Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Breaking "while read" also breaks the parent process Post 302437798 by chebarbudo on Friday 16th of July 2010 06:24:58 AM
Old 07-16-2010
Thanks pludi, I love your answer which is fairly new to me.
So basically you do:
Code:
trap waiting=0 USR1

Which I guess means: "waiting becomes 0 as soon as the signal USR1 is received"
And then you do:
Code:
kill -USR1 $ppid

Which I guess means: "Send signal USR1 to the process"
Can you confirm?
I read through man kill and I still have one question?
Are you strictly limited to the list of signals mentioned in the man page?
What makes you choose USR1?
I guess you need a safe signal that would not be easily used by other processes.

Thanks for your help
Santiago

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to request a "read" or "delivered" receipt for mails

Dears, I've written a script which allows me to send mails in different formats with different attaches. Now I still want to add a feature to this script. My users would like to be able to receive a "read" or "delivered" receipt for their mails. The script send mails on behalve of an specific... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: plelie2
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Breaking input with "read" command

In this post, Perderabo's script says echo 05/06/25 14:15:56 | IFS=" /:" read Y1 M1 D1 h1 m1 s1 which, if I am not wrong, will break the input into Y1, M1 et al. I tried the following in my code #! /bin/ksh # per.sh typeset -R2 HOUR=00 typeset -R2 MIN=00 typeset -R2 SEC=00 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -p "prompt text" foo say "read: bad option(s)" in Bourne-Shell

Hallo, i need a Prompting read in my script: read -p "Enter your command: " command But i always get this Error: -p: is not an identifier When I run these in c-shell i get this error /usr/bin/read: read: bad option(s) How can I use a Prompt in the read command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
9 Replies

4. Red Hat

"service" , "process" and " daemon" ?

Friends , Anybody plz tell me what is the basic difference between "service" , "process" and " daemon" ? Waiting for kind reply .. .. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Purpose of "read" and "$END$" in ksh ?

Hi, Could anyone please shed some light on the following script lines and what is it doing as it was written by an ex-administrator? cat $AMS/version|read a b verno d DBVer=$(/usr/bin/printf "%7s" $verno) I checked that the cat $AMS/version command returns following output: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbadmin100
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from "list1" and list matches in "list2"

I want to print any matching IP addresse in List1 with List 2; List 1 List of IP addresses; 161.85.58.210 250.57.15.129 217.23.162.249 74.76.129.101 30.221.177.237 3.147.200.59 170.58.142.64 127.65.109.33 150.167.242.146 223.3.20.186 25.181.180.99 2.55.199.32 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop breaking when using "ssh" command inside

Hi , I am trying to read a list of hosts from a config file and trying to get file list from that host. For this I have used one while loop. cat "$ARCHIVE_CFG_FILE" | sed '/^$/d' | sed '/^#/d' | while read ARCHIVE_CFG do SOURCE_SERVER_NAME=`echo "$ARCHIVE_CFG" | awk -F '|' '{ print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies
PMSIGNAL(1)						      General Commands Manual						       PMSIGNAL(1)

NAME
pmsignal - send a signal to one or more processes SYNOPSIS
$PCP_BINADM_DIR/pmsignal [-a|-l] [-n] [-s signal] [PID ...|name ...] DESCRIPTION
pmsignal provides a cross-platform event signalling mechanism for use with tools from the Performance Co-Pilot toolkit. It can be used to send a named signal (only HUP, USR1, TERM, and KILL are accepted). to one or more processes. The processes are specified using PID or the binary name (with -a option). If a signal is not specified, then the TERM signal will be sent. On Linux and UNIX platforms, pmsignal is a simple wrapper around the kill(1) command. On Windows, the is no direct equivalent to this mechanism, and so an alternate mechanism has been implemented - this is only honoured by PCP tools, however, not all Windows utilities. PCP ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables with the prefix PCP_ are used to parameterize the file and directory names used by PCP. On each installation, the file /etc/pcp.conf contains the local values for these variables. The $PCP_CONF variable may be used to specify an alternative configura- tion file, as described in pcp.conf(5). SEE ALSO
kill(1), killall(1), pcp.conf(5) and pcp.env(5). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PMSIGNAL(1)