 0 I wanted to store that index value in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanth424
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with awk command in script.

#!/bin/sh date=`date +%y%m%d -d"1 day ago"` inbound_dir=/vis/logfiles/to_solmis cp `grep -il ST~856~ $inbound_dir/*$date*` /vis/sumit/in_ASN/ echo 'SENDER,RECEIVER,DATE,TIME,ASNUMBER' > a.csv for i in /vis/sumit/in_ASN/* do ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrima.pratima
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias problem with awk command

Hi to all, I'm facing some problems when adding an alias like: #alias list="ls -al | awk '{ print $1, $2, $3, $4, (($5/1048576))"\t", $6, $7, $8, $9 }'" and when I enter: #list I get: Syntax Error The source line is 1. The error context is { print >>> , <<< awk:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enux
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Variable and AWK command

Okay, so I am trying to use a count variable to reference the column of output sent from an echo statement. So I am trying to do this #!/bin/bash CURRENT=$PWD VAR=3 CHANGE=`echo $CURRENT | awk -F "/" '{ print \$$VAR }'` This instead of giving me the third instance after the "/" gives... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkjp2011
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting problem in awk command

Hi, I have one file with tab delimited values in it. i want to increase the value of 6th field by 2 if value of 3rd field is greater than 2 . The command is working fine but space between the field is getting removed after adding. below is the file and the command Filename: test1.txt ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi_agarwalla
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution Problem with awk command

Hi All, I am trying to find a word from a file in loop. while read i; do DB_Name=$i awk '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++)if($i~/$DB_Name/)print $(i)}' $BTEQ_NAME > $DB_Name_TableList.txt done <Param.txt here Param.txt contents data as ODS_TARGT_RECV FIN_TARGT... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi Gupta
7 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)