Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Renaming Movies (or Flipping Portions of Filenames Using sed or awk) Post 302438017 by radoulov on Saturday 17th of July 2010 12:26:31 PM
Old 07-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcwayx

[...]What's the purpose to add "--" after mv, I never use like this way before.
-- indicates end of options. It's there for extra protection.
Consider the extreme case when the movie name begins with a dash:
Code:
% mv 2010_-90_Celsius__1080p -90_Celsius_2010
mv: unknown option -- 9
Try `mv --help' for more information.
% mv -- 2010_-90_Celsius__1080p -90_Celsius_2010
%

This User Gave Thanks to radoulov For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming of multiple filenames

Hi All, I need to rename the file names. I need to rename for example as follows file001 to flat1 file100 to flat100 Thanks Shash :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi_kiran_v
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming of multiple filenames

Hi All, I need to rename the multiple file names. I need to rename for example as follows bas100e1_jun05 to FLAT1 bas100e2_jun05 to FLAT2 bas100e18_jun05 to FLAT18 Please not that I can cut_jun05 from the filename. Madhan had helped with a similar kind of script. But this is a new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi_kiran_v
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

renaming filenames

I have 7 files with 7 different names coming into a specified folder on weekly basis, i need to pick a file one after another and load into oracle table using sql loader. I am using ksh to do this. So in the process if the file has error records and if sql loader fails to load into oracle tables,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpv0002
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

mass renaming files with complex filenames

Hi, I've got files with names like this : _Some_Name_178_HD_.mp4 _Some_Name_-_496_Vost_SD_(720x400_XviD_MP3).avi Goffytofansub_Some name 483_HD.avi And iam trying to rename it with a regular pattern. My gola is this : Ep 178.mp4 Ep 496.avi Ep 483.avi I've tried using sed with... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: VLaw
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

renaming multiple files using sed or awk one liner

hi, I have a directory "test" under which there are 3 files a.txt,b.txt and c.txt. I need to rename those files to a.pl,b.pl and c.pl respectively. is it possible to achieve this in a sed or awk one liner? i have searched but many of them are scripts. I need to do this in a one liner. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming files & folder according to the similarities in filenames

hello does someone want to help me for this one ? i want to rename files & a folder according to the similarities in filenames for example : the file with the good name cglogo tougl1953 dgmel bogd 01 -- ttgductoog ggdté gollogtd.ext1the others files needed to be renamed cglogo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mc2z674gj
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming Filenames by replacing a part

Hi, I have little experience on Shell scripts, I searched the forum but couldn't make out what I want. I want to rename a set of files to a new file name a_b_20100101 c_d_20100101 ....................... ...................... I want to rename the files to a_b_20140101... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JaisonJ
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming files with Spaces in Filenames

Entry level scripter. Any help appreciated. for file in *; do rename '4321_' '' $file ; done Doesn't work for files with spaces in between FOr eg 4321_1004.dat is renamed to 1004.dat but 4321_1004 2008.dat stays the same (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davnavin
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Match Strings between two files, print portions of each file together when matched ([g]awk)

I have two files and desire to use the strings from $1 of file 1 (file1.txt) as search criteria to find matches in $2 of file 2 (file2.txt). If matches are found I want to output the entire line of file 2 (file2.txt) followed by fields $2-$11 of file 1 (file1.txt). I can find the matches, I cannot... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Match Fields between two files, print portions of each file together when matched in ([g]awk)'

I've written an awk script to compare two fields in two different files and then print portions of each file on the same line when matched. It works reasonably well, but every now and again, I notice some errors and cannot seem to figure out what the issue may be and am turning to you for help. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
2 Replies
pia(1)							      General Commands Manual							    pia(1)

NAME
pia - play media files SYNOPSIS
pia [ options ] movie DESCRIPTION
pia is a small X11 tool which plays movie files. OPTIONS
pia understands the usual toolkit options (-geometry + friends). Additional options are: -h display help text -v be verbose. -debug enable debug messages. -dsp <dev> Use OSS device <dev> for sound. -noxv Disable Xvideo extension. -nogl Disable OpenGL. -noaudio Don't play sound. -novideo Don't play video. -slow n Slowdown video playback by factor n. n=2 doubles playback time, ... This also turns off audio playback. SUPPORTED MOVIE FORMATS
Main purpose of this utility is to playback movie files recorded by xawtv, motv and streamer. It should be able to playback every AVI or QuickTime movie written by one of the mentioned utilities. Feel free to submit a bug report if this doesn't work for some file. QuickTime pia uses libquicktime to decode quicktime movies, thus it should be able to decode and playback all movies with codecs supported by libquicktime. AVI AVI support is very limited. Video: uncompressed RGB data (15 and 24 bpp) and mjpeg is supported. Audio: only uncompressed PCM data works. WAV WAV files are playable too, with the same limitation like AVI audio: only uncompressed PCM data. AUTHOR
Gerd Knorr <kraxel@bytesex.org> COPYRIGHT
2002 Gerd Knorr Copyright (C) 2002 Gerd Knorr <kraxel@bytesex.org> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA. (c) 2002 Gerd Knorr pia(1)