Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print directory name along with their path Post 302438111 by Habitual on Sunday 18th of July 2010 08:47:42 PM
Old 07-18-2010
find `pwd` /home/user/ -type d

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

split and print $PATH

Hello simple question : how can i split the $PATH by the ":" seperator with one liner ? mybe using awk is there any builtin function in awk that splits and prints the output ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Howto Print File Path or Print the Filename

I'm trying to clean up my samba share and need to print the found file or print the path of the image it tried to searched for. So far I have this but can't seem to get the logic right. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? for FILE in `cat list`; do if ; then ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: overkill
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find . -printf" without prepended "." path? Getting path to current working directory?

If I enter (simplified): find . -printf "%p\n" then all files in the output are prepended by a "." like ./local/share/test23.log How can achieve that a.) the leading "./" is omitted and/or b.) the full path to the current directory is inserted (enclosed by brackets and a blank)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

print all filenames in directory with path to another file

hi, i have a directory at /path/unix with the following files 1.txt 2.txt 3.txt 4.txt I want to make another file called filenames.txt at a different location called /path/home. So, my output file would be /path/home/filenames.txt with contents /path/unix/1.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print only the final path of subdirectories?

Hello, stumped with the find command to show the final path of subdirectories. Used the command find /dir1 -type d Output: /dir1/dirA /dir1/dirA/dirB /dir1/dirA/dirB/dirC Desired output is: /dir1/dirA/dirB/dirC Please help with awk statement or find syntax. Thanks in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A way to print only part of directory path

Hi, So I struggled to find a solution to the following problem: I want to make sed print only part of multiple different paths. So lets say we have /path/path1/path2/logs/bla/blabla /path/path1/path2/path3/logs/yadda/yadda/yadda Can someone suggest a way to make sed or other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dampio
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
pwd(1)								   User Commands							    pwd(1)

NAME
pwd - return working directory name SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/pwd DESCRIPTION
The pwd utility writes an absolute path name of the current working directory to standard output. Both the Bourne shell, sh(1), and the Korn shell, ksh(1), also have a built-in pwd command. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of pwd: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. If an error is detected, output will not be written to standard output, a diagnostic message will be written to standard error, and the exit status will not be 0. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cd(1), ksh(1), sh(1), shell_builtins(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
``Cannot open ..'' and ``Read error in ..'' indicate possible file system trouble and should be referred to a UNIX system administrator. NOTES
If you move the current directory or one above it, pwd may not give the correct response. Use the cd(1) command with a full path name to correct this situation. SunOS 5.10 28 Mar 1995 pwd(1)