Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep Variable From File
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep Variable From File Post 302438420 by Franklin52 on Monday 19th of July 2010 03:44:34 PM
Old 07-19-2010
This line:
Code:
lower=`tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]' < $i`

should be:
Code:
lower=`echo $i | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]'`

To compare integers this line:
Code:
if [ $? != 1 ]

should be:
Code:
if [ $? -ne 1 ]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep from a file variable

I am wanting to test the output from a script. If the out put = Object does not exist. I need to delete the output file. I am using , filecontents=`grep -i Object does not exist. $1.txt` then I test the variable with, if ; then delete file But I get an error, grep: can't open... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep a variable?

Hi, I'd like to grep a variable that I saved in the program. Like grep '0\$variable1' file1 Does someone know what's wrong with this command? Thanks a lot! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in variable data from another file - grep

Hello! I think this should be an easy solution. I have a large file with many fields of data. The first field has a unique identifier (a subject number) for every record for a chunk of data. Something like this: There were ten experimental conditions (ec), but the ec is identified by only... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccox85
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep to return a code from accessing variable file name

All I want to do is find out if the string 'NO' is in a file by checking for a return code of 0 if there is a match. The grep works fine on the command line directly naming the file but I am obviously not using the correct syntax within the shell script as I consistently get the error message ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SusanDAC
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep using variable

how can I use grep with a variable to find a value? cat data.out Hello World grep "Hello World" data.out Hello World ## Value found I want to do something like this but can't seem to get it to work any suggestions would be appreciated. var="Hello World" grep $var data.out (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep through a variable

I want to search a text in file but that file is pointing to variable. ex: file=there was nothing special grep "there was nothing" $file but its not working . Can u let me know that how we can use variable($file) in grep command. Please use code tags (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: allthanksquery
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep using variable

I have a pattern like: column "5" is missing PS: the no is in double quotes. The number usally changes, so we use a loop to grep. grep 'column "$number" is missing' filename.txt But it is not working.... How to solve this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

(BASH) Using a loop variable to grep something in a file?

Hi, I have a loop running until a variable L that is read previously in the full script. I'd like to grep some information in an input file at a line that contains the value of the loop parameter $i. I've tried to use grep, but the problem is nothing is written in the FILE files. It seems grep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DMini
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to grep the variable from file

Hi, I am looking for the following: 1. A command to 'grep' the variable from a file 2. And check whether the entered variable is empty in that file I have a file as given below: IAGLOBAL_USERID=admin I want to check with a whether the variable contains a value, say here its admin if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbashyam
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep variable

I've got a file that I'm trying to grep through that looks like this: alpha1 alpha2 alpha3 beta1 beta2 gamma5 gamma6 gamma7 gamma8 gamma9 and I want the output to only contain the line with the highest value for each, so the output I want is: alpha3 beta2 gamma9 I also need... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiberione
11 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)